Buying a used lift worth the savings?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found some lifts advertised that are coming out of a repair shop, bendpak MX-10ACX, 10,000lb, manufactured in 2003. They’re $500 apiece, buyer takes down. That obviously a dang good price, but is the $2500-3000 savings worth having a 20 year old lift vs a new one?

1FC6AEAF-A145-4C09-8E91-DD8E6F7BE9CB.png

6A84FD4A-D332-4EC4-864D-15DF404BBB3E.png

5CC262E2-DF04-4A27-9616-A3DE765C3582.png

All about the condition, they look good from the photos but I'd take a look in person. 65'

Absolutely worth $500 except.... Tear down, haul, setup is very labor intensive if you do it yourself and very expensive if you pay someone to do it. You are better off buying a new lift from a local distributor that will deliver and setup.

I bought my 2 post lifts back in 82, with semi regular maint, still work great .
They're big chunksa steel that bolt together.
The hydraulics are basic .
I replaced the cables about 5 yrs ago.
I've moved these things to 3 different locations, - no drama .

Where are they at I would buy one, only thing that goes bad is the pump

I bought mine used and took it down and re set it up where it now stands... Very much worth it. Parts if needed are still very much still available. And I was surprised at how much of a lift is commonly available industrial components, especially the bearings and rollers, all of which I replaced in mine when I set it up in my garage.
Most of us here at forums like this aren't gonna be running them constantly up n down several times a day, 6-7 days a week. For the most part used is plenty fine. Are there duds out there? Of course. But having less than 1300 in a lift that (last I looked) would cost me $7 grand to duplicate for as close as I could get for what I have, used is just fine.

I found some lifts advertised that are coming out of a repair shop, bendpak MX-10ACX, 10,000lb, manufactured in 2003. They’re $500 apiece, buyer takes down. That obviously a dang good price, but is the $2500-3000 savings worth having a 20 year old lift vs a new one?
I would say "maybe". If you can actually inspect the OPERATING lifts, up to and including putting a vehicle on them and raise them up and let them back down for several cycles, then yes, I MIGHT would buy one that way. Even still, remember you're spending 500 bucks on something that normally can cost thousands, PLUS, you're relying on it with yours and possibly others lives.

I did have to reseal my cylinders, work was stupid simple and just were cheap. And I got 2 extra pumps (brand new even) included with mine. These are just the pumps themselves not the motor or the reservoir but that's what would go bad if anything anyway.
Mine is a 9000 lb Weaver, made in 1986, out of much heavier steel than anything these days. Symmetrical arms, floor plate which has never been an issue for me. Rotary bought out weaver in 1989.

I would buy one for the price, I would also change out the steel lift cable(s) for sure and change the pump fluid.

For a 2 post- the anchoring needs to be "right" and the floor needs to be right.

I know several people who have bought used, name brand lifts and not had any issues.

I couldn't afford a lift like I want if I had to buy new- 4 post with alignment turntables and air jacks.

I've seen three in 5 years for between 2K and 3K. One of these days the stars will line up.

I would say "maybe". If you can actually inspect the OPERATING lifts, up to and including putting a vehicle on them and raise them up and let them back down for several cycles, then yes, I MIGHT would buy one that way. Even still, remember you're spending 500 bucks on something that normally can cost thousands, PLUS, you're relying on it with yours and possibly others lives.
If they are commercial, they will be inspected on a regular basis......At least they are around here. Look at the inspection sticker, might give you some insight.

If they still have them this weekend, I might run down and check them out. I could take my skidloader down to help in removal and could put my truck on them to test them

For a 2 post- the anchoring needs to be "right" and the floor needs to be right.

I know several people who have bought used, name brand lifts and not had any issues.

I couldn't afford a lift like I want if I had to buy new- 4 post with alignment turntables and air jacks.

I've seen three in 5 years for between 2K and 3K. One of these days the stars will line up.
I got my lifts, lease to own, for like $80 each a month, 3 yrs, they were mine. (1982)
National Equipment Leasing .
Should be something similar avail for you .
Good luck, cheers .

If they are commercial, they will be inspected on a regular basis......At least they are around here. Look at the inspection sticker, might give you some insight.
Yeah well, that's around there. LOL I remember many a time when I BEGGED local shops I worked for to preform maintenance on lifts and I had to end up doing it.

Looks like a great deal. Just make sure you have a concrete pad capable of bearing the weight or you may have another big bill on your hands. With a two post lift some manufactures say only one continuous slab of required thickess and strength will work, ie no pouring footings after the fact.

Just the home type lifts with an air jack are thousands more than a "basic" home quality lift.

I can get a name brand commercial quality with all those features for the same as that basic home unit.

New commercial is "dozens" of thousands.

I bought my used lift from a local guy/company who replaces used business with new replacements. He then reconditions the old lift and re-sells them. Have had it for about 12 years and no issues. I purchased it for $1500 including installation for a 9000# asymmetrical Benwill.
Try asking around at local shops and see if they can recommend someone who does the same.

Nope. Not unless you find someone in the business and then you need to do your homework on them.... Opinions vary and that's mine.... My life depends on that decision and I'm ok with buying new!

JW

There's one around here that typically has three dozen ads on craigslist.

All slightly differently worded and none with specific pricing for specific used models- just "form $x,***.xx" with very few details.

I might contact them if they weren't so annoying.

Last edited:
IF they look to be in good condition go for it. I just bought and restored a 1990 Rotary SPOA98 2 post assymetrical hoist. Had it sand blasted, then I painted it. All new stickers, new slides, new cables, rebuilt the cylinders, new lock complements. Pump was new last year. All in I have about 2000 into a hoist that new would cost me close to 8 or 9k.

IMG_20230115_172250662.jpg

I wish they were closer I would buy them all . Your stealing them at that price. Anything that could be worn would be and easy fix while tore down. Operate them while they are still standing. Take measurements on the floor and make drawings for reinstalling them.

-
Back