Cable/Net bill came today - $29.00 higher ... Maybe i just don't get it?

-

OldmanRick

Reaction score
Time Warner... $176.60 :banghead:

I have Basic TV + the 1st upgrade...so I can get some cable channels. With a standard box.
And 20 Megs of internet with a wireless modem.

Last yrs. billing, $147.68 ... Now this $176 crap! I have a few tree's, but the one's on the surrounding property make it impossible to do Sat.

I've been selling 1/2 the stuff I own just to make the "important" bills, but going off the grid sure looks like a reasonable choice at this point.

Sorry for the rant. :)

I don't know how much enjoyment you get out of TV, Rick, but I ditched it 2 years ago to cut my expenses, and haven't missed it. I detest Comcast but I have them for internet only, $54 for high-speed including the wireless modem/router rental.

You do have to be careful making changes in your service, because in the fine print, if you make any changes, you lose any "specials" you have.

I know what you mean, it seems they costantly raise rates. You are a little higher than our cox cable in Phoenix, but not by much. The only place I could see you maybe save a few bucks is if you buy your own cable modem - our cable company allows that. You typically buy one for about 60 or so.

Looks like that's working out for you good David. I may be able to go there myself, although I'd miss Discovery, History, HGTV, DIY, and Fox News/Business, etc,

I don't know how Linda would do without Lifetime, Hallmark & some of the Food channels?

I built/experimented with antenna's from my teens up thru my 30's with some great success, mainly with radio, but.....I might just look into that and get the networks free for now...

If I do that, I'm sure the "special offers" will eventually start flowing back in...:D.

The only place I could see you maybe save a few bucks is if you buy your own cable modem - our cable company allows that. You typically buy one for about 60 or so.

Thanks Scott! That's a good idea. I think I'm allowed to do that also. Something for me to look into.

We've had cable when we lived in Macon and both doosh network and defunct tv satellite tv out here in the country. Had over 200 channels at one point. With that many channels, something good should always be on. Hardly ever was. Been without satellite now almost ten years. Have a little antenna stickin up off the roof and get it free. Best decision I ever made.

We keep it on MeTv near bout 24 hours a day. If we want to watch a movie, we have over 600 DVDs to choose from. Raidin the 5 dollar bin at wally world and yard sales you can find stuff on the cheap.

We have WOW cable up here to compete with Comcast. They have a special for "new recruits" where you can get 15 MBPS for $20 / month for the first year...

But they aren't in every location.

If you get a friend to sign up, you and the friend get a rebate also...

call them up to cancel it and they do not want to cancel anyone so they might offer to lower or give a promotional rate. If they don't, cancel it and wait for a promotion.

That is what my mom does for her and my dad's service and it works and she has not had to cancel it for real even once. They raise the bill because they can but if someone calls them on it, its suddenly negotiable.

Myself, this is the precise reason I don't have cable but only a DVD player and as Mr. Rob said .....raid the 3 and 5 dollar bins at Wal-Mart or entertain-mart.

We have WOW cable up here to compete with Comcast. They have a special for "new recruits" where you can get 15 MBPS for $20 / month for the first year...

That's like the satellite companies. They all offer big promos to suck you in, then once you're a customer, screw you and the horse you rode in on. I was a doosh network customer many years and kept trying to get some sort of even temporary discount or promo. They never listened. I finally got fed up with that and the fact nothing was on much and called up and told them to cancel. They offered me a free YEAR to stay. But it was too late. My mind was made up. They kept sending me all kinda promos for more than a year after I disconnected. Screw them people.

Have a little antenna stickin up off the roof and get it free. Best decision I ever made.

We keep it on MeTv near bout 24 hours a day. If we want to watch a movie, we have over 600 DVDs to choose from. Raidin the 5 dollar bin at wally world and yard sales you can find stuff on the cheap.

I like it ^^^ :thumbrig: . I think i'll try and talk Mama into it. I know she doesn't like dumping "bags" of cash into this garbage available to us now.

OMR ... we pay about the same. I once told my wife she has to get rid of some of the channels we never watch so she called up the cable company and cancelled speed. history channel, fox sports, tsn 1 and 2 , turner classics, aux, cmt but she did leave w, the fashion channel. abc, cbs, nbc,cbc and any other channel that got criminal minds 24 -7 .. haha. So I said never mind we'll keep all the channels and pay the price

The only completion we have now is AT&T. Not sure how their TV works, but the net they offer is in the dial up range, and I believe they throttle "big" usage even worse then some of the others? I used to get my net from a Sprint plug in, man they throttled the usage big time. I had bills in the 250/300 range with those ba$tards. Yep it was mobile, but are you friggin kidding me. :)

We've had cable when we lived in Macon and both doosh network and defunct tv satellite tv out here in the country. Had over 200 channels at one point. With that many channels, something good should always be on. Hardly ever was. Been without satellite now almost ten years. Have a little antenna stickin up off the roof and get it free. Best decision I ever made.

Already do the W.W CD gig. Are you needing a Digital conversion box, on that TV?

OMR ... we pay about the same. I once told my wife she has to get rid of some of the channels we never watch so she called up the cable company and cancelled speed. history channel, fox sports, tsn 1 and 2 , turner classics, aux, cmt but she did leave w, the fashion channel. abc, cbs, nbc,cbc and any other channel that got criminal minds 24 -7 .. haha. So I said never mind we'll keep all the channels and pay the price

LOL! That's kinda where I'm at right now. :)

I like it ^^^ :thumbrig: . I think i'll try and talk Mama into it. I know she doesn't like dumping "bags" of cash into this garbage available to us now.

That's $2112.00 a year you could be putting into Mopars. That's a lot of jack for tv.

That's $2112.00 a year you could be putting into Mopars. That's a lot of jack for tv.

I'm going to make her read this post Rob! That figure should make her eyes gloss over :). As far as putting it towards a Mopar...Well, that's a whole nother issue. :D

Same crap down here with Verizon Fios, I call and ***** and they get it down to $120 a mth. Then before ya know it the craps back up to $180....Time to call again.

*And like Rusty said, all them damn channels and ya still can't find crap to watch, lotta MeTv here too and seems like all the Ol' Lady watches is Perry Mason and Night Gallery.

I love Perry Mason. Baddest assed show ever. Love the Night Gallery too. CHiPs, all of them. There's nothing on that channel that you cannot sit down with the whole family and watch. Beats the hell out of anything anywhere on TV today. Brings back a lot of good memories, too. And every now and then, I catch myself pretending it is 1972 all over again.

I love Perry Mason. Baddest assed show ever. Love the Night Gallery too. CHiPs, all of them. There's nothing on that channel that you cannot sit down with the whole family and watch. Beats the hell out of anything anywhere on TV today. Brings back a lot of good memories, too. And every now and then, I catch myself pretending it is 1972 all over again.

Agreed,like older TV better. Lately, reruns of MASH on YouTube.

Soon as my contract expires, I'm cancelling mine. $140 a month, and I don't watch $14 worth. A good antennae around here will get several channels, and I may check into Netflix.

The only completion we have now is AT&T. Not sure how their TV works, but the net they offer is in the dial up range, and I believe they throttle "big" usage even worse then some of the others? I used to get my net from a Sprint plug in, man they throttled the usage big time. I had bills in the 250/300 range with those ba$tards. Yep it was mobile, but are you friggin kidding me. :)

I had at&t. they suck.

Don't get me started, it will take too long to post.

Let's just say that they never could perform to the speed that they promised, then cut my speed in half, and then still couldn't keep it performing. Literally 20 repairmen in 6 months and they still couldn't get it right, even after running a new cable from my house to two poles over....

After cancelling, the one employee lets me in that they have a software problem in their routers that hasn't been fixed for years....

Just to make a loooong story short....

AT&T SUCKS!

we live out in the sticks. internet service off phone company dial up sucks!! sooo slow and bad! yes the sat co are blood sucking egg suckers! we get the basic sat package, and high speed internet, costs $111 a month. like RRR said, we get what? 60 chanels with the basic package and not too much on there really.

if I could get decent internet with the phone co. I would just do that do I can't. and use the old antenna!!!!

sat. movie channels!?? Ha.. rerun them all over and over, and not 1 out of 50 I would watch anyway!! LOL

we live out in the sticks. internet service off phone company dial up sucks!! sooo slow and bad! yes the sat co are blood sucking egg suckers! we get the basic sat package, and high speed internet, costs $111 a month. like RRR said, we get what? 60 chanels with the basic package and not too much on there really.

if I could get decent internet with the phone co. I would just do that do I can't. and use the old antenna!!!!

sat. movie channels!?? Ha.. rerun them all over and over, and not 1 out of 50 I would watch anyway!! LOL

we have direct tv sat., wifee switched back and forth to dish 3-4 times when they kept raising the bills. they still try to raise them every year. their going to raise them too far one of these days, and they can stick it! that being said, I know an engineer that made his own set up and gets sat. programing w/o paying for it. he won`t do it for anyone else because it`s supposed to be illegal. but, I guess it can be done if a person is smart enough, which I ain`t ! :coffee2:

-
Back