borgeson power steering

-

5.7bob

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new Borgeson power steering unit on an A-body with TTI headers and gen 3 hemi? Will the headers clear?

Talked to TTI and they said some one in Canada has used one but had to dimple two pipes. They are looking to change there headers so they will fit.

That is excellent news. I'd really like to have power steering, but don't want to have to build my own motor mounts and headers to make it happen, nor can I afford RMS's Alter-k-tion, so this is beginning to look like a viable alternative.

The box has a list price of $750.00, though I found it online at Performance Online for $650.00.

http://www.performanceonline.com/Borgeson-Universal/

Here's a discussion about the box at Moparts:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...Number=7180824&PHPSESSID=&fpart=2#Post7180824

Here's an install thread at Moparts, (NOT for a Gen III Hemi):

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7516054&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1&nt=3

There are a couple of issues with the install that make it a bit more than a bolt on, but nothing too extreme.

My only hope is that production variations in the frame and engine compartment of our A-Bodies don't make this a GO for some and a NO-GO for others.

I look forward to hearing some first hand stories regarding the installation of this box.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I sell these boxes, and also am working on the modified couplers. If the box fits with a gen III Hemi, 7.0 here I come!

I had just read a write up on these a few days ago. I was wondering if it would clear a 3g Hemi also. This is good to hear. I have a 70 Dart I want to swap a hemi into but want to retain p/s also, but not with the expense of the alterkation setup.

I would like to know what pump to use with this steering gear?

I'm at mopars at the strip today and walked by TTi's booth. Looked at there headers, and sure enough. They have a Borgeson power steering box setup with a Gen III hemi with their headers. Clearance looked great! Great news, except for the price tag!

Attachments

• image-3600547924.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 889
  • image-30467173.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 885
  • image-2341310350.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 859
  • image-1317011292.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 833
  • image-980077681.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 811
  • image-4155007016.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 818
  • image-2046389674.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 871
You guys are correct, TTI does have a header they are working on just for this purpose. This will allow two ultimate upgrades to live together peacefully, real exhaust and real steering. I'm aware that Performance Online advertises the boxes for 650, although that violates the min advertised pricing rules from Borgeson. They have been made aware of this, so I am not sure if they really are selling that cheap. I have couplers now and have been working on direct fit pressure and return fittings. We have the pressure fittings now and will be finishing up the return lines over the next few days. There will be an upcoming article about this in Mopar Action. Anyone interested, PM me.

awsome. nice to know its possible. im not giving up power steering with 245s on the front.

I don't think the borgeson is any different than anything else in terms of pressure requirements. I run this box with a federal pump. This box has been used with a huge variety of pumps through the years. It has a nice tight reactive feel unlike the factory boxes.

awsome. nice to know its possible. im not giving up power steering with 245s on the front.

I'm gonna guinea pig one soon on my low deck big block with 2" headers James. I will report with pics when that happens. Right now my 16:1 manual and 275s is a tad heavy lol.

it probably wont work with the 5.7 pump psi though right?

I just can't see paying $700! For power steering. Seems a bit steep.

I don't think the price is that bad considering a rebuilt box from Firm Feel is $359. If you don't have a core to turn in it's an another $175.

i tried to order a firm feel in 2011 it was something like a 6 week wait. i also tried the other place, i think its steerngear, they were the same wait. i didnt have time like that everything else was ready to go in and i was going to power tour kickoff. i just went with a parts store box just to have something fresh since you cant change it with the bb in.

I don't think the price is that bad considering a rebuilt box from Firm Feel is $359. If you don't have a core to turn in it's an another $175.

True, hard to dish it out when you already have a manual box and a power for under $100.... I haven't driven a manual steering in, idk. Years! But I heard with my car ( 70' duster ) that its only hard when stopped in a parking lot trying to park. We'll see...

700 is easier for me to justify when I have a rebuilt front end 1" torsion bars and 11 3/4" discs already done vs how many thousands for some kind of aftermarket r&p k frame.

It fits, and man does it work!

Attachments

• 100_0733.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 734
  • 002.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 653
  • 010.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 754
-
Back