Buick GSX and Plymouth GTX

-
Now I am a BIG fan of the 69 and prior. Just that one year, 70 just never did it for me. They are better than chebbies. lol

Same here.

My brother, on the other hand, likes the '70 better.

It's kind of like the '71 B-bodies. I've was never a fan of the looks until I restored a '72 Charger for a customer. The more it sat in my shop, the more I worked on it, the more I liked it. But I'll still take the '69 down as my preference.

I have a local friend who has a numbers matching 71 Super Bee survivor. 383, 4speed, Ramcharger hood car. This very same car my high school friend and I used to drool over at Supercars Unlimited in Macon in the early 80s. And the friend I know now, has it. 75% original paint, original interior, transmission and rear end in the car. He has another 383 HP in it now, because the original engine is frozen with rust. We've had it sitting with 50/50 mix in it awhile. He drives the car sometimes everyday. It's going to be a super nice restoration when he's done. I absolutely love the body style. The 73 and 74 cars have also grown on me through the years too. Both the Dodges and the Plymouths.

I also like the way 71+ B-bodies look but the problem I have always had with them is that they are just not around. Even when my family had their salvage yard, you never saw 71+ B-bodies around except for a few 73/4 chargers. 67-70 B-bodies are much more common and better supported by the re-pop guys.

Everyone has their opinion. I never really cared for the front of the '71. I also prefer the '70. With that said, my '73 Satellite Sebring Plus, in my opinion, was/is the best looking car I ever owned. Wish I still had it.

Attachments

• '73 Satellite Sebring Plus.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 101
Everyone has their opinion. I never really cared for the front of the '71. I also prefer the '70. With that said, my '73 Satellite Sebring Plus, in my opinion, was/is the best looking car I ever owned. Wish I still had it.

yea, i like 73's as well I also dig my charger

Attachments

• rb162.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 97
yea, i like 73's as well I also dig my charger

yea I hear that ....those 73/4 chargers are sweet. I had a yellow 73 and I got rid of it because its too big for me but I remember parking in the parking lot at wally world and having to keep looking back at it because that profile has a nice shape.

I'm a diehard Mopar fan but I still love the looks of a lot of other muscle era cars, including the GS and GSX Buicks. They were the gentleman's hotrod. They were the king of torque and if they could get it to stick they were quick cars but most of the time I saw them run that massive torque just made for a good burnout show. I'm talking back in the 80's when you didn't see very many guys running good tires on the street. The track was a different story since they usually ran slicks. If I had a WHOLE bunch of money I'd have a GS or GSX in my garage, but several Mopar's, including a GTX, and a few other muscle cars would come first. JMHO

Rusty I have to disagree with you on the point about Pontiac's not being in the picture, but that's just my opinion. I was never a big fan of them until I was 19 and bought a 72 Grand Prix SJ for $285 (remember them good ole days). Had the original 400 with 8.8 to 1 compression, a real mild Crane cam, Holley intake, Thermoquad, headers, stock stall converter and a 3.08 single track rearend and still ran 13.80's and would wrap the 120 speedo around to within 1/4" of zero. I know that's not real fast but I believe with a little looser converter, a 3:73~3.90 gear and sticky tires it would have easily been in the 12's. It was also a super nice driving car. Here's a picture of one that looks identical to mine except mine had aluminum slots on it

Attachments

• 72 Grand Prix SJ.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 91
Sadly I'm hijacking here, but I know where Tracy is coming from. :thumbrig:

Although a collaborative "semi" restoration effort with the Dealer I worked for in about 86', I did the drivetrain on this one. A 1970 400/350hp, auto and 2.93 gears. Powerhouse...No, but it came out sweet!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 100
  • scan0002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 98
  • scan0003.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 99
  • scan0004.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 85
-
Back