Brake bolt pattern question

-

soaddrummer

Reaction score
I currently have big bolt patter on the front of my 73 scamp disk brake set up. Can I buy new disks that have the small bolt pattern on them?

None that will bolt up to your existing parts. I think even the center hub would be too large to put the sbp wheels on so redrilling your rotors probably won't work either.

You can , but it will nor fit your setup . So no don't buy them . I would think it's easier to find the brake discs for the bbp

don't think he wants to , just wants to know if the actual sbp disc will fit his car with a minor mod or no mod at all .

The bearing sizes are way different between the early disc brake spindles and the later ones, that said you MAY be able to find a conversion bearing but idk for sure

you wanting the kelsey hayes 4-piston calipers too? honestly the single piston calipers are a better setup anyway, parts and expense wise. anyone priced a reman set of KH calipers lately? OOOFDAH!!!! plus finding rotors is nearly impossible too.....

you wanting the kelsey hayes 4-piston calipers too? honestly the single piston calipers are a better setup anyway, parts and expense wise.

anyone priced a reman set of KH calipers lately?

OOOFDAH!!!! plus finding rotors is nearly impossible too.....

WRONG on all counts --- maybe 5 years ago your comments were accurate but that all changed in the last 5 years. Rotors, pads and calipers with exchange are readily available and reasonably priced. Check Rock Auto and / or Centric for specifics. For the KH calipers 1st generation ('64.5-'66) Mustang parts work well for those that are inclined to do their own bench rebuilds (pistons, seals,etc.).

BTW the 4 piston KH calipers provide more evenly applied, excellent stopping power - compared to the single piston cheaper calipers that came available in 1973. If single piston calipers are superior why do modern high performance cars like the Challenger SRT and the Viper use Brembo multi piston calipers?

1964.5 - 1972 Abodies offered the KH 4 piston caliper setup from the factory either as std. equipment on the 1970 340 cars(Duster 340 and Dart Swinger 340) or optional for other years.

Use the following thread for factory replacement equivalent SBP KH parts # reference:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=266225

Parts availability and pricing (taken directly from Rock Auto main page):
EX: KH 4 piston caliper for 1970 Duster 340 --> CENTRIC Part # 14163008 Reman; Premium Semi-Loaded Caliper
Front Left; Front Disc brakes
Part Image Core
$45.79 $75.00 $120.79 (price without core) -- -send in old caliper = final price $45.79

Rotor:

Factory replacement - Premium
WAGNER Part # BD60257 Bolt Holes = 5
Front $41.79

High Performance heavy duty
CENTRIC Part # 12763005L StopTech Sport Drilled/Slotted Disc
Front Left; Front Disc brakes $59.79

you wanting the kelsey hayes 4-piston calipers too? honestly the single piston calipers are a better setup anyway, parts and expense wise. anyone priced a reman set of KH calipers lately? OOOFDAH!!!! plus finding rotors is nearly impossible too.....

I have owned plenty of both and without a doubt I prefer the stopping capability of the Kelsey Hayes disc brakes. Even my 6500 series rollback uses multiple piston calipers on all four wheels. The only drawback to the A-body Kelsey Hayes brake system is the small bolt pattern wheels but that can be solved by having a big bolt Mustang rotor re-machined to fit it. The key to Kelsey Hayes four piston calipers is to use Dot 5 synthetic brake fluid.

ive been educated. many thanks! ever have problems sticking pistons though? ive head that was an issue with multi-piston calipers.

ive been educated. many thanks! ever have problems sticking pistons though? ive head that was an issue with multi-piston calipers.

My apology to you if I came off a bit strong defending the KH 4 piston setup.

You are correct that the pistons can hang if if these cars sit outside for long periods, primarily due to pitting in the piston bores. These are so simple to rebuild and parts are not expensive.
As other members pointed out - the key is using the DOT 5 synthetic and using the car.

Also some vendors offer the stainless steel sleeving service which can be pricey but comes with a lifetime no rust guarantee.

These brakes work great as long as the cars are used.

The 73-76 setup also has some real advantages like low cost and increase in the bolt circle to 4.5" which allows for MANY more wheel choices.

The area I wish we could all get an alternative parts source for is the 10 x 1.75 " rear drums for the factory SBP 8.75" rear. Those drums are almost impossible if not impossible to locate new, and other alternatives cost $$$!

Have a great day!

The rear i am building is SBP and the car had originaly BBP so the front wheels will need to be BBP and back are SBP ... i thought may changing rotors to SBP on the front would work but i guess not...getting BBP rims is easier

The rear i am building is SBP and the car had originaly BBP so the front wheels will need to be BBP and back are SBP ... i thought may changing rotors to SBP on the front would work but i guess not...getting BBP rims is easier

For the ease of getting parts in the future you would be smarter to set up your 8.75 for big bolt now. The sbp 10" rear brake drums are obsolete, nearly impossible to find new now and it is just going to get worse as the supply of good used ones dwindle.

-
Back