Building your own kickdown linkage?

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Anyone who have a blueprint or can make one on how to build a kickdown linkage (or wire) for my '66 Dart with 318/904 ??

I know how the stock parts look, but I don't have one to build after and I'm in desperate need of a kickdown linkage! And buying a wire kit for 100USD is out of the question and anyhow a stock linkage wouldnt fit since I have a Holley on top.

Best regards!

All of those original rods were made of hardened steel so their bends would stay put. The early models had the bellcrank mounted to the firewall plus they didn't have the relief slot in the throttle end. A broken left motor support would cause a runaway car. If the engineers couldn't get it right it's certainly not something for use to screw around with. Just my .02

That's just right but as I said I dn't have ANYTHING even remotely looking lika a kickdown/throttle linkage... The idiot P.O used a bicylce wire for throttle and that's all that's there. So I still need a blueprint or something, Finding a stock linkage isn't the easiest thing when you live in Sweden...

Man building that would be a job. The rods wouldn't be too bad but the bellcranks would. BTW: The Lokar setup isn't a $100. I just picked one up for $70. Is that too much to consider you'd spend all day building it and maybe another day perfecting it. And if it doesn't work right you could burn up the transmission.

Well I might have to buy a wire setup but it really is 100+++ USD, shipping across the atlantic isn't cheap....

I thought you meant it was $100 for just the cable. Didn't know you were including shipping. I see your point that it is a fair amount of money but again is it worth 2 days work and chancing burning up your trans. for $100??

BTW: Right now if you look in the parts for sale section at the top is a 10% off coupon from Summit. That'd save some at least. Just a thought.

Anyone who have a blueprint or can make one on how to build a kickdown linkage (or wire) for my '66 Dart with 318/904 ??

I know how the stock parts look, but I don't have one to build after and I'm in desperate need of a kickdown linkage! And buying a wire kit for 100USD is out of the question and anyhow a stock linkage wouldnt fit since I have a Holley on top.

Best regards!

Kickdown stuff comes up all the time on EBay

For example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/273-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

...and...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPA...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Even w/shipping these work out cheaper...and like someone else pointed out...you're taking a chance on ruining your trans if you run w/o KD linkage.

and here are the pics you requested
greets
Juergen
linkage1.jpg

linkage2.jpg

linkage3.jpg

linkage4.jpg

linkage5.jpg

linkage6.jpg

linkage7.jpg

linkage8.jpg

linkage10.jpg

linkage11.jpg

linkage12.jpg

Im surprised none of the readers could offer a photo of correct linkage. I will latter today when I have time to lay some out.
last post of photo is some post 67 stuff, which could work. 66 stuff wasnt an ideal working set up.
red

Im surprised none of the readers could offer a photo of correct linkage. I will latter today when I have time to lay some out.
last post of photo is some post 67 stuff, which could work. 66 stuff wasnt an ideal working set up.
red

but he asked for a BLUEPRINT , photos don't give you measurements which are somewhat critical .

also the LOKAR is not the setup to use , it's a generic setupo and does not have the proper ratio for movement of the throttle to movement of the THROTTLE VALVE LEVER on the trans , the bouchilon setup is MOPAR SPECIFIC .

but he asked for a BLUEPRINT , photos don't give you measurements which are somewhat critical .

That's right.

also the LOKAR is not the setup to use , it's a generic setupo and does not have the proper ratio for movement of the throttle to movement of the THROTTLE VALVE LEVER on the trans , the bouchilon setup is MOPAR SPECIFIC .

As far as the Lokar not providing the correct ratio vs. the Bouchilion setup what's different between them? Does the Bouchilion come with the lever that goes on the transmission or some sort of adapter bracket for the carb? I had absolutely no problem installing my Lokar setup and getting it to work correctly. The ratio is determined by the center to center measurement of the mounting point on the carb to the pivot point. In fact I measured the center to pivot point on my 750 Holley and it's very close to the center to center measurement on the transmission lever (within 1/16"). That's what determines the ratio. It may not be 100% on the dot but it's close enough not to cause any problem from my perspective.

And why is the Bouchilion Mopar specific and the Lokar generic? The transmission bracket and rod ends on a Lokar are specific to a Mopar. They don't fit a Chevy.

Oh, but I have an holley 650DP, any way to make the 2barrel setup work? Sorry if I forgot to mention that! Thanks for all the help anyway!

I was missing the carb linkage rod on my Duster when I bought the car. A guy on Moparts gace me a rod free and I made it an easy adjustable one with a turnbuckle assy from Lowes for $1.68

:burnout:

IMAG0002.jpg

-
Back