Blueprint crate engine

-

58plaza

Reaction score
Newer to the site and would appreciate some guidance. I’ve read a lot of positive comments about Blueprint crate engines and would like to have one installed in my 58 plaza club sedan (318 poly original). Will their 408 stroker mate up to the existing power flite transmission? If no, is there an adapter plate or? Can the power flite take the additional power without modification? I’ve seen comments that the current rear end (7 1/4”?) should be swapped out but can it be used if the car isn’t being raced or driven hard? Thanks.

Newer to the site and would appreciate some guidance. I’ve read a lot of positive comments about Blueprint crate engines and would like to have one installed in my 58 plaza club sedan (318 poly original). Will their 408 stroker mate up to the existing power flite transmission? If no, is there an adapter plate or? Can the power flite take the additional power without modification? I’ve seen comments that the current rear end (7 1/4”?) should be swapped out but can it be used if the car isn’t being raced or driven hard? Thanks.
This may help you with the rear end.

No way a 7 1\4 holds up to a 400 plus hp Stroker.

1957/1958 Plymouth rear end widths...

No. You will need an adapter plate. If I remember correctly, the actual bolt pattern is the same, but the dowel pins are in different locations. Wildcap or HotHeads can help you out.

I don’t get it, if it’s not being raced or driven hard, why do you need a 465hp crate engine?

Gonna have to replace the trans and rear end at a minimum to handle the stroker.

I don’t get it, if it’s not being raced or driven hard, why do you need a 465hp crate engine?
It’s more of a want than a need. May opt for the 375hp version but I don’t plan on doing it again so I’m checking my options. Thanks.

I'd be willing to bet you have an 8 3/4 under your 58. Look at the back of the rearend. Smooth, round, no cover? 8 3/4. Bolt-on rear cover? Something else.

I'd be willing to bet you have an 8 3/4 under your 58. Look at the back of the rearend. Smooth, round, no cover? 8 3/4. Bolt-on rear cover? Something else.
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Appears to be smooth, round.

image.jpg

Okay.
I don't think you'll break that with a 408 and auto (I'd look into a later model aluminum case 727, in place of your iron case trans, I wouldn't even bother looking for an adapter). But I'm also willing to bet that ....
1. There's not much gear in that rear, and
2. There's no suregrip in it.
So, one wheel peel for a couple hundred feet, with a b.p.408.

Personally.....
Imo, I'd buy the lesser version of the 408, and plan on using the savings for a aluminum case 727.
Better yet!... a 518 overdrive swap. (Find out what gear is in the 8 3/4.)
You do want to drive this, yes?
(I'd use the Iron two speed for keeping my trash can from flying down the street in the wind).

I would go with the big power one, I never understood “this has too much power” If it runs on pump gas there is no reason not to. You don’t like the mileage, don’t push on the go pedal so hard. It will help with the highway gears that are probably in the 8 3/4”. There is no reliability issues with a traditional small block stroker and lets all be honest, she is definitely big boned! :):)

I would go with the big power one, I never understood “this has too much power” If it runs on pump gas there is no reason not to. You don’t like the mileage, don’t push on the go pedal so hard. It will help with the highway gears that are probably in the 8 3/4”. There is no reliability issues with a traditional small block stroker and lets all be honest, she is definitely big boned! :):)
I would too if I’m being honest. Hell if it were mine it would probably have a twin turbo g3hemi in it. But that’s not how I interpreted the OPs thoughts on the car. “Not raced or driven hard” to me says cruiser and my head moves to stockish power and an overdrive.

Plaza sedan is bottom line 58 (or near it) and I'll bet it's lighter than some 70s A-bodies. Aluminum head 408, and a 904, would be a couple hundred pounds less than an all-iron poly, and iron powerflite.
Edit: Plaza is even down-scale of a savoy in 58. Two door sedan probably the lightest 58 Plymouth you could buy. Frankly, I'm surprised it has a poly and auto, I would have expected a six cylinder flattie and a three on the tree.

Last edited:
No thanks to me needed, the other folks mentioned it may have one. I never would've known that. I know what one looks like is all lol.
Okay.
I don't think you'll break that with a 408 and auto (I'd look into a later model aluminum case 727, in place of your iron case trans, I wouldn't even bother looking for an adapter). But I'm also willing to bet that ....
1. There's not much gear in that rear, and
2. There's no suregrip in it.
So, one wheel peel for a couple hundred feet, with a b.p.
Personally.....
Imo, I'd buy the lesser version of the 408, and plan on using the savings for a aluminum case 727.
Better yet!... a 518 overdrive swap. (Find out what gear is in the 8 3/4.)
You do want to drive this, yes?
(I'd use the Iron two speed for keeping my trash can from flying down the street in the wind).
Yes, she’ll be a driver, but not daily. If replacing the trans, how would I know which one to choose? A quick search online generates numerous options, which vary widely in $$. Will the push buttons currently used for the power flite work with a 727 trans?

-
Back