Budget drag car… B-Body or A-Body?

-
moparmaga I would like to hear more about the truck... I have an original owner 92 D150 5.2 reg cab / short bed that runs low 15s with a little work done to it ... I have Won way more with it ( over ten Eliminators / Finals ) than with my 68 Dart that has well over 65k in it.. the recent freshening on my backup 367 was over 6k..if I didn't have the D150 from new I would definitely build a Dakota

View attachment 1715870163

View attachment 1715870166
It was a very low mile 12,000 when I bought it in 1997, Canadian truck ,95 SLT, dark grey metallic.
It had a shift kit, I had the transmission guy at work due a little tuning on it. The engine completely stock except k&n & Mopar performance plug wires & coil. 3.55s in the rear. It was lowered with belltech spindles & 2 inch blocks out back with weld Scorpio V wheels. Nice truck, my favorite I've ever had.

With a turbo LS in it!!!!!
Mine too .. shift kit in the 518 and I had the lockup converter redone by Ultimate , M/P hi perf.computer, had 3:55s I put in a 4:10 sure grip, shorty headers, cheap traction bars , drag radials runs 15.20s with 2.00 60 fts

We have a 69 Dart with a 512, Indy heads ect and a 66 Coronet with a 440 engine, trick flows, the one advantage of the b body
,it has is more room and that makes it easier to work on,

There's a pinto by me that's 3k, sorry had to say it lol

Also hate to say it, but Chevy or Ford drag cars are so much cheaper. If I ever had to go over to the dark side it would probably be a fox body Ford.
If I didn’t have a car, I’d agree. Prices of old cars aren’t a help. Granted the sport ain’t cheap! But old iron prices don’t help much.

Finding a not so desirable late year B body or new FMJ does not sit well with many.

The best cheap motor might be a 5.9 magnum. Get the trans with it and it would be a good base. When i pulled a 200 thou mile 5.9 apart, i could have cleaned, honed and rering it. Regrind the rollercam, better valve sorings and come up with a top end and you should have a cheap 350+ hp motor.

-
Back