Buick GSX and Plymouth GTX

-

CudaFan88

Reaction score
Can we talk about these two cars? :) feel free to move this if its in the wrong spot. Anyone own one of these? Share a pic too. :burnout:

what year are you talking about ....my cousin has a 69 but depending on the year you are talking about, they changed quite a bit over the years ......a 69 will look completely different from a 71

what year are you talking about ....my cousin has a 69 but depending on the year you are talking about, they changed quite a bit over the years ......a 69 will look completely different from a 71

Don't matter. I just thought having a thread for em be fun. :)

Went to school with a girl who had a 1970 GSX 4 speed car. The car was hot and so was she. She's still hot and she still has the car.

Went to school with a girl who had a 1970 GSX 4 speed car. The car was hot and so was she. She's still hot and she still has the car.

are they both still hot or is one saggy and the other rusty.....you know at your age. LOL

I am looking at internet pics of a 70 gsx and you are right .......good looking ride

Both great cars. I always thought that Buick was GM best line. But I love a GTX much more.

I like them both, but the 70/72' GSX in Stage One trim, will show the taillights to 80% of 67/69 Gtx's. Sad, but true.

Both great cars. I always thought that Buick was GM best line. But I love a GTX much more.

Was thinking the same thing, love the GTX but can't deny that the GSX is a sexy beast :glasses7:

I have owned a 67 GTX since 1996, and it has been a pleasure to own! Sure, I've done a few things to it here and there, but it has been a great car! Never breaks down, seats about 6 people, and does one heck of a burnout, even with the aforementioned 6 passengers aboard! We take it to the Nats every year so we can all ride together in style, it was Plymouth's highest trim offering don't ya know!!! We'll probably own it forever, but its always for sale, just haven't found the right deal/trade/new owner yet!! Might never......

Here's a pic of it about 6 months after I got it! You can see that it still has the screw down gas cap and 66 taillights in it! All of the high dollar (at the time) trim items were missing from it, so it had a couple satellite replacements! All been changed back over time though! My total investment in this car so far is about $3500, including the price of the 64 Belvedere I traded for it!!

The GSX??? I'm a big fan of them, and always wanted one! Best looking GM car made IMO! Just call me a closet Buick man, I'm OK with this!!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 321
I've seen I THINK they were '70-'72 Olds "442's, from what I can see, the one year of GSX looks a lot like a 442....Specially the grille!

Sadly, I'm a Mopar nut, sure am, That my dear Mopar friends will go with me to the grave, right to the bitter end, HOWEVER I'm a "Closet Olds guy"....IF I "HAD" to pick something other then ANYTHING Mopar, it be an Olds.....Taking out EVERY Mopar I've ever driven, a '72 Olds 442 with a 455 was the second fastest car, I've ever driven! Hemi powered '70 Charger, blown, takes first place (I miss playing with a friends Dads car, that Charger was the ****!) But another friends Dad had this Olds 442 that was something else.....I painted that car in my early 20's and by god he asked if I'd take him for a ride first trip up the by-pass in my home town.....Asked if I'd "push it" and I was like My Gawd, are ya sure? you know. 155 MPH, I'm still alive, Gary is still alive, and the car got home, and he recently sold it, in the same shape he received it in from the garage I worked for that painted it.....Was that Dark Red with white outlined body lines..... But by God, it sure would haul *** it hauled me around pretty damn quick thats forsure....Hard to beat a blown Hemi tho!!!!

I've seen I THINK they were '70-'72 Olds "442's, from what I can see, the one year of GSX looks a lot like a 442....Specially the grille!

Sadly, I'm a Mopar nut, sure am, That my dear Mopar friends will go with me to the grave, right to the bitter end, HOWEVER I'm a "Closet Olds guy"....IF I "HAD" to pick something other then ANYTHING Mopar, it be an Olds.....Taking out EVERY Mopar I've ever driven, a '72 Olds 442 with a 455 was the second fastest car, I've ever driven! Hemi powered '70 Charger, blown, takes first place (I miss playing with a friends Dads car, that Charger was the ****!) But another friends Dad had this Olds 442 that was something else.....I painted that car in my early 20's and by god he asked if I'd take him for a ride first trip up the by-pass in my home town.....Asked if I'd "push it" and I was like My Gawd, are ya sure? you know. 155 MPH, I'm still alive, Gary is still alive, and the car got home, and he recently sold it, in the same shape he received it in from the garage I worked for that painted it.....Was that Dark Red with white outlined body lines..... But by God, it sure would haul *** it hauled me around pretty damn quick thats forsure....Hard to beat a blown Hemi tho!!!!

X2 for the Oldsmobiles.
If i wasn't a Mopar man it would definitely be Oldsmobiles for me.
I got my driver's license in a '72 Olds delta Royale 2 door, it was my mom's car.
It went pretty good with the 425 out of a '66 that we put in it to replace the worn out 455. Not bad on gas too.

The Buicks had the most advertised torque of any American V8 during the muscle era, period. Hands down. They always had really heavy bodies, though. Their Skylark was always heavier then the Chevelle, for instance. God forbid they made some kinda F body such as Chevy's Camaro or Pontiac's Firebird. Can you imagine a really hot 430 and a Muncie in some kinda 68 model Buick F body? That wouldda been epic. Course the 430 only came one way. HOT. But I am sure they wouldda kicked it up a notch or two.

Oldsmobile was no stranger to the Hemi concept, either.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1101_oldsmobile_hemi_engine/

The only thing I never liked about the Olds engines was the chinsy rocker arm hardware. They just never had camshaft profiles hot enough that warranted an adjustable valve train. They still had some nice cars though. If you wanted some muscle with some luxury thrown in, the Buick or Olds fit the bill nicely. Anybody couldda had a Chevy. And far as I'm concerned, Pontiac doesn't even enter into the equation.

I will take this every day over the gsx, thanks , but no thanks

Attachments

• 71g.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 265
  • ert3.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 260
Oldsmobile was no stranger to the Hemi concept, either.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1101_oldsmobile_hemi_engine/

The only thing I never liked about the Olds engines was the chinsy rocker arm hardware. They just never had camshaft profiles hot enough that warranted an adjustable valve train. They still had some nice cars though. If you wanted some muscle with some luxury thrown in, the Buick or Olds fit the bill nicely. Anybody couldda had a Chevy. And far as I'm concerned, Pontiac doesn't even enter into the equation.

Rob,
Thats that 455 DOHC "Pent-Roof" I was speaking of, they never saw it through though! NOT sure why tho, that thing woulda been killer.....THAT Olds motor being built for sale, would have seen our infamous 425 DOHC Hemi "A925" built, AND sold! Fords "Camer woulda fell short because of this!

I have to say, Yeah, was a bolt on accessory to the 455 block so who knows what that might have done! AND its out there, a guy owns what I think is 3/4ths a complete engine to it too! The Olds "Hemi-Clone"

I owned a 1969 Gtx 440/4bbl/833-4speed/Dana 4.10

I bought the car with 1600 (that's 16 hundred) miles on it from a neighbor who's wife hated the car.
It was an excellent car, and the perfect daily drive to offset my no frills 1968 Hemi Roadrunner that I purchased new.

I will take this every day over the gsx, thanks , but no thanks

The 71 Road Runner and GTX are my two favorite cars. Period. I don't think anybody has said the Buick was better, just that there were cool cars other than Mopar. Now don't be getting all butthurt up.

-
Back