Brake booster removal question

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi all

I plan to send my brake booster to a professional for a rebuild job.
May I leave the brake booster bracket onto the firewall?
In other words, does the guy who is going to rebuild the booster need the bracket or not?

I think that it will be easier to remove the brake booster if I leave the bracket on the car.

Thanks
François

If you want them to refinish the bracket to factory yes. They do need the spacer plate between the booster and master cylinder if it has one. Booster Dewey (Steve) is the best.

I don't see any spacer plate between the booster and the MC.
I think my booster is a Midland-Ross.
Brake booster.jpg

I am in France and of course, I will use the service of a local brake parts rebuilder. :)

It looks to be there to me.....

Hi Cudamark
I suppose that you speak about the flange between the MC and the booster. I don't know if it's a spacer or if it's part of the booster body.
Anyway, it's not a problem. If it's a spacer, I will leave it on the booster.
My main concern is about the rear bracket.
If this bracket isn't needed for the rebuild job, I think I'm going to leave it onto the firewall.
What do you think?

Pretty cool Demon!! Originally ordered & delivered in France, likely at a Simca dealership? Where is Southern France? Back in 71 we spent two weeks in Montpelier with a broken car (at a Simca dealership) waiting on parts...

Your booster & the parts around it look pretty clean, I think I'd leave the brackets where the are & just have the booster rebuilt..

Hi Cudamark
I suppose that you speak about the flange between the MC and the booster. I don't know if it's a spacer or if it's part of the booster body.
Anyway, it's not a problem. If it's a spacer, I will leave it on the booster.
My main concern is about the rear bracket.
If this bracket isn't needed for the rebuild job, I think I'm going to leave it onto the firewall.
What do you think?
The rebuilder won't need the brackets to work on the booster. It's just a matter of what finish you want on the brackets. IIRC, they originally had a cadmium type plating on them. If the booster is going to get that finish, it might be cheaper and more convenient to have the rebuilder do the brackets too, if you're looking to restore those parts back to original.

Pretty cool Demon!! Originally ordered & delivered in France, likely at a Simca dealership? Where is Southern France? Back in 71 we spent two weeks in Montpelier with a broken car (at a Simca dealership) waiting on parts...
Hello, and thanks.
This Demon has been ordered and delivered brand new in Belgium in May, 1971 and after the original owner death, she has been imported in France in 2015 by a guy who sold it to me in 2020. I'm the third owner.
So, this Demon has never seen a Simca dealer. But you're right, in the beginning of 70's, Chrysler products were sold in France by Simca (« Société Industrielle de Mécanique et Carrosserie Automobile »).
A Simca-Chrysler dealer in Paris circa 1969/1970 :
Chrysler France Paris Est.JPG

Demons have never been imported in France, and I think mine is the only one in all the country.
I found the trace of another '71 Demon (same B2 color than mine), but she has been exported from France to Netherlands several years ago.

I live in Narbonne, 100km west of Montpellier and also located on the mediterranean sea shore.

François

Last edited:
The rebuilder won't need the brackets to work on the booster. It's just a matter of what finish you want on the brackets. IIRC, they originally had a cadmium type plating on them. If the booster is going to get that finish, it might be cheaper and more convenient to have the rebuilder do the brackets too, if you're looking to restore those parts back to original.

Thanks a lot.
I don't want to have the bracket restored. It's in a good original shape.
I would like to have my booster rebuilt, not for the show, but because since a couple of days, I have no brake anymore on my Demon.
It happened suddenly. Before that, the braking was very correct. Now, the brake pedal is excessively hard and inefficient.
As the breakdown happened very suddenly, I think it's the booster that gave up

-
Back