Birth of the Blue Missile

-
Here are the progress pics from the wiring harness work.
I first labeled all of the conductors (more than 30) and then disassembled the factory connectors to reuse the crimp ends.
In most cases I increased the size of the wire a couple of gauges. I reassigned some of the conductors Im not using for the airbag to the horn. This allowed me to split the feeds from the paddle shifters, so that the up shifters are separate from the down shifters circuit wise. I can always recombine them at the other end.
Because I still dont know what it will take to integrate the paddles with the 545RFE its easier to leave myself all possible options.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo327.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 741
  • Photo343.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 735
  • Photo342.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 729
The next bit is the shifter and the center console.
I cut the shifter's handle down 3.5" to compensate for the higher driveshaft tunnel. Here it is located between the seats.
More later
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo346.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 716
  • Photo347.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 720
Here is the latest progress:
I got the touch screen monitor for the Nav & computer system in and mounted.
I also got part of the duct work redirecting the flow over the front spoiler in place. I made it out of stainless because it was handy.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo350.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 703
  • Photo352.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 700
A failed pin attempt could result in a very large capacitor discharging through some strategically placed wires placed 2" apart in the seat right where ones nether-regions would be.

This build reminds me a lot of a van I helped a buddy build about a decade ago with what he called a VCS (Vehicular Combat System)...no worries, no actual vehicular combat ever took place. It was just a build for fun. There were so many little details it was insane, Although my favorite was a suggestion I had that he implemented. To alleviate tailgaters he installed a pneumatic anvil dropper behind the rear bumper.

OK,
heres the rough in of the console. You have the shifter, then the PIN pad and the avionics switch module. As much as it is a cruiser, a spot for two cup holders. Then on the angled face you have a two way radio, above that a 2DIN spot for the AM/FM CD player, and to the left of that the white thing represents the controls for the AC. Im still deciding what it all will be made of. more later
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo355.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 660
Wow....lots of progress since the last time I checked!
You building a "Blue Missile" or the Space Shuttle?!!!!

Captain,
thanks for the kudos, but what Im building is just middle of the road technologically.
There is a MoPar that really pushes the envelope. Its a 2009 Dodge Challenger with fighter jet instrumentation, and a co-pilot seat.Ive just seen pictures but Im sure it will be at SEMA.
I am looking into a targeting display for the main computer but I havent found one yet:grommit:
Andrew

Attachments

• 2009-Dodge-Challenger-Vapor-by-Galpin-Auto-Sports-Steering-Wheels-and-Computer-System-1920x1440.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 659
Captain,
thanks for the kudos, but what Im building is just middle of the road technologically.
There is a MoPar that really pushes the envelope. Its a 2009 Dodge Challenger with fighter jet instrumentation, and a co-pilot seat.Ive just seen pictures but Im sure it will be at SEMA.
I am looking into a targeting display for the main computer but I havent found one yet:grommit:
Andrew

Wow dude. Looking really good!

Denny,
in the charger the two steering wheels are linked. As you turn one wheel the other turns as well.Andrew

My wife likes to try and be the co-pilot, can you imagine if she had a steering wheel. The roads would not be a safe place to be anymore.

man..that thing is really different....great inspiration ....not so sure I'd go for the double steering wheel thing...I get into enough trouble with just one

Here is the progress on the center console. I used 1/4" plywood and 3/8" bendy plywood. All is covered in two layers of carbon. I still have to make the cushion for the arm rest, and everything needs to be sanded down for a gloss coat of epoxy then again for an automotive clear.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo358.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 588
  • Photo359.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 578
  • Photo360.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 575
  • Photo363.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 583
  • Photo362.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 575
heres a couple more pics with the arm rest in place

Attachments

• Photo367.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 560
  • Photo368.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 562
IMHO, it really needs some texture or a larger molding along the bottom. It's way too smooth and sheer. No offense meant, just think it would look a world better that way

Hey Andrew, I know we have the same seats, have you tried wiring them yet?

I agree... maybe carpet the lower half of the console. Break up the great wall of console.

Tincup,
wiring what? Which seats?
The seats do break up the length of the console, there is at most 6" of leg room between the front and rear seats. When all is said and done you will see very little of the console.
Oh by the way, that module of switches for the console that I was quoted $330 for a couple of years ago, turned into a $3770 quote last week.:angry7:
I got an even higher one after that.:angry3::angry3::angry3:
Ill get some similar switches from digikey and build the module myself as always.
Andrew

-
Back