break in

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
hey guys, so i all of my parts i needed to finally get my car started, so the situation is i will be able to start the car but its not quite driveable yet. now my buddy said being as cold as it is i shouldnt start it to break in the cam until its driveable so that i can get the rings seated to. is it ok if i fire it up to break in the cam then let it sit until i can drive it? or go for it? thanks

IMO- do what you want to do! Personally, I'd break the cam in. It's not like your going to hurt anything. My car was driving and I broke the cam in and let it cool off. The next day I drove it around and then changed the oil. I would resist starting it up for everyone who cames over to see it until you have time to drive it around a bit. Again, you paid for it..

Yea, I mean alot of people break in their motors on run stands then its a good while until they get it running and driving in their cars lol....I just can't resist getting it started and broke in, its a big reward for all the blood sweat and beers to get it to that point lol

I would go ahead and break in the cam. Make sure it cranks before it wipes all of the cam lube off if it is not a roller cam..

Yea, I mean alot of people break in their motors on run stands then its a good while until they get it running and driving in their cars lol....I just can't resist getting it started and broke in, its a big reward for all the blood sweat and beers to get it to that point lol
This is also something I was thinking - kinda keeping yourself enthusiastic about the build and not hurt anything....

You'll be fine just use the most precautions you can use a good break in oil and of course prime the motor and try and get it started right away. Again all the usual things people tell ya. It's nerve racking, but rewarding.

Sure is, motor is loaded with 7 qts of brad penn 30w break-in oil, I set the motor to about 12* btdc to install distributor. Hopefully it fires right up, well see soon

Here's after the break in, have some minor things to fix, but it runs.

[ame]https://youtu.be/LseOzXMxxcc[/ame]

I know people who have stopped mid cam to eat dinner. You'll be ok. We got my motor in about 2 or 3 am and that bastard got broke right in and driven immediately, open header. I live
on a golf course lol. It rocked. This 360 is my first from-the-crank-up solo build. There was a snowballs chance in hell it wasn't getting fired, rip it son.

-
Back