Bone stock 318 2bbl 1/4 mile?

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey! 318's take so much "bad wrap" as performers from even Mopar magazines. Stock form, most people don't give 'em any better than 17 seconds.
Just thought I'd see if anyone had some good time slips to prove them wrong with a "stock", and I mean stock 318.
Here goes mine: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere 318 2bbl "Bone Stock" from the 2bbl down. My motor is out of a 1985 Dodge pickup with only the oil pan being changed. With stock auto trans, stock gears in this b-body I went 15.90's at 84 mph. I crossed the finish line in 2nd gear, ha! Because of wheel spin (no traction devices, no posi), I couldn't totally "mash" it off the line. Tried it once and the passenger rear tire broke loose and I went 16's.
Anyone else???????????????????????

Roller cam motor?

2.94 gears?

Not bad, and plenty of room for fairly cheap improvement.

I saw a 30's car with a stock 318, except for the usual eddy intake and 4 barrel with headers mods that ran a super consistant 14.10 every time. Made it to finals and beat a 396 Chevelle with stutter box and wheelie bars!!

Right before I did the 360 swap in my old 71 Dart, I ran the car with the stock 318 2 bbl. Now it had 4.10s and slicks, but the 318 was stock. I don't remember the exact number but it was in the 14.80s.

My experience says those '85-up ones with the Roller cam and 302 heads run better than the older ones by quite a bit, so I'm not that surprised that you're able to run that time.

Now, you're going to need to hop that baby up some, as pretty much all modern cars will whip up on it. My '04 5cyl 2wd Chevrolet Colorado ran 15.8 @ 92 and the '12 Cruze I have will do a 16.0 @ 88 with a 1.4L Turbo engine with only 138hp and 3100 lbs to lug around.

Low 15's in the satellite is great, even with tuned exhaust! Goldduster318, I'll beat that Colorado now! Ha! I recently installed a Weiand action plus and 600 eddy. It added more stomp and pulls a little harder all the way. Now I can roll 5-10 mph on the highway and break the tire loose through 1st gear. I will work with traction then take it back to the strip! By the way, I was disappointed to see it had a flat tappet cam because of todays oil. I researched and learned not all '85's had rollers. Never checked my heads to see if they were 302's.

I know you've moved on now, but I just want to comment on your bone stock times.

I always baselined every car I did mods too. More the a handful were mid- weight, 2bbl, highway gear cars. That 84mph, from my experience, translates to around 175 "net" horsepower, and that's a good running teen. The cars I ran, of many brands, with the 2 series gears and that power, depending on their weight, were in the 16.30-17.00 range. That 15.90 is stellar in my opinion :thumleft:. I love to here about good running combo's, and I think you have one..... I wonder how much "carbon" compression boost that engine had.....lol.

Best friend in high school had a dead stock stripper 70 318 Duster. 3 speed manual, 3.23 SG rear, manual steering, manual 10" brakes, bench seats, rubber floor mats and a trailer hitch. Ran mid 16's as long as you wanted to beat on it.

I seen a '65 Belvedere run at the local 1/8 mile track. It ran 9.6 with a semi stock 318. It had a performer intake/Edelbrock 600 and dual exhaust. 3 on the tree to. It was an 80's model with swirl port heads. I thought it was respectable.

I seen a '65 Belvedere run at the local 1/8 mile track. It ran 9.6 with a semi stock 318. It had a performer intake/Edelbrock 600 and dual exhaust. 3 on the tree to. It was an 80's model with swirl port heads. I thought it was respectable.

Years ago, I took my wifes 74 Dart more door to the track The only thing not stock was a aftermarket 4 bbl manifold and a Mopar/Holley carb (the 2 bbl was shot, and I had these parts on the shelf). Single exhaust and 2.9x gears, but a 23 inch slick, leaving in drive. Car ran 15.8's. Engine had over 100,000 miles on it.

Back in the late '80s I ran my bone stock worn out 318 4 door '69 Coronet to the tune of 16.35 to 16.38, it was consistent as can be and I won my bracket for my first trophy.
I went through 9 rounds! I just left it in drive and floored it on the last yellow, and i let it shift on it's own. Not really any tire spin (maybe a squeak), it had 2:76 gears in it.
This was all done in Spokane Washington, not sure of the elevation.

Throw away the clock........buy a calendar. ;-)

x2. About 4-5 years ago I made two passes with my old '71 Dart at E Town. Was in the fall, decent air. OE 318 2bbl with exhaust manifolds. Had dual exhaust and electronic ignition but otherwise stock everything - 14" street radials, stock converter, 2.94 gears with an open diff. - 17.61 @ 76 mph. Second run picked up a little shifting manually, don't remember exactly what it ran though.

I was urging it on like a tired old horse - c'mon, Nellie! One run there was a ten second car in the other lane. I think he was probably back in the pits before I crossed the finish line!

318 2bbl wins!! I ran my '05 Pontiac Grand Prix at the drag strip! It has the 200 horsepower 3.8 V6. It went 16.20 at 83.5 mph. My (then bone stock) 318 2bbl went 15.90's at 84 as I originally posted. Tell me, how does a 150 (net) horsepower '65 Ply belvedere beat a 200 horse motor in a more aerodynamic, better geared, and about the same weight car????? Is the torque THAT much of a difference to give up 50 horse, gearing and aerodynamics??????

I will be taking my 318 back down since adding the 4bbl. I put a Weiand action plus intake with a 600 eddy. Has more punch and pulls a little stronger. We will see what I can knock off that 15.90. Any guesses?????????????

In Sept. of 69 I bought a new 69 Dart, 318, auto, 2:71 gears. It came with 700:13 tires on it. I got some slotted chrome 14" wheels and G70 for the front and J70 tires for the rears. In March of 70 I took it to Oswego, Ill. and ran it. There was still snow on the ground in places. It ran 17:20s. Later I used an adapter plate to put a Holley 2bl. on it, then it would 16:80s, still winding out in second gear at the finish line.

Back in the late '80s I ran my bone stock worn out 318 4 door '69 Coronet to the tune of 16.35 to 16.38, it was consistent as can be and I won my bracket for my first trophy.
I went through 9 rounds! I just left it in drive and floored it on the last yellow, and i let it shift on it's own. Not really any tire spin (maybe a squeak), it had 2:76 gears in it.
This was all done in Spokane Washington, not sure of the elevation.

Actual elevation is around 1300' or so....I do know that the times here are about .2 off of seal level due to our "corrected air".....Super Street index is 11.10, Super Gas is 10.10 if I remember right....

Years ago I ran a 79 Buick Regal with a Pontyrat 301 in it at Island Dragway in NJ. Went 15.50's....only trophy I ever won was with that car....

68 barracuda 318 , 904 with stock converter, 3.23 sure grip and 245 60r15s went 16.45 @ 89mph. Launched too hard so I spun off the line till the 60 ft marker and didn't shift into third till just before the finish line

68 barracuda 318 , 904 with stock converter, 3.23 sure grip and 245 60r15s went 16.45 @ 89mph. Launched too hard so I spun off the line till the 60 ft marker and didn't shift into third till just before the finish line
Was this a 2bbl ? If so, 89 mph is a fantastic!!! :D I would think with traction that would run a very low 15...

Little 600 holley but the motor is dead stock. Just no traction that day, early Nov. and they weren't prepping the track at Tulsa. Car runs decent for was it is, now has dougs long tube headers and duals but I still have'nt rebuilt the motor

-
Back