brass jet stuck in carb, a small success story

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
I bought a 4brl carb and intake from fellow members for an upgrade I've been planning. When I took the carb apart the brass jet's notch for the screwdriver broke and the jet got stuck. DusterDude72 gave me good advice on how to remove this thing but I have not had access to the tools necessary until recently. the pics show that jet port with the old jet finally gone and another jet screwed in, along with the remains of the old jet.

So heres how this was done per DD72's advice
I stuck it on a drill press and drilled progressively bigger holes in the brass jet, doing so until basically only the threads of the jet remained. DD72 advised to at this point take a screwdriver just smaller then the thread diameter and hammer it down into the remainder of the jet and it should fall apart. Well this didnt work so i just retapped it and got most the brass threads out. Then I stuck a small screw driver in there and forced the remaining piece out. saved my $50 investment :icescrea: and defeated that evil jet :evil2:

Attachments

• IMG_2753.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,617
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,613
  • IMG_2752.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,662
yup, the inside of your carb looks just like the inside of the one I had rebuilt that I had all the troubles on.

glad you got it figured out.

yup, all I did was progressively drilled mine out all the way through until I had maybe a couple thousands of material left of the jet, then I took my flat head screw driver,stuck it inside the drilled out hole....gave it a tiny tap and it split the rest of the jet into peaces and I was able to pick it out of the threads.

I tried other methods such as extractors and what not but it was lodged in so tight and the brass was so soft that it just kept chewing the material away.

the carb I rebuilt was off of a mud truck and when I pulled it apart I poured out (literally) a half of a cup of sand that had been inside the carb sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.

but the carb was free so it was worth the investment of time and a rebuild kit.

glad you got yours fixed, here are pics of the one I did....one right after the new jets and when it was still grimy looking and a couple more after I did a full rebuild and polish job on it.

Attachments

• DSCI1073.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,556
  • DSCI1070.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,551
  • DSCI1056 (2).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,546
  • DSCI1059 (2).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,530
how the heck did you polish that so nicely???

I dremelled mine a good bit, but couldnt get it to look nearly as nice.
1. its impossible to get the dremel in all those nooks
2. I didnt try any polish compound

I might post a pic or two later, dont have them where I'm at now.

ps. i didnt see your post until now...

don't let it fool you.....I had ALOT of time into polishing that thing......a good 4 hours atleast.

all I did was go to my local walmart and pick up a polishing kit (like $12.00) for the dremmel tool.

it had assorted shapes of rubber/silicone bits that were coated in a light sand.

some were saped like cones,some like eggs,some like balls.....and they were flexible so as the dremmel was running the bits would contour to the cavity that I was using them in.

the kit also came with hard fiber ball and it also came with a little tub of jewlers polishing compund, I would dib the fiber ball into the compound and polish everything.

then I would take carb cleaner and clean off the compound .

Then I would take the soft cloth polishing bit and dip it into mothers aluminum polish and polish everything with that.

then I would carb clean it all off again.

then I would take a soft rag and put mothers aluminum polish on it and hand rub polish the hole thing again and then wipe it clean.

I would repeat steps as needed.

took alot of time but the end result was a brand new durashine looking edelbrock lol.

then I also took red model paint and repainted the springs and i took bronze model paint and repainted the linkage and screw heads and everything.

one problem I did run into though, while soaking the carb in paint thinner to clean it .....the edelbrock logo wore off.....BUT I had a fix for that too lol. I just happened to have an edelbrock magazine laying around (you can order them free from edelbrocks website) and they come with various sticker sizes inside the catalog.....so I took the smallest sticker and trimmed it to size and used it to replace the logo that wore off.

good god your through!

i got my dremel with all the goodies and an extra "all purpose accessory kit" it says it has polishing/cleaning bits. The sanding heads that attach to the "EZ lock" wheel are a fav of mine but they wear out quick and are expensive, I'm thinking of a way to make my own out of a scrub pad. It also came with a bunch of felt like pad but those dont attach well or form well into corners like your describing. I'll look for those rubber bits.

see i got this 710 kit [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-710-02-160-Piece-Accessory/dp/B002L3RUWA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1302538859&sr=8-5"]Amazon.com: Dremel 710-02 160 Piece Accessory Kit: Home Improvement[/ame]

looks like i might wana get this 684 kit
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LEXV/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Dremel 684-01 20-Piece Clean & Polish Rotary Tool Accessory Kit With Case: Home Improvement[/ame]

these jewelry polishing wheels work nice too, I was using one on my bike yesterday.
did you use these much?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Polishing-Buffing-Wheels-Mandrel/dp/B000OVPGYA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1302538859&sr=8-8"]Amazon.com: 12 Jewelry Polishing Buffing Wheels Mandrel fits Dremel: Arts, Crafts & Sewing[/ame]

i do have some mothers mag that I havent tried on anything yet so thanks for that tip...

so heres some pics, you can see its not very even in its polish/sanding work.

I also should probably soak some of those screws in some evaporust.
and that 1403 1405 numbering, its a 1403 carb? has the electric choke so its not a 1405, could it be a 1406?

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,478
  • IMG_2775.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,461
-
Back