Build Up On Distributor Crown

-

KP

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this before and if so what casues it and how should I go about cleaning it?

After starting up my Plymouth for the 1st time after sitting all winter she did not what to run and missed real bad. I had just did an oil and filter change and was taking her for state inspection. I decided to change plugs and thought since the distributor is an MDS and they use 3 different rotors I better double check to see what style mine was and this is what I fould after I remover the distributor cap.

0521101829.jpg

0521101829a.jpg

Would this cause my spark plugs to black as well?

That happens to mine from sitting all winter,the cap and rotor get some build-up too i change the cap and rotor every spring have never had a miss in the motor..

Hey KP, missed this thread. Some wild stuff huh? I bet you were surprised at that find.

Well, IMO, yes, that would cause the plugs to go black since the fireing signal is weak and/or off if even present at all from time to time. Being brass, you can do as suggested. Just hold that distributor upside down to have debrise fall out instead of in. A quick vacuuming would also help if anything falls in.

Hey KP, missed this thread. Some wild stuff huh? I bet you were surprised at that find.

Well, IMO, yes, that would cause the plugs to go black since the fireing signal is weak and/or off if even present at all from time to time. Being brass, you can do as suggested. Just hold that distributor upside down to have debrise fall out instead of in. A quick vacuuming would also help if anything falls in.
x2 kp also WD40 is a big help Artie

-
Back