Buyer beware - '66 Valiant on eBay

-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too suspicious but this seems like something is not right.
It's appears to be an original slant six but has a VIN for a V8 - could be title or VIN issues.
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=281376927336
I did send a message to the seller but have heard back
Also the trunk lid has been replaced or repaired so it's not an original condition "survivor" sort of car.
But it does Look like a really solid car & would be a great driver.
So am I being too suspicious?

my quick look -- something doesn't match. look at the engine compartment at the firewall, tan & blue paint-- plus the cowl vents are painted red--- I skimmed the description-- but those items alone deem further scrutiny if i was interested in this car. The seat covers look loose (like aftermarket homeowner install)

Dual master cylinder?

if you like the style & do not care about original it might be a sweet deal
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4461875957.html

local cl ad-- that I could inspect for a fabo mermber

I get the resell red vibe from this auction. Lawrence

looks like a pieced together car to me , made up of 2 or more cars.

I've never seen a steering column with rust like that one has on it on the inside of the car , must have sat outside with no top on it.

Let's see, Barracuda grilles, incorrect trunk lid, "original interior"??...none of the seats have the original pattern, and why does the passenger seat cover not match the drivers and rear? Clearly been repainted!! Survivor?? I think not!!

the terms "survivor" and "rare", maybe a little overused in the car hobby????? LOL
survivor sounds better than tellin someone its a cobbled up, pieced together pile of poop!!?? LOL

the terms "survivor" and "rare", maybe a little overused in the car hobby????? LOL
survivor sounds better than tellin someone its a cobbled up, pieced together pile of poop!!?? LOL

Yeah, just like the term "Rat Rod" to describe a piece of junk that been tac welded and bondo heaven, and glued together and because they call it a Rat Rod, its worth allot of money. Thanks Velocity Channel for making more douchebags think their POS cars and trucks are actually worth real money because of a stupid terminology for piece of ****,:violent1::finga:

I sent the seller a question about the car asking why the VIN shows it to be an original 273 V8 Car, and she calls it an original California car, leading people to believe it was made in California, when in fact it was built in Michigan, according to the VIN the seller provided. I mean, it could have been sold in California, but that doesn't make it and original California car to me, unless it was built at the City of Commerce plant in 1966, THEN and only then, to ME< would I call it and original California Car

Yeah, just like the term "Rat Rod" to describe a piece of junk that been tac welded and bondo heaven, and glued together and because they call it a Rat Rod, its worth allot of money. Thanks Velocity Channel for making more douchebags think their POS cars and trucks are actually worth real money because of a stupid terminology for piece of ****,:violent1::finga:

I sent the seller a question about the car asking why the VIN shows it to be an original 273 V8 Car, and she calls it an original California car, leading people to believe it was made in California, when in fact it was built in Michigan, according to the VIN the seller provided. I mean, it could have been sold in California, but that doesn't make it and original California car to me, unless it was built at the City of Commerce plant in 1966, THEN and only then, to ME< would I call it and original California Car

An original California car would be a car a dealer sold new in California. It has nothing to do with the assembly plant location.

In the picture of the back seat area, look down at how the carpet doesn't fit right. Look at how rusty the floor board is and that's not all of it! Imagine what the whole floor looks like under that.

I agree, this car has been painted at least twice now and is cobbled together for a quick flip.

Looks like the dash has been repaired (cob job) inner door jams not [painted , engine compartment a different color, its a project

Even though the description all sounds like bull the car is pretty nice for the money it's at now.

Why would a person make a point of saying "has never been cut or welded and has NO RUST!" ?

i just asked the seller who did the mods to car(m/c, paint/ slant 6)-- only because of the survivor salesman ship.

i told them as a cool convert it was great. we will see the response, Lawrence

An original California car would be a car a dealer sold new in California. It has nothing to do with the assembly plant location.

I guess so...but like I said to me a ORIGINAL California car as stated in the ad, would tell me it was made in California, like I said in my previous post, it could have been sold in California first, but the ad leads me to believe it is a TRUE california car, meaning it was built in California too. Just my 2 cents like it or not:glasses7:

I guess so...but like I said to me a ORIGINAL California car as stated in the ad, would tell me it was made in California, like I said in my previous post, it could have been sold in California first, but the ad leads me to believe it is a TRUE california car, meaning it was built in California too. Just my 2 cents like it or not:glasses7:

You are welcome to your opinion even if it isn't the accepted standard.

her response to me --corrected-- it only says due to the fuel crisis in earlier years the car was converted to a slant-- no mention of the dual master cylinder-- or the paint issues.

this was my ?
who did all the mods to this car?-- master cylinder is not 1966 correct, paint job is not factory , vin shows a 273 car-- who put in the slant 6??

I only ask because advertised as a survivor car-- there are many questions to that-- now for a fun convert -- it gets high marks -- please advise or edit description
this is the answer.

Corrected Thank you Victoria.

also the auction now has updated info about the fuel crisis years ago.

I would run away from that car unless the current bid of 1625 holds & wins it.
I concur with the original assessment ,buyer beware.
I just responded to the ebay message"
fuel crisis? what about the paint & the dual master cylinder-- your ad is very misleading-- the car could be a very cool cruiser but is no means a survivor car-- many issues to mean survivor-- meaning original factory car, good luck with your sale. I hope the buyer is not disappointed.
Lawrence

You are welcome to your opinion even if it isn't the accepted standard.

Gee thanks for letting me have my own opinion:p original is original. If it's made in California and sold in California it's an original California car. Simple really. The ad leads me to believe it was built in California meaning "original" from California. It was built in Michigan and shipped to California so it's originally from Michigan.

Sorry but your two cents is worth about .005 worth of lead

IF it was sold in CA it's a CA car. I'm not sayin this car WAS sold anywhere. Where it was manufactured hasn't a thing to do with anything. "Up here," original Montana, Idaho, Wash state cars came from "wherever." sometimes dealers had surplus or needed a car, and shipped them.

IF it was sold in CA it's a CA car. I'm not sayin this car WAS sold anywhere. Where it was manufactured hasn't a thing to do with anything.

i agree that if the car is sold in California, then it's a California car.

Cali has more strict emissions. My 67 formula S was sold in California and has "California emissions" on it. A little green vacuum pod with three vacuum connections, one for the carb from ported vacuum, one for manifold vacuum, and one to the vacuum advance on the distributor. This was part of the stricter California emissions standards. That is what makes it a California car, not where it was built.

Just because it was built in California, doesn't mean it was built for the California emissions. Any car that was built in California and shipped to another state, did not have the California emissions on it like the California marketed cars.

Sorry but your two cents is worth about .005 worth of lead

IF it was sold in CA it's a CA car. I'm not sayin this car WAS sold anywhere. Where it was manufactured hasn't a thing to do with anything. "Up here," original Montana, Idaho, Wash state cars came from "wherever." sometimes dealers had surplus or needed a car, and shipped them.

i agree that if the car is sold in California, then it's a California car.

Cali has more strict emissions. My 67 formula S was sold in California and has "California emissions" on it. A little green vacuum pod with three vacuum connections, one for the carb from ported vacuum, one for manifold vacuum, and one to the vacuum advance on the distributor. This was part of the stricter California emissions standards. That is what makes it a California car, not where it was built.

Just because it was built in California, doesn't mean it was built for the California emissions. Any car that was built in California and shipped to another state, did not have the California emissions on it like the California marketed cars.

LOL, You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

On Jul-04-14 at 15:11:29 PDT, seller added the following information:

Thank you for the many emails about this super cool little Plymouth. Just to Clarify today I called the previous owner to find out the history and yes it was born a V8 car, but during a fuel crisis years ago it was converted to a 6 cylinder. Thank you Victoria

VH27D62597880

-
Back