Building a shop, - ground anchors .

-

Inertia

Reaction score
I just found another instance where I wished I had put places in the concrete to pull from, ground anchors? Substantial Pull-points in the floor .
I had them many years ago in one shop, and forgot just how helpful they can be to pull out body-work, drag vehicle into shop, yada yada .
Hope it helps, cheers .

Last edited:
I’m thankful that I’d seen someone else mention this same thing last year. Because of that, I added 4 of them in my shop floor. Shop still isn’t done, so I haven’t gotten to use them yet, but I’m sure they’ll come in super handy.

I wouldn’t begin to know where to place them. And so me being me, the floor would look like a Swiss cheese pegboard with the anchors every 1 foot so you don’t miss an angle.

If you put them sorta in 4 corners and mid sides, you can rig chain from any 2 and have purchase near everywhere. imho
Recessed into floor.

They are super nice for bending the I Beams for alignment on Ford trucks.

When I built this shop I had no idea my kids would drag me back, - kicking and screaming (not), into roundy-round, and the need to un-bend chit . lol

When I built this shop I had no idea my kids would drag me back, - kicking and screaming (not), into roundy-round, and the need to un-bend chit . lol
I do believe the after pour installation is strongest.

I do believe the after pour installation is strongest.
It depends on how you do it. My buddy down the road that runs a restoration shop tied them to a 15' 8" steel I beam 24" under an 8" slab. So that's 2' 8" of concrete on top of the I beams. Two in the front and two in the back of the shop. They ain't goin anywhere.

I use a simple 1/2 inch "Red Head" brand anchor.

At least 4" into the concrete.

I have one at the back center line of half of my bays.

Haven't had any problems ever. One even pulls up hill.

I use a come a long or a harbor freight 2500# winch.

Those lag anchors are about $5 each but some times the Habitat Re-Store has them for $2.

The 1/2" by 12" masonry bit was the big expense.

Make sure you leave enough threads sticking out to put a nut, two heavy washers and the chain link, but not enough that the torque could bend the rod.

...and make sure you have at least a short lead of chain big enough to fit over a 1/2" stud.

Last edited:
I used the Champ pulling pots in layout #6 when I poured my shop floor. Haven't used them much but when you need one, it's a Godsend.

I used the Champ pulling pots in layout #6 when I poured my shop floor. Haven't used them much but when you need one, it's a Godsend.

Thanks very much, that going to be very helpful, exactly the info needed.

-
Back