Brake Lights.

-

firekrotch26

1st time dart owner
Reaction score
this 72 dart had a bad directional signal switch so i replaced it with a another used one, i got all signals working but no brake lights. since that i have checked and/or replaced the fuse,brake light lamps, stoplight switch, hazard flasher, ground wires in the trunk. i found some corrosion/oxidation inside of the taillight wiring harness plug but thats about it , im not sure where else to look?

down on the brake pedal were light switch is one wire should have power all the time . push the brake pedal an the other one should light your test light . if it dont bad switch (brake) i believe they get there power up in the turn signal switch . id have to dig up my wiring diagram to make sure how this helps. ck the blubs also

Welcome!

Yep .... pull the steering wheel and make sure everything is clean and in working order on the turn signal switch.

Switch off.
Brake lamp circuit and horn circuits are still hot.
Pull the horn fuse for now.
Power comming in the brake light switch and leaves the brake light switch on an off white/beige wire. If that proves when pedal is pressed , stick a hair pin in the connecter so you dont have to hold the pedal down for further testing. Beige wire goes into the signal switch comnnecter at bottom of column. When that switch is in the neutral/centered position you should find same power comming down the column again on a green and a yellow wires, through same connecter and going on toward rear fixtures.

is it possible for this to be a problem in the directional signal switch? i mean ive got all turn signals working, from my tests with my circuit light the power goes up the column but never comes back downs it would have to be the turn signal switch right? What i dont get is how the hell could all of the light work just fine except for the brake light?!? Makes no sense to me, im kinda think about ordering a new turn signal switch but thats pretty expensive when its not really guaranteed to fix my problem.

did you look for a broken wire going down the drivers side of the car (inside) under mat. i had the same problem . mine was the bulbs in the tail lights i thought they were good but a friend proved me wrong .i told him look i have turn ,running but no brake bought the new switch everything 2$worth of bulbs fix the problem. i was fixen to put switch in . do your self a fav buy a couple 1157 's first . the ones i had in there look like new ( wrong) food for thought

is it possible for this to be a problem in the directional signal switch? i mean ive got all turn signals working, from my tests with my circuit light the power goes up the column but never comes back downs it would have to be the turn signal switch right? What i dont get is how the hell could all of the light work just fine except for the brake light?!? Makes no sense to me, im kinda think about ordering a new turn signal switch but thats pretty expensive when its not really guaranteed to fix my problem.

I'm not a wiring expert by no means but I did rewire my entire cuda wiring including every single wire and everything works. lol

I had a 68 Charger in which the left brake light would not come on. I tested everything and was left scratching my head. I noticed that the wires going into the steering column and pulled the steering wheel. Took the directional signal switch out and found that one of the prongs was not making proper contact because it was dirty and bent. I sanded the prongs bent the prong a little bit and fixed the brake light. I hate for you to go to all that trouble and it won't fix your problem but that's what fixed mine.

Yup We're getting close. If you have a jumper in the brake light switch so you don't need to hols the pedal down . You can shove a shirt pin through biege, yellow and green then walk back a look for brake lights on. This rules out everything except the signal switch. Sorry I can't help with the cost of them.

Ok gentlemen thanks very much for all the help! i will attempt to clean my turn signal switch. im not really sure how to do so but that wont stop im on a mission dammit

is there anyway to "dismantle" the directional switch to really clean it? really id just need clean the hazard switch but how would get in there to clean it? i forgot to mention that the hazards in the back dont work either, sooo yea

Its not dirty , its worn out.
Half a toolbox of stuff is needed to get the thin out of the column.
You have 2 options,
A; replace the switch
B; butcher those wires at the connecter to have brake lights but no turn signals or flashers.

well that blows... but its to be expected. what if i laid new wires from the stop light switch to each brake lamp {bypass the directional hazard switch}, so then i would have separate wires for the turn signals and brake lights but they would both be connected to the light socket? i feel like if done properly then this might work but i also know that its very likely to compromise the turn signals and or taillights. Any thoughts or advice on this "idea"? one more thing if i were to buy a brand new directional switch then where might i find the best price?

well that blows... but its to be expected. what if i laid new wires from the stop light switch to each brake lamp {bypass the directional hazard switch}, so then i would have separate wires for the turn signals and brake lights but they would both be connected to the light socket? i feel like if done properly then this might work but i also know that its very likely to compromise the turn signals and or taillights. Any thoughts or advice on this "idea"? one more thing if i were to buy a brand new directional switch then where might i find the best price?

You would lose rear turn signals when the brakes are on if you did it that way. Shouldn't effect tail lights. Best bet is to install the new turn signal switch and be done with it.

BTW they are still available from the dealer.

You could lay new wires and change from 2 1157 bulb socket to 4 1156 bulb sockets like a import / whatever.
The way you thought to try wont work. Brake lamp power would feed back through the signal switch, light both turn indicaters?, give you some front brake lights ?, blow fuses ?,
D: all the above ?

Ok... ok, you guys are right "do it right" i know i know, it sucks but ohh well.
Alright enough bitching on my part, im sorry. any ways yes i called a dealership before i bought the used directional signal switch and received quote for $102 bucks not bad really, only $27 more than i paid for the used switch! anyhow i want to sincerely thank redfish, brianT, and mullinx95 for all of the advice and general badass car knowlege! I will def have more questions about this car its a real peice of crap rust bucket junker, just the way i like em. yeah my other car is a 69 ford maverick, im tryin to drop and 89 5.0 with a t-5 tranny but its not workin too well with my limited funds?!? why are classics so expensive?!? I LOVE MY RUSTED OUT DART!!!

You're welcome! Good luck with your wiring. They can be a real bear to track down problems.

I put a new turn signal switch on my dart (from the dealer) when I first got it. After I was done, I didn't have a left signal. After about 2 weeks of trouble shooting, someone suggested maybe I got a bad switch. Sure enough, tore it all back apart and works like new now!

You're welcome! Good luck with your wiring. They can be a real bear to track down problems.

I put a new turn signal switch on my dart (from the dealer) when I first got it. After I was done, I didn't have a left signal. After about 2 weeks of trouble shooting, someone suggested maybe I got a bad switch. Sure enough, tore it all back apart and works like new now!

Man that sucked! lol

That switch to me is the brain of the whole system.

so i put a new switch in that i got off ebay in and all is good now, i got it for 58 bucks! thanks for tha help!

dont forget that you have a brake light cancel in your switch that allows the L brake light to work while the R t/s is flashing and vice versa.

-
Back