Borgeson power steering for A bodies +

-

deputybo

Reaction score
The APR issue of Mopar Action has an article describing the install of a borgeson box in an abodied car. This could be the answer to the problem with header clearances road steering feel improved handling and quicker steering ratios.

Just thought the members would be interested. early abodies could use this fix instead of converting to manual steering for header clearance with v8 install.

Borgeson wed site has info and prices.

Yes read that one also Poison Dart, but that is with a mopar designed power steering box that comes standard. They claim the borgensen box is supperior and was used on 1999-2004 grand cherokees. (Delphi 670)

The APR issue of Mopar Action has an article describing the install of a borgeson box in an abodied car. This could be the answer to the problem with header clearances road steering feel improved handling and quicker steering ratios.

Just thought the members would be interested. early abodies could use this fix instead of converting to manual steering for header clearance with v8 install.

Borgeson wed site has info and prices.

I've been ready to drop the money for that box for awhile, but i just want some pictures of the size difference/clearance gained. I can't stand the stock PS boxes. They're too big and too heavy.

So i bought the magazine(just for the article) and it seems to show that the separately sold coupler is optional? Or was that modified stock coupler a special case?? And isnt that stock coupler a source of slop in the steering system?

Info says the bare box weighs 22 lbs..... Dont know how much the stock box weighs though, but its HEAVY

The stock box wheights in at 35# the Borg Box is 12# lighter. That comes in at 23#.

I read the article a couple of times before i hope i understand the install. The u-joint coupler is borg's methode of connection to steering column. Mopar action recommends modifing the pot coupler with a borg supplied spline insert. More on this in the next issue.

The pot couple must slide up and down on the steering shaft as designed to compensate for car or body flexes.

Therefore the borg box bolts up tho the k frame and stock pitman arm, they provide both spindle sizes for the pitman arms on the boxes they supply.

What you need to modify the stock steering to borg is the box plus the modified pot coupler and the spline insert. Borg also supplies a hose kit but you can use your exsisting hoses to the stock pump. Borg is suppose to be workin on adapters to couple your exsisting hoses.

I ask them if their borg box would work with the firm feel fast ratio pitman & dler arms.....they said yes.....has anyone tried that.....would it be to quick ? .....would it be ok ? .....thanks webby.

For me that's just too much for a street car steering gear and getting close to making an aftermarket suspension system (Like RMS) more attractive (or at least a rack conversion).

I have the Borgeson box on my pro touring 69 Valiant and it is amazing! Look for the tech article in next months CarCraft magazine. I will be installing the Hotchkis quick ratio pitman and idler in the coming weeks and will let you know how it feels. Right now the feel is great and actually feels really close to my 05 Dodge Magnum R/T.

I have one in my Dart with a 400/451 and 2" headers. If I knew my car could drive like this I would've paid more. Bergmann Auto Kraft sells couplers that require no mods and that is where mine came from.

Attachments

• 100_0733.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,401
-
Back