-

slickchick

pedal cars only
Reaction score
:toothy7::burnout:

Attachments

• 1000891_515090515213303_1976348781_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 409
Yup. First RR I rode in was in early spring of '69 at Treasure Island, CA, friend of mine (his Dad, LOL) bought him a brand new orange peel 69 383 RR with air grabber.

At the time, the kid had a NICE 'bout a 62 Falcon Sprint which itself was a nice little car.

Ken is still alive and kickin in Byron, Georgia. He's a good friend of mine. He had a used car lot in middle Georgia from the late 70s until recently when he finally retired. Cool old fart.

I have the receipt for my 68 dart. It was $2,499 without options. After the custom order, and the 225 w/torqueflite it was $2,899. How is the Roadrunner cheaper? Were 4 doors more expensive?

I was a freshman in high school in 1971, so this car was already 2 years old. I never even saw a RR until 1973 when one of my classmates had one - he was an outsider. I didn't know what they could do until I bought a more door Belvedere (69) the next year and then really started looking at the two door Mopars. I still never saw a burn out then. I wish I had a time machine to go back and buy all these great cars!!!!!!!!!!! They say hindsight is 20/20!

This doesn't make me feel old. Getting out of bed does! LOL. My friend's brother bought a RR new in 69. He had over 20 to choose from. My friend still has it. Still has the original paint and interior. Makes me sick looking at it. I'm trying to get him to will it to me but no luck yet.

I have the receipt for my 68 dart. It was $2,499 without options. After the custom order, and the 225 w/torqueflite it was $2,899. How is the Roadrunner cheaper? Were 4 doors more expensive?

There were freight zones all across the country back then as well as all kinds of dealer incentives allowing sale prices. Dealers were complaining about unfair competition because if you were across the freight zone a dealer in a closer freight zone 10 miles across the state line could sell the same car cheaper. Sometime in the early 80s Ford did away with the freight zones according to my friend that I used to buy new Fords from. I am sure all the manufactures did the same.

I was 13 when they came out, now THAT makes me feel old. :D

I bought a used one in 1978 for $1,200 with the 383 Magnum and 727
Car was almost factory perfect when I bought it.

Roadrunners were a real big deal. Who knows, maybe they were sort of a "loss leader" for Mopar, meant to drag kids away from Ferds, Goats 'n Chivvys. It's why RRs have no trim---they were "stripped" to the bones.

I was 4 yrs. old in 69 I almost wish I was older so I could have experienced this amazing time in automobile history.

You could get 4 gallons of gas for a buck at the time, so for five bucks you could fill your car.

In 69 I was driving a Porsche 718 RSK Spyder which I converted to the street, it was an aluminum bodied, steel spaceframe mid engine 4 cylinder - 8 spark plugs and a 5 speed. Car weighed 1200 lbs. I got a speeding ticket going to Palm Springs from L.A. cop said I must have been going over 150 and I'll never forget the look on his face when he said he was sitting in the diner when all the glass dishes rattled...

I bet that was a hoot to drive. Was it sorta like this?

Attachments

• porsche-718-rsk-gp-spyder-1962-gris_1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 293
I was 4 yrs. old in 69 I almost wish I was older so I could have experienced this amazing time in automobile history.

Well ya still can experience it, LOL, it just costs a little more

It just might be, tho, that "adusted for inflation," it really doesn't cost more

In 69 I was driving a Porsche 718 RSK Spyder which I converted to the street, it was an aluminum bodied, steel spaceframe mid engine 4 cylinder - 8 spark plugs and a 5 speed. Car weighed 1200 lbs. I got a speeding ticket going to Palm Springs from L.A. cop said I must have been going over 150 and I'll never forget the look on his face when he said he was sitting in the diner when all the glass dishes rattled...

The cop was probably a Califonia Highway Patrolman with the 1969 Dodge Polara Police Interceptor 440.

Yes Rob similar, yet mine had only one door, the driver's door which tilted out and in front where the fuel tank was and the rear where engine and transaxle were, both tilted up like an ol' drag car. That's an RSK spyder but not an original 718. The cop would have never caught me had I not slowed down as I could feel it lifting.. The car had a complete body pan and wasn't built for straight line driving, mostly road racing and hill climbing. To make matter worse as of today, one was sold at auction for something like 3.5 mil just this year. I am not clairvoyant and knowing this doesn't really bother me, the asshole I am :banghead: :violent1:

The cop was probably a Califonia Highway Patrolman with the 1969 Dodge Polara Police Interceptor 440.

No he wasn't because I had his motor in my Roadrunner. :D
A friend of mine's Dad owned the only wrecking/impound lot in town and one weekend we pulled a motor from one of the dammaged Polara Hiway Patrol cars. (440 Interceptor)

-
Back