Boat reviews

-
Buddy of mine has a new minnkota unit about 5 years old never used. He has a fiberglass bowrider that would be a pain to mount to. If I need an upgrade theres one nice n handy.:)
I prefer trolling but usually used my 25 Merc for that and the elec troller for shoreline. I doubt I can use 90 for trolling?

Buddy of mine has a new minnkota unit about 5 years old never used. He has a fiberglass bowrider that would be a pain to mount to. If I need an upgrade theres one nice n handy.:)
I prefer trolling but usually used my 25 Merc for that and the elec troller for shoreline. I doubt I can use 90 for trolling?

I'm not much of a trolling man on an Outboard so I will leave you as the pro on this one lol.... I have trolled for Stripers using the 200 on the Ranger but it's out of the norm for me. Electric trolling is my forte but it sounds like you are thinking it out.....

Good luck Steve.....

JW

B.O.A.T.

Break Out Another Thousand

Looks sweet, You only kick around this world once (according to most people anyway) enjoy! :thumbsup:

That Min 55 will troll ya' around in the calm just fine Steve. Some wind may be a challenge for it though.
I had a toolmaker whittle out a pair of aluminum brackets to mount my M-G W55 base plate......
upload_2020-7-5_8-43-4.png

On the outboard, while checking for lower unit water contamination ya' might want to look the skeg over really close. It may reveal horror stories not "remembered" by previous owners.
I'm guessing my outdrive caught some wire reinforcement or such near a replaced over pass one fine day. Never did see it though......
upload_2020-7-5_8-18-13.png

Does the tilt / trim hold?
Find out when the water pump impeller was replaced last.
If you can, take it out on the water see what it does. Vibration, steering, bilge,...........

So deal is done pending a water test. I checked out the skeg and out drive. Doesnt appear to be any issues.
Gotta put a stereo of some sort in it, altho satellite radio from my phone works too.
Gotta look into different types of tow kits. It doesnt come with a pylon for tubing.
There is something out there called a turboswing. Pretty price at $900
TurboSwing | Ski Tow Bar for Outboards - Pull Tubes, Wakeboards, and More

Picked boat up today, water test went great a couple minor things the dealer looked after but no deal killers. New aerator for live well as it didnt work. New plastic panel for drive side. Discovered pass side plastic was split so that gets repaired also. My bud Dan came out with me, he has more experience with this size of boat. He caught the only fish lol, all good as long as boat gets fish. Trolling motor works great. 2 new marine batteries. Depth/fish finder works good, altho it's an older model. Had it pushing 35 mph with more left in it.
After getting home I realized we didnt even pop engine cover off. Popped off and looks brand new. 15 years old with lots of original markings. Very happy!
Hopefully many fish to come, cant wait to drag kids around.

20200711_125243.jpg

20200711_160205.jpg

20200711_160231.jpg

Resized_20200711_143049_3377.jpeg

That's a nice boat.... You can probably screw around with motor height and the prop for a little more but 35 will get you along pretty good.... Those minor repairs are just that, minor. And I am totally digging the cover. That will keep the inside looking new when in the weather.....

JW

Got the full stand up cover too and bimini top?? If that makes sense. Steering needs some attention I think, kinda jerky at high speed. Rep said to try trimming it next time, it may help steering? YouTube it to see what's out there. Might be able to dye the standup top its faded, but solid no tips tears.
Thanks!
That's a nice boat.... You can probably screw around with motor height and the prop for a little more but 35 will get you along pretty good.... Those minor repairs are just that, minor. And I am totally digging the cover. That will keep the inside looking new when in the weather.....

JW

Got the full stand up cover too and bimini top?? If that makes sense. Steering needs some attention I think, kinda jerky at high speed. Rep said to try trimming it next time, it may help steering? YouTube it to see what's out there. Might be able to dye the standup top its faded, but solid no tips tears.
Thanks!

Motor trimmed down when getting on plane. They all vary but somewhere in the 80% plane start trimming. You will feel the motor "free up" and the steering. Is it cable or Hydraulic?

JW

Thanks for the trim info, I'll give it a try. Steering setup is cable. I'm hoping a cleaning and lube/grease. Hope it's not a frayed cable....
Motor trimmed down when getting on plane. They all vary but somewhere in the 80% plane start trimming. You will feel the motor "free up" and the steering. Is it cable or Hydraulic?

JW

Thanks for the trim info, I'll give it a try. Steering setup is cable. I'm hoping a cleaning and lube/grease. Hope it's not a frayed cable....

The steering sector on the motor is one of the big issues with steering cables. Scored and dried cable end and damaged tube because of it. Easy to pull it apart and inspect if it comes to that. I am sure you will figure it out...

JW

Thanks Kim, just had Lori and Piper out in it for a little trip. 1st time in boat for the pooch. Ran good, more sightseeing than flying around. Lori's not a "fisher" so the fishing will wait till tomorrow. Cant wait to drag kids around lol.
Sold the 16' tinner today too.
Now if I could sell the 69, I would be very happy!
That’s awesome Steve. U r gonna love it. No more time for cars now. Kim

Hey Dave do you got any more info on your "boat cover?" Its close to that time of year.
Mine's a trailer boat and will incur cost to take where ever. That's probably my biggest cost since buying new in '08.
Fortunately I can store mine on premises. Even then the winterize runs into a few bucks more on this V6 VP I/O as compared to my previous Chrysler 4 cyl 90Hp O/B.
After paying the local marine shop a 400 buck bill one time, I've done some things to help control that expense.

I winterize the engine and out drive myself.
Made a re-usable PVC cage to support the $20 HF HD (good for 2-3 years) tarp rather than a shrink wrap. Breaks down and stores in the shed when not in use.

View attachment 1715489987 View attachment 1715489988
View attachment 1715489994View attachment 1715489995
View attachment 1715490005

The out drive exhaust is covered with a bucket (red) and the prop shaft with a window washer jug to keep water out.

Hey Dave do you got any more info on your "boat cover?" Its close to that time of year.
Say it ain't so Steve! I'm not ready for cold, rain, or snow.:(
It's basically all 1" schedule 40 pvc, a bunch of tees, elbows, and glue.
First I made the **** pit base (picture below) for two plug in upright posts for the ladder top. With 45° elbows in mind for the bow supports I just took a guess on how high I wanted the front of the ladder to be and cut a post to plug in the front tee. I set a tee on top of the post and started cutting tubes for the ladder top. (the two tubes with the tees in this picture are side to side supports for the ladder not the uprights)
upload_2020-9-9_15-6-59.png

I'm looking for some more pictures I'm sure I have .......................somewhere!

upload_2020-9-9_18-38-34.png

upload_2020-9-9_18-39-50.png

upload_2020-9-9_18-42-23.png

Last edited:
-
Back