Boat reviews

-
I wouldn't hesitate to take a hard look at a Yammy truthfully. My Merc guy retired so now it's either learn the process or go late model and I am OK with figuring things out....

JW

I'm looking to upgrade my 16' tin tiller. Looking for mainly fishing but also to yank the kids and grandkids around. My preference is aluminium and a minimum 16' with 60 HP.
There is quite a few different mfg out there on the market....Lowe, Legend, Mirrocraft, Princecraft. Motor wise I'm leaning towards a Merc outboard.
Anyone got reviews/advice? Any I should steer clear of?
Thanks
Steve
After owning several boats over the years I can only give you one recommendation.
Dont buy a boat. Save your hard earned money and rent one when you need one.
Take the Kids on a nice vacation after all this Kung Flu crap is over.
You and them will need it by then
Good luck

I hear what your saying but I've owned a few boats. I'm not a newbie. 3 kids and 4 grandkids on a trip? Think I can afford that lol. I'd rather make use of a boat 8-9 months a year. Lots more memories there than a trip.
After owning several boats over the years I can only give you one recommendation.
Good luck

….. Kinda like PB and mayo....it works!

:eek:Huh, what?
.......(thinking about that)...……….....…OMG, ........Hey wait just a minute! ..… Whadda' ya' tryin' ta pull? …....I'm not pregnant!:lol:

Lol, All seriousness aside Steve, I'll try the vinegar next time and report back.

Good luck
I have owned a boat since 2002 and would never not have. My kids have grown up on them and we spent lots of time together. Great for the family. Momma never wanted to spend a day at a car show but will spend a week on the lake. Each of us love different things. That is what makes us unique. And yes, it is a 300HP Merc.

IMG-0547.JPG

I have owned a boat since 2002 and would never not have. My kids have grown up on them and we spent lots of time together. Great for the family. Momma never wanted to spend a day at a car show but will spend a week on the lake. Each of us love different things. That is what makes us unique. And yes, it is a 300HP Merc.

View attachment 1715489644
Maybe I just getting to old.
Grew up on Big Cedar Lake in WI and have owned 3 lake homes the last on Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
I have owned boats for over 40 years from 12 foot Smokercraft to a classic 1968 Century Coranado hardtop with a inboard 440 and several in between. Spent many years on the water and enjoyed every one of them.
But I no longer will absorb to high $ cost of boat ownership and the fair amount of idiots on the water, really has taken the fun out of it
I have turned the corner and putting my money in classic Mopars and real estate.
Different strokes for different folks

Last edited:
Stay with what you currently have and fish with it! Save your drivable fish's!

Last edited:
I wish I could but I have no space/time/$$ for both cudas. The 69 deserves to be done properly. If it doesnt sell it'll be rattle canned or rot lol.
I would trade for bike/boat/another running mopar.
Stay with what you currently have and fish with it! Save your drivable fish's!

My boat was always a money pit, as well the two watercraft! I did not use for a living or food, they are long gone and actually put $ in the pocket for the good Fish!

Sold the SeaDoos for more than purchase at just the right time by hauling to Florida last year. They sold in less the 24 hours. The 25' SeaRay 350 260 HP was an awesome Boat, but was a freebie and got rid of it the same way but much money dropped!

Last edited:
A quick definition of Money pit:

Boat, cars, gardening, drinking, woodworking, softball, golf, and the list never ends. I have yet to enjoy a hobby that didn't stink up the checking account! Hell, let's not leave chasing women. Now that one really is a Money pit lol....

Pick your interest and keep it realistic. You can either go through 200.00 of Nitrous at the track or 200.00 of fuel at the Marina. It all comes down to what you want. Zero regrets owning a boat personally and looking forward to putzing around on my newly acquired Pontoon.

JW

I spent a lot of time on the water, but last year i gave my fiberglass boat to my son. havent been fishing for a couple years, and if i do go its either fly in to a remote lake or in my good friends boat.

Big thing to consider is the weight. Manitoba conservation has an alumacraft with a yammy 115 4 stroke. 35 mph top end.
Its a slug. It wont get out of the water and on step. It does, but it takes forever.

I like a wide beam shallow type,easier to reach the water over the side.

all i can say is get a hull suited for the body of water you use it on.

Respectively, Money Pits without good storage and that costs $ too!
Mine's a trailer boat and will incur cost to take where ever. That's probably my biggest cost since buying new in '08.
Fortunately I can store mine on premises. Even then the winterize runs into a few bucks more on this V6 VP I/O as compared to my previous Chrysler 4 cyl 90Hp O/B.
After paying the local marine shop a 400 buck bill one time, I've done some things to help control that expense.

I winterize the engine and out drive myself.
Made a re-usable PVC cage to support the $20 HF HD (good for 2-3 years) tarp rather than a shrink wrap. Breaks down and stores in the shed when not in use.

upload_2020-3-20_9-53-10.png
upload_2020-3-20_9-55-54.png

upload_2020-3-20_10-2-1.png
upload_2020-3-20_10-3-23.png

upload_2020-3-20_10-14-16.png

The out drive exhaust is covered with a bucket (red) and the prop shaft with a window washer jug to keep water out.

Pretty slick frame cover Dave, great idea!
Still doing some research and looking for opinions on welded vs riveted hulls?
Also we are lucky enough to be surrounded by lakes so we're close to water but boat will be trailered, not long distances but I wont hesitate to travel hours to fish.
Most lakes wont be too rough, as they would be considered "smaller" but I dont want to hesitate on calmer days to hit Lake Ontario. It's only 45 min from us.
Thanks all keep the reviews/advice coming.
Mine's a trailer boat and will incur cost to take where ever. That's probably my biggest cost since buying new in '08.
Fortunately I can store mine on premises. Even then the winterize runs into a few bucks more on this V6 VP I/O as compared to my previous Chrysler 4 cyl 90Hp O/B.
After paying the local marine shop a 400 buck bill one time, I've done some things to help control that expense.

I winterize the engine and out drive myself.
Made a re-usable PVC cage to support the $20 HF HD (good for 2-3 years) tarp rather than a shrink wrap. Breaks down and stores in the shed when not in use.

View attachment 1715489987 View attachment 1715489988
View attachment 1715489994View attachment 1715489995
View attachment 1715490005

The out drive exhaust is covered with a bucket (red) and the prop shaft with a window washer jug to keep water out.

Went to check out a couple boats today, one was a new legend, outta the budget really and upfront doesnt have a "well" for your feet when cruising.
Thus 2005 Lund I really like. 1 owner 17' 90 Mercury elpt. Not sure what hours on engine. Might go back tomorrow to take a closer look. More than enough power and in great shape, but not much in way of warranty. Anything I should be worried about or look for. It has slight dock rash but in awesome shape.
Also its riveted vs welded? Pros/cons?
20200703_121306.jpg

20200703_115000.jpg

20200703_114637.jpg

20200703_114605.jpg

20200703_131143.jpg

20200703_131150.jpg

20200703_131156.jpg

Steve, u could always take it to a dealer for a check over. I’d rather have rivets than welded. Lund are great quality. I’m not a fan of the Mercs but their is lots out their. Kim

This is a workhorse for Mercury..... At a minimum compression test each cylinder. Anything over 120 is winning. Pull the drainplug on the lower unit and make sure there is no water. Alternator output is worth a look also. There will be an electric motor on the midsection for the Trim unit. If you see alot of bubbling paint and corrosion it's been in saltwater and can also mean the motor has been sitting in water and not drydocked.... It's the same motor I have on my Pontoon and runs great for a 3 cyl......

JW

Thanks guys, went and checked it out again. Turns out it's a 2 owner, traded in both times to this dealership. Dealership has it for sale. They did all of the servicing as far as I know. Havent checked records, water test next week.
Never fished in other than 1st 2 years. Last owner had cottage on an island so it was strictly for commuting back and forth to island. No charging system for trolling motor, but lots of room to install one. Rod holders dont even look like they held a rod. I checked tilt/trim and didnt see anything that could be an issue. I'm hoping that the trolling motor is good enough to pull boat.
Also no stereo.
Thanks all.

20200704_114934.jpg

Thanks guys, went and checked it out again. Turns out it's a 2 owner, traded in both times to this dealership. Dealership has it for sale. They did all of the servicing as far as I know. Havent checked records, water test next week.
Never fished in other than 1st 2 years. Last owner had cottage on an island so it was strictly for commuting back and forth to island. No charging system for trolling motor, but lots of room to install one. Rod holders dont even look like they held a rod. I checked tilt/trim and didnt see anything that could be an issue. I'm hoping that the trolling motor is good enough to pull boat.
Also no stereo.
Thanks all.

Can't go wrong with a Minn-Kota. You can install a head unit later down the road for headlock and such.....

JW

View attachment 1715556089

-
Back