Buff/Polish Glass???

-

redrag64

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm grasping at straws, but is there a way to buff out, polish, or even clear coat pitted glass. The windshield on my 64 Dart looks like it has been sandblasted. Before I buy new glass and seal, wanted to make sure there weren't any tricks to try.

They showcased it on one of the Powerblock shows a couple weeks ago, looked like it worked pretty well.

Seen this tip on TV a long time ago. Don't laugh..... Polishing buffer with tartar control Crest toothpaste. Has to be the paste form. I have tried it and it does wonders on hard water spots. 8)

I've had fairly good success with the Eastwood kit for deep scratches. Follow the instructions and use lots of water while polishing. Remember that you need to take the entire glass down the same everywhere or else you'll get a "wavy" glass effect. It takes time and if you can borrow a "waterbug" type body sander the final results will be acceptable. I've done side windows with the vertical scratches and windshields with pits and circular wiper scratches and was able to remove all but the deepest cuts. 75Sport

When i restore a vehicle i take out the glass and lay it flat upon a padded, folding frame then srape the rough stuff off with a razor. Then with water and soap lightly wash it with 0000 steel wool. After that process i wet it down and use a final glaze polish on my variable speed buffer and have had very good success with this process. Cheap try that's worth the effort. Having traveled through some of our desert areas, i do know what sand in a wind storm can do to a windshield. They maybe to deep for this process. Good luck and let us know if you come up with any great methods.
Small Block

I'm pretty sure I'm grasping at straws, but is there a way to buff out, polish, or even clear coat pitted glass. The windshield on my 64 Dart looks like it has been sandblasted. Before I buy new glass and seal, wanted to make sure there weren't any tricks to try.

Years ago I paid a older gentleman to polish the windshield in our first notchback. He warned me that the wiper scratch and many of the pits were too deep and would not disappear completely. He also said to try and make it look new would leave it wavy. All too true. A wavy glass will almost make one sea sick. The wiper scratch was about gone but there was a place where the wiper didn't clear too.
Bottom line, If you can buy a new windshield that's a better plan.
On a positive note, you can polish all the other glasses to look as new as the windshield.

My mind leans towards Redfish, but my wallet (and Scottish heritage) REALLY wants to agree with the optomists! I have a pretty solid MOPAR wrecking yard about an hour from me, so I think I'll see what they have and then figure out if I'll roll the dice on trying to polish mine out first. Either way, everyone's input is greatly appreciated, and I am going into this with a lot more info than I had two days ago. THANKS!

Please let us know what what you end up doing, and how it works out.
Good luck!:thumrigh:

new windshield 252.00 (after spending 75.00 to have mine polished) oh well I tried

Recently purchased new widshield for $200........65 Barracuda.
I believe same as your Dart????

new windshield 252.00 (after spending 75.00 to have mine polished) oh well I tried

Is this Carl? This is Adam from So Cal. Yeah, it sounds like polishing out the windshield is a lossing battle. I think I'll search for a deal on something in better condidtion than what I have currently. THANKS!

I've used Pearl Drops toothpaste for years with great results. It really works.

I've used Pearl Drops toothpaste for years with great results. It really works.

I don't think I can pass up trying something that cheap. What do I have to lose - except for the $3.00 for a tube of toothpaste.

-
Back