Buyig a 4spd trans

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
If I can get ahold of the guy tonight I will be buying a 4spd trans with bell and shifter..

The question is tho.. how do i know what im buying and if it will work on the 360 im building. what are splines and how many do i need and whats a good casting number or numbers to look for?

is there a chart i can print that will let me know..

he says its out of his 318 cuda.

Thanks
-Jeff

It would depend on the bell housing and flywheel combo you get. But I think about the biggest you can go is a 10 1/2. As to what clutch it wil depend on what spline you trans is. I have a 10 1/2 in my 66 DArt with I believe is a 23 spline trans. Also you would want a trans for a 66 or newer as the 65 and older had a bolt on drive line at the trans.

Cerwin said:
does clutch size make a difference? or can a clutch be a clutch?
Quick and dirty version: Spline count on the input shaft. It will be 23 or 18, and in your case, it will probably be 23. Hemis and SixPacks used 18. One of the few times that size really doesn't matter. Your biggest headaches will be finding a flywheel for the external balance 360 and getting a pilot bearing of some sort in the end of the crank. I'm running the stock /6 3 speed clutch with an OD833 in a 66 Valiant with no problems so far, but the slant is still stock, for now. :twisted:

You might have issues with the shifter coming out in the correct spot since the B/E body trannys and A-Body trannys have different tailshafts that are different lengths and also the shifter mounting bosses are in different locations.

Trannys with a front bearing retainer of 5.125" are OD trannys, make sure the bellhousing fits snug on the transmission bearing retainer.

I am by no means a tranny expert but these are a few things that i have learned from asking questions.

SO.... I went and saw the fellow with the trans.. but i found out it came from his 74 Cuda with a 318. And when i eyed it over i counldnt find the production numbers.. all i found was:
on the tail shaft C-99127

on casing c 97372

c 95664 Z
[3] [11-9]

This wont be an abody right? the 74 cuda was the last E body cuda. So i assume this trans wnt work.. right?

Sorry for all teh questions guys..
-Jeff

If it is the factory trans out of the car it will be an e-body trans. You can use a e-body trans in an a-body. The forward mount has to be ground down to clear the torsion bar crossmember, the you get or make a shifter mounting bracket that will put the shifter in the a-body location. This bracket bolts to the rear shifter boss. You will also have to shorten your driveline if you use a b/e body trans unless you are running a 727 then it will be the same length.

I saw a post with pictures some were, I will try and find it or at least someone here will find it.

Chuck

thanks Mike.. and Chuck

Ill read over this and see what i come up with.
Anything else is welcome as im an avid reader and dont mind reading till my eyes water.

Lets say i were going to make a custom floor hump.. what would the issue be with just using the E bodies boss mounting location? Would there any dissadvantages to that?

I beleive that that location would put the shifter towards the rear of the car a significant amount, but I am by no means an authority on this. Mike

A body Has 4.35 dia. bearing retainer, a short tail shaft, and the shifter mounts in the middle of it.
B body only has 4. 8 dia. bearing retainer and the shifter lug at the front of the tailshaft.
70 up B & E body trans has 4.8 bearing retainer and shifter lugs front and back of tailshaft.
OD trans has 5.100 bearing retainer. And would have been in A bodies, trucks, or vans.
Here's what you are looking for if you want to use an E body, van, or a truck trans. The truck and vans need the rear lugs drilled and tapped to work.
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/abconv.shtml

Here are the pics and info on the differences. :headbang:
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/4sptech.shtml

-
Back