building pole barns in the sky

-
thank guys

i talked to the township the other day, and they mentioned it isnt too hard to get am exemption on the size (as long as the neighbours arent too set on their view) but there is also a minimum distance to the street i need to consider (which is less often exempt)

30x50 built into the bank. That's why the walls are stepped concrete. Have 6" Crete floors 10" walls with a 12" rebar grid throughout. Attic trusses give me 6 foot upstairs with 12 foot downstairs. Rolled insulation 6 inches thick then OSB walls inside. I can back truck and 20 foot deck trailer in and close the doors. Nice to have when coming home after a long haul for picking up cars.

View attachment 1715004588

View attachment 1715004592

View attachment 1715004593
I bought a 77 Aspen wagon like that new with 360. Ran great but had trouble with pushrods shoving thru rockers. Nice shop btw

thank guys

i talked to the township the other day, and they mentioned it isnt too hard to get am exemption on the size (as long as the neighbours arent too set on their view) but there is also a minimum distance to the street i need to consider (which is less often exempt)

Did you ask how much $$$ it will cost to "ask" for the variance? Ours here are up to $1000. That's to "ask". There's no guarantee. I went through that 12 years ago with my other garage because I was 3 feet too close to boundary line. Luckily at that time it was only $350. But they told me part of my granting of my variance was that I was only allowed to go 9 feet high with my doors. Said the 10's were too commercial looking. REALLY??? I took the brick off the side of the existing house and used it on the front of the garage. This one's 30x52. I had to go two extra feet so I could get around the well. It's in a concrete pit.

Just take the right person out to a very expensive dinner!! It ain't what you know...

Did you ask how much $$$ it will cost to "ask" for the variance? Ours here are up to $1000. That's to "ask". There's no guarantee. I went through that 12 years ago with my other garage because I was 3 feet too close to boundary line. Luckily at that time it was only $350. But they told me part of my granting of my variance was that I was only allowed to go 9 feet high with my doors. Said the 10's were too commercial looking. REALLY??? I took the brick off the side of the existing house and used it on the front of the garage. This one's 30x52. I had to go two extra feet so I could get around the well. It's in a concrete pit.

$250.00 to ask for the variance (i dont know if i can ask for two of them at the same time)

Just take the right person out to a very expensive dinner!! It ain't what you know...

...it's who you know

(i KNOW theres a country song along those lines...but i cant cant remember it for the life of me)

Height needs to be in the top 3 of must haves..... Initially when I built mine last year it was not a huge consideration and then I read a post on Garage Journal about lifts and the rest is history.

If you plan on doing car work you will want a lift in your life lol.....

JW

Not a pole building but when I built my 24 x 32 garage last year I had them raise my wall size from 10 ft to 12 ft. I was originally going to go with modified tresses but when my builder told me that it would only be $800.00 to go to 12 ft it was a no brainier. The doors are 8ft doors but the tracks go up 12 ft so the doors clear the lift. I also had 4000 PSI cement poured 4" thick and 6" thick where the lift supports were supposed to go. I had to insulate, wire and drywall the interior myself (with a lot of help from my buddy Larry). We just finished adding the ceiling insulation 2 moths ago. Only regret is that I WISH I WOULD HAVE WENT BIGGER.
IMG_20160402_133539607-640x480.jpg
IMG_20161105_191205265-2137x1202.jpg

When I moved here 25 years ago I put up a 1200 sq. ft. building, the maximum allowed. It has a slightly odd shape to deal with setback from the road issues. After ten years I wanted a lift, but ceilings are only 9.5 ft.

So to build any more I had to apply for a double zoning variance. Cost me $100. When I was applying for the variance and paying the $100 I was told they won't give it to you just because you want it, you have to prove a need.

Since my hearing was 2 months out I went to the next hearing to see what people were saying to the zoning board when applying for their variance. Watching that meeting was very helpful as it gave me a story line that fit my situation and wasn't really stretching the truth very much.

Before the hearing the board members come out and look at the layout of your place to see how what you want to do will fit in to the area. They also send a letter to anyone whose property buts up to yours so they can come to the hearing and object if they want.

In the end my variance was approved, even though one of the neighbors had some minor issues with it and one of the board members really grilled me on why I needed more space. So now I have 660 more sq. ft. and a 4 post lift, which has made working on stuff so much easier.

-
Back