Budget 318 build

-
For pump gas what compression is desired? And with stock 318 would a bump in compression help without adding more flow? Just curious

CR helps torque down low, as does smaller ports. Wondering if that is what I need to make a small V8 feel a bit bigger.

Happy fathers Day dartfreak
I'd rather use a regrind than that 50 year old 204-214 design, or a stock cam
At least you do not see Edelbrocks price for it
check other mfg like Elgin, Wolverine, Speed Pro
WE just specked a 254-262 Lunati Voodoo but is it worth the extra bucks? You might get lucky with Racer Brown but
Comp, Crane, Erson, Isky have nothing any better
good news is that quality is good, resonably foolproof installation just use moly paste (not liquid) and some break in oil (not DIY additive) and prime oil system with a hex shaft and drill
I see where this is discussed on page 2
Thank you the cam is new in the box i bought it a while back and an just getting around to starting my project. I want a cam that would be streetable good on gas reliable and something that i wouldn't have to start changing other parts like upping my compression and valves and heads etc that why i went with a mild cam from what i read a stock 318 with a 340 hp cam really wakes up with headers and a four barrel this is the closest i could find to a stock cam without changing everything i plan on running stock spring for now i will change them later on i want to run a weaker spring untill the cam is broke in im not worried about floating valves cause im not gonna run rhe crap out of it lol it will be lucky if it ever sees 3500 from what iv read they this cam is ok with stock springs up too 5 grand i will never ever turn mine that high I am considering going ahead and rebuilding the bottom end and getting new pistons to boost my compression some thanks for all the avice keep em coming

I've never put 360 heads on a 318 and lost performance. I'll take flow over compression any day. I usually cut the 360 heads about .040 and bolt them on.... (and NO, I've never cut the intake!... LOL).

If all a person is concerned about is "off idle snap", then stick to the 318 2bbl cam and stock 318 heads. But when you can't pass a stock 2001 Buick LeSabre 3.8 at 55 mph, then we can all start another thread :)

If you still need the spec for the Melling spring, it is
VS-1120 : 1.9400 free length 1.4940 outside dimension 1.0800 inside dimension .207 wire size 91-101 @1.65 closed position pressure and length (aka- installed height) 231-245 @1.22 open position pressure and length, 5.625 RH number of coils, 1.1000 solid height.

I've never put 360 heads on a 318 and lost performance. I'll take flow over compression any day. I usually cut the 360 heads about .040 and bolt them on.... (and NO, I've never cut the intake!... LOL).

If all a person is concerned about is "off idle snap", then stick to the 318 2bbl cam and 318 heads. But when you can't pass a stock 2001 Buick LeSabre 3.8 at 55 mph, then we can all start another thread :)
Lol i didnt mill mine when i put stock 360 heads on a stock 318 it was weak as pond water i couldnt pull a hill lol maybe shaving them down .40 would help idk how much does a machine shop charged to mill 40 tho off i could always try both i already have the heads wouldnt be that hard to swap them back out

If you still need the spec for the Melling spring, it is
VS-1120 : 1.9400 free length 1.4940 outside dimension 1.0800 inside dimension .207 wire size 91-101 @1.65 closed position pressure and length (aka- installed height) 231-245 @1.22 open position pressure and length, 5.625 RH number of coils, 1.1000 solid height.
Thank you

Lol i didnt mill mine when i put stock 360 heads on a stock 318 it was weak as pond water i couldnt pull a hill lol maybe shaving them down .40 would help idk how much does a machine shop charged to mill 40 tho off i could always try both i already have the heads wouldnt be that hard to swap them back out
Just so you know, factory 318 4bbls cam with 360 heads.....

Im not one to argue but I dont think that's right. Im not 100 sure but that dont sound right

Like I said i may be wrong all the casting numbers for 318 heads all years all combinations are different from 360s all 318 heads have 178 valve all 360s had 188 340hps had 202

Like I said i may be wrong all the casting numbers for 318 heads all years all combinations are different from 360s all 318 heads have 178 valve all 360s had 188 340hps had 202

I've drove 'em, and I know people that race these in stock eliminator, but here is a piece of an article.

1978, MOPAR first sold the 'LA' version of the 318-4Bbl. They simply bolted on a 360 intake/thermo-quad. Shortly after, a (so-called) H.P. version was 'unleashed' on the motoring public. This version used the (current) 360 heads with the 1.88/1.60 valves. In fact, this H.P. 318 was available through 1984.

Sorry, all I see when you break it down to the nitty gritty is head work and/or swap.

On the as cheap as possible I’d just do the 360 heads and cam according. To further push performance, converter and gear. While not exactly cheap, it is the next logical and best step unless you get a Super Charger. The super charger store or a torquestorm. Add appropriate ignition parts and let it rip! 5-7 pounds of boost does wonders. Bang for the buck is inexpensive in the big picture.

Ok ok ok, yea, the price of parts is skyrocketing!
So is your performance!

Bottom line. You can not exceed the speed of your wallet thickness. Do the best with what ya got until another day.

I've drove 'em, and I know people that race these in stock eliminator, but here is a piece of an article.

1978, MOPAR first sold the 'LA' version of the 318-4Bbl. They simply bolted on a 360 intake/thermo-quad. Shortly after, a (so-called) H.P. version was 'unleashed' on the motoring public. This version used the (current) 360 heads with the 1.88/1.60 valves. In fact, this H.P. 318 was available through 1984.
That is very interesing where these sold in new cars or was it an aftermarket dealer upgrade type thing? I have never heard or seen that before sorry for being skeptical its nothing personal I am a little hesitate to believe everything i read in the internet with out facts or proof if you know what I mean! Lol thanks for that info tho

Was that an allpar article? I found it and read it that is some good info thanks!! So it said evey .005 milled off the head is 1cc so i could mill .50 and take of 10cc with a 73cc head that would put me back to where i am now with stock 318 heads could i run that setup with factory rockers or would i have to switch to adjustable like it says in the article? Cause lets face it thats more $$$$ lol does anyone know how much the average head milling costs?

For pump gas what compression is desired? And with stock 318 would a bump in compression help without adding more flow? Just curious
Iron heads and you are not a super tuner 9:1 compression will help without more flow but just multi angle valve job and blending the new deeper valve job into the casting really helps- with less than 1/2 inch cam lift putting in what starts off as a 2.02 valve cut down and with 30 degree seats helps (you cut down as going 30 degrees makes it too thin on the edge, and back cut
If you are not going to at least port the 318 heads then milled 360 but I'd try and get the late ones or go Magnums
you can go 9.5 if you rework your vacuum advance and advance curve and have the carb dialed in (but if you get a load of bad gas...)

That is very interesing where these sold in new cars or was it an aftermarket dealer upgrade type thing? I have never heard or seen that before sorry for being skeptical its nothing personal I am a little hesitate to believe everything i read in the internet with out facts or proof if you know what I mean! Lol thanks for that info tho
Sold new. Beginning of '78 they just bolted the TQ intake/carb on top of the 318 heads. Then they put the 360 heads on with the combo. You can go to any 318 4bbl, common in ramchargers and maxi vans, especially from '81 -84 and it will have 360 heads on it. Cop car diplomats with the 318 4bbl will have 360 heads as well. I've owned them, and know others that have owned them as well. these performed very well right out of the box, but were choked as well with single exhaust, and cats.

Was that an allpar article? I found it and read it that is some good info thanks!! So it said evey .005 milled off the head is 1cc so i could mill .50 and take of 10cc with a 73cc head that would put me back to where i am now with stock 318 heads could i run that setup with factory rockers or would i have to switch to adjustable like it says in the article? Cause lets face it thats more $$$$ lol does anyone know how much the average head milling costs?
318 heads work well on 318's, especially with a little home porting. 360 heads work better IF cut .040. You can use the 318 push rods/rockers. they are the same as 360's anyways.
Key to head performance starts with valves that seal and good valve guides. IF the valves leak and you have sloppy valve guides, you performance and gas mileage just took it right in the gut.

Ok so im looking at some of these pistons on summit if i where gonna go to the 360 heads could i use a kb flat top to gain some of my compression back without any machine work? I looked up some pricing and thats just out of reach right now i found a set of kb flat top for 136 that may be doable how much compression gain will it give me? The 360 heads is an option i already have the heads laying around so it wouldn't cost nothing to bolt them on I have alot of work to do to this car to get it driveale I dont really want to spend alot of money on an engine that already runs if you know what I mean I am currently rebuilding the front end ball joints bushings tierods steering gear tires etc the i have to do body and paint and interior. There is two differen compressio heights on these pistons what does that number mean?

You can raise compression with piston by either bigger bore, or pistons that go up the sleeve higher. Your factory pistons are already flat tops. Another thing is, if you put your money in the heads, they will work great on your future 360 and save you a ton. If you are not worried about every single hp from your 318, I'd stick with stock pistons and do a good job on your heads. mild porting (home works well, I've done videos for how-to), good valves/valve job and guides. Cut them .040 and they will work awesome on your 318, and will be 360 ready. My 2 cents

Ok thank you very much you are appreciated!! I will probably get the car road worthy and save up again and put some money in the 360 heads i can always swap the heads out in the car later

Just build what you have, since its just a engine to get the car moving.

-
Back