Break In Disaster????????

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
Sooooooo, ive had quite the time getting getting the engine and transmission into my 63 signet due to the normal mods needed to make a 273 fit. After a week of setbacks i finally get the engine in and everything hooked up, start it but no spark, finally figured i had crossed 2 wires and i try again and it starts right up. It was primed a few days prior so i wasnt to worried about it not starting up instantly. It was going fine at 2400 but my helper failed to see that it was running hot, not all the way to H but about 1/8 over the C. It was running for about 13 minutes and i decided to shut it off out of fear, so my helper decided it would be a great idea to try to take the radiator cap off thus exploding everything in the system all of this side, i was irate to say the least.

Now, my question is that the car has been sitting for 24hrs and i went back to throw the timing gun on it and everything looked good, so i took it around the block and when i got back it was leaking a good amount of oil from the back of the drivers side head. Did i warp that head during breakin or is it possible theres another outcome i am not seeing? I found an old set of victor gaskets that i used and had them torqued and untorqued 4 or 5 times while setting everything up. Is it possible that that could be the cause because theyre old gaskets??? I was considering going with new felpro but opted out.

Thanks,
Jake

Uh...........head gaskets that does not sound good............

Pull all plugs, look for water / coolant in the cylinders. Run a compression / leak down test. The oil leakage could be a few things

valve covers / cover gaskets, bad oil sender, bad seal at rear of intake

double check your valve cover gaskets..
.check the oil pressure port in the back next to the distributor...
also..look at the back of the intake manifold to make sure it is not blowing oil out the back of it..

Uh...........head gaskets that does not sound good............

Pull all plugs, look for water / coolant in the cylinders. Run a compression / leak down test. The oil leakage could be a few things

valve covers / cover gaskets, bad oil sender, bad seal at rear of intake

I thought that maybe it was the old victor set and i am hoping its just the valve cover. Ill check this tomorrow. Thanks!

double check your valve cover gaskets..
.check the oil pressure port in the back next to the distributor...
also..look at the back of the intake manifold to make sure it is not blowing oil out the back of it..

Ok, i will check it out. It looks to be from the corner because its dripping straight on to the starter.

Thanks.

tell a woman that then duck did you ever have a kidney stone probley the closest thing a man can compare child birth to but x 100 for the child birth making babies is awsome right if it were up to men i dont think there would be human reproduction on earth LOL
3 kidney stones all taken care of with meds in 2 hours 1 took 5 hours i just wanted to get shot in the head fast

"1/8 inch above the C" is not anywhere near running hot. That's what the "H" is for :)

"1/8 inch above the C" is not anywhere near running hot. That's what the "H" is for :)

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe install a more modern temp gauge?
Use a "point n shoot" thermometer to verify temp.
Torqing and retorqing head gaskets isnt good
Hope its vc gaslets. Make sure mount holes and rails on vc are nice n flat.

Sounds like you need to put boxing gloves on your helper so he can't undo things he shouldn't. :)

"Helpers" are more of a distraction than anything. I'm more focused when working alone. Im betting its a valve cover gasket

I pulled the valve cover and it sure looks like it has a lot of oilat the back corner. I turned it on and it was just pouring from the 4th bolt that holds the rocker arms on, it really doesn't look right to me. It is tightened to specs and the rockers are banana grooves with the drivers side notch down to the front of the engine and passenger side notch down to the back. Is it normal for that be be flooding oil from there? I understand that is how they oil but this seems excessive!!

Sounds like you need to put boxing gloves on your helper so he can't undo things he shouldn't. :)

Ain't that the truth! He had a bit too much to drink and apparently doesn't make the best decisions for his life.

First off I see no disaster here at all????????
A bad seal at worst . It's supposed to get a little extra hot (not over heat) during break in, thats very normal.
Fix leaks , continue break in and enjoy.

First off I see no disaster here at all????????
A bad seal at worst . It's supposed to get a little extra hot (not over heat) during break in, thats very normal.
Fix leaks , continue break in and enjoy.

What do you make of the oil spewing from the rocket arm?? That seams the culprit right now but I am not seeing what could have happened???

I am having the same problem but on the passenger side. I have found the valve cover to be the problem so far. Leaking out of the lower back corner. I'm going to try new gaskets when the weather cooperates later this week.

I am having the same problem but on the passenger side. I have found the valve cover to be the problem so far. Leaking out of the lower back corner. I'm going to try new gaskets when the weather cooperates later this week.

Is your a significant amount of oil? I bought those mopar rubber covered steel gaskets and I wasn't sure if you need sealer with them or not but I didn't do that as of yet.

Jake

What engine and what valve covers?

The reason I ask is because smallblock Mopar head valve cover rails are not flat from front to rear.
They are arched about 1/8 or so in the center and cause the ends to leak.

What engine and what valve covers?

The reason I ask is because smallblock Mopar head valve cover rails are not flat from front to rear.
They are arched about 1/8 or so in the center and cause the ends to leak.

The engine is a 273 commando and the valve covers are M/T cast covers. It is for sure leaking from there but i believe it is due to the massive amounts of oil spewing out of the 4th bolt hole on the rocker arm. The slant i had before oil the same way i belive and didnt have that issue. I have a oil gauge that ill be hooking up so ill get a better reading of the pressure and maybe its too much pressure???

Jake

Have you got a breather and pcv installed?

Yes sir, i have both but was having an issue with trying to find grommets for the M/T valve covers. I was able to put a couple of them together to make it work but in not entirely comfortable with how the pcv is currently.

Jake

oil should not be spewing from any of the rocker hold down bolts. if it is from the 4th bolt from the front on the driver side, that is strange, as the oil on the driver side comes into the shaft around the 2nd bolt from the front. I would remove shaft and inspect for-burrs, gouges, blockage, machining errors. I enlarge the oil holes into the shafts a little (4th from front on pass. side) and make sure the hold downs fit nice, and use grade 8 sae washers on the bolts. rubber gaskets do not need sealer

oil should not be spewing from any of the rocker hold down bolts. if it is from the 4th bolt from the front on the driver side, that is strange, as the oil on the driver side comes into the shaft around the 2nd bolt from the front. I would remove shaft and inspect for-burrs, gouges, blockage, machining errors. I enlarge the oil holes into the shafts a little (4th from front on pass. side) and make sure the hold downs fit nice, and use grade 8 sae washers on the bolts. rubber gaskets do not need sealer

Its coming from the 4th bolt from the front or 2nd from the rear but it is odd, it looks as if all the other bolts did their job but that one leaves a tiny gap that i guess is enough for it to spew out. Ill pull it and have a look.

Thanks!!

Jake

-
Back