Biggest/tallest tire on 15x4.5

-

65MagnumFish

65MagnumFish
Reaction score
I have a 65’barracuda that has a beautiful set of sbp 15x4.5 steelies. I’m wondering which size tires will work to give me the widest and tallest option? I’m using the wheels all away around until I can acquire something wider for the rear. I heard 215/65/15 would be ok but wasn’t sure about that info? Appreciate the help.

I have run a 26x7.50 on a 15x4.5 for years. THey clear and work fine.

Minimum rim width for a 215/65/15 is 6”.

Do you seriously want the biggest/tallest for your barracuda? I guarantee the tallest won't fit. Street or strip?
Goodyear makes a 28x4.5x15 for a 3-5" rim. M/T makes a 29x4.5 for a 4"rim. Both of those are front drag tires, though I think they MIGHT have a dot.
You can get a 205/75x15 street tire, 27" tall, for a 4.5 rim, though recommended is a 5". I bet you can't get that to work on your barracuda either, without a jacked up front end gasser stance.
I would look for something around 25" tall, maybe a 195/70x15.
(I have a 185/65x15 on a 15x3.5 centerline, but it is shorter and wider than I wanted..... but they were available when I NEEDED something)
You can go to tire size.com and search 500 different size tires for what you want. Then you just have to find somebody that makes them.

Do you seriously want the biggest/tallest for your barracuda? I guarantee the tallest won't fit. Street or strip?
Goodyear makes a 28x4.5x15 for a 3-5" rim. M/T makes a 29x4.5 for a 4"rim. Both of those are front drag tires, though I think they MIGHT have a dot.
You can get a 205/75x15 street tire, 27" tall, for a 4.5 rim, though recommended is a 5". I bet you can't get that to work on your barracuda either, without a jacked up front end gasser stance.
I would look for something around 25" tall, maybe a 195/70x15.
(I have a 185/65x15 on a 15x3.5 centerline, but it is shorter and wider than I wanted..... but they were available when I NEEDED something)
You can go to tire size.com and search 500 different size tires for what you want. Then you just have to find somebody that makes them.
I guess I was after something that filled in the wheel well opening and didn’t make the car look like it was sitting like a Honda Civic. The rims I got with the car are in super good shape. I didn’t realize their size until later. Thanks for the advise on what will and won’t work.

2 things;

To fill a wheel opening you need tire height, but also proper ride height

As far as your question about other brands in 26x7.50 size, look up the actual height and section width of the MT 26x7.50 and plug it into the summit racing filter.

2 things;

To fill a wheel opening you need tire height, but also proper ride height

As far as your question about other brands in 26x7.50 size, look up the actual height and section width of the MT 26x7.50 and plug it into the summit racing filter.
Great, did I mention I wanted the rims for all 4. I’m confused at which car originally ran 4.5x15? I know not an early a. Yet they are Chrysler rims small bolt pattern.

4.5x FIFTEEN factory steelies, in 5 on 4??. I have no idea where they could have come from. I've never heard of factory 15" wheel for a 5 on 4. There are aftermarket 15s with 5 on 4, but they are all 15x6 or bigger.

Last edited:
They only make two tires that meet those specs and can be run on all 4 corners

Coker 56440 and Coker 56450

4.5x FIFTEEN factory steelies, in 5 on 4??. I have no idea where they could have come from. I've never heard of factory 15" wheel for a 5 on 4. There are aftermarket 15s with 5 on 4, but they are all 15x6 or bigger.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They had Chrysler sticker to the inside part of the rim. They came with the car and we’re in great shape. I knew they were narrow but I thought they were 5.5 not 4.5. Unless I’m measuring wrong? I don’t think so though. I measured from inside of the wheel lip on the rim, not from the outside. I’m glad I mentioned about what I have because I was thinking if these are stock how come there aren’t many tires?

I do NOT mean to insult you, but I don't know how much experience with wheels/tires you have.
Assuming no tires on the rims to tell you what size they are, measure across the front of the wheel, at the widest part . If you get 15"+, those are 14"wheels. If you get 16" plus, those are 15s, and unicorns!
My 67 273 barracuda has 14x4.5 stock. The /6 cars are mostly 13s.
Edit: Heck, even the B-bodies in the sixties only came with big pattern wheels, and15s ONLY on Hemis and sixpacks. Everything else got fourteen!
2nd edit. Yes you are measuring the width properly, between the beads.

Last edited:
I do NOT mean to insult you, but I don't know how much experience with wheels/tires you have.
Assuming no tires on the rims to tell you what size they are, measure across the front of the wheel, at the widest part . If you get 15"+, those are 14"wheels. If you get 16" plus, those are 15s, and unicorns!
My 67 273 barracuda has 14x4.5 stock. The /6 cars are mostly 13s.
Edit: Heck, even the B-bodies in the sixties only came with big pattern wheels, and15s ONLY on Hemis and sixpacks. Everything else got fourteen!
2nd edit. Yes you are measuring the width properly, between the beads.
Awesome info. When I get home Sunday I will double check in diameter and send photos. At least I had the width measurement correct it seems. Thanks for the help.

I have run 215-70-14s on 4.5 rims.
Lil Cuda fender 01.jpg

Lilcuda1.jpg

Great picture Jim! Looks awesome! The picture helps me a lot, it’s exactly what I’ve been searching for.
33IMP you are correct in my mismeasuring of my rims. They are indeed 14x4.5. Thanks for the push back on what I “thought” my rims were. Totally made sense how you recommended I measure the diameter since I measured the width the correct way. Feel a bit stupid on sending out wrong info. But by reevaluating the wheels I saved myself from buying a set of 15”tires. Really appreciate the help from everyone. I’ll get a photo of the wheels.

-
Back