Calling all laptop computer techs

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Looks like Aaron's two-year old HP Pavilion he got for college has already crapped out. The HP support line tech had him go through a couple of phone diagnostic checks and seems to think the motherboard is done for. Aaron's cousin has gone through two motherboards on his same-model laptop. What's up with HP? I always thought highly of their products. We spent this weekend comparison shopping for another laptop.

Are any of you trained in computer repair? I would like some knowledgable insight into pros and cons about various laptop manufacturers and specific models. We can discuss this here for everyone's benefit, or take of off-line to a PM or phone call.

Thanks for any input,
Jerry

ABodyBetty's hp pav has done the same thing but also may be graphics card. This was after the internal moble card burned up. Our computer guy said thay go out after 12 - 24 months, overheat and burn up. Just out of warranty! New mother board $500+
HP RIP OFFS!!
Good Luck!

I am a Microsoft Certified System Engineer and have found that toshiba has very good quality stuff. It has never let me down and it can do everything i need it to do. i run the AMD 64 Athlon X2 processor with 3 GB of ram. Is the machine starting up at all, or does it start but you are unable to see any thing? Were you using a surge protector? To prtect against heat it is always good to use a cooling blanket!

...AMD 64 Athlon X2 processor...
Can you give pros and cons for this processor vs. the Intel Core 2 Duo that we are seeing in a lot of the laptops?

Is the machine starting up at all, or does it start but you are unable to see any thing?
It has blue indicator lights that all come on, but the screen remains totally black.

Were you using a surge protector?
Don't think so.

google the DELL Outlet center and see what you see there. Prices range from <$300.00 to over $500.00 some are refurbished some are new returns I have bought 4 of these unit in the last 5 years all are still going strong.

New mother board $500+
That's why we are looking for another laptop. This one cost about $1400 just two years ago. Now, the available models are running about $700-$1,000 with more RAM, more HD capacity, better graphics cards, etc.

I hate to say it, but it's starting to look like computers are being made to be disposable after a couple of years use. It's cheaper to buy a new one than to fix the broken one.

Alright - as to my credentials, 5 years in a Technical Support role at the University of California, Davis.

That said, there are ONLY two laptop manufacturers that I like or would trust. Number one is Dell, number two, unsurprisingly, is Apple. Here's why:

Apple is a great user-friendly item. If you just want the internet, word processing, music, (some) games, email, and photo manipulation, Apple is very hard to be beat. Some people ask me, "Brian, why do you own a Macbook at home? Isn't a Dell better?" Let me tell you that when I come home from a long hard day of fixing computers, the last thing I want to do is sit down and fix computers. I want the power button to work, I want the browser to fire up, and I want it to do its own thing and let me vegitate. That said, these are by no means bulletproof. And if the **** hits the fan with them, you're going to have a lot of out-of-pocket expense. That is, unless you purchase AppleCare (3 years is $349 I believe). Their customer service is top-notch, but without AppleCare, you're going to pay through the nose for repairs.

The other manufacturer I would trust is Dell. Dell computers, while not necessarily the most option-packed and reliable computers, are good for a computer user that requires Windows for certain software (such as AutoCAD and some games), wants something less expensive, and will often leave it around with little regard to the computer's safety (putting it near open glasses that could topple, leaving it on the ground, etc). Dell's repair costs are significantly cheaper, and can often be replaced by good used parts or parts purchased from online warehouse sites like newegg.com. I have heard conflicting things about their customer support. I deal with them on average once a week, and I never have had problems. However, I work with the Higher Education Customer Support Department, so I might have a significantly easier time dealing with issues. From what I hear about personal customer support, they patch you to India pretty quickly. But the other good thing is there's a lot of documentation online, as well as an online live support chat, so you don't even have to speak to someone on the phone. So then you're probably wondering why I don't own a Dell at home; why do I own a Mac? Dells, Windows, and PCs in general require a lot more attention. Have to make sure the registry's not effed up, have to make sure your virus scan is up-to-date. This isn't to say the Mac never gets viruses, it can, but it requires a lot less attention in general.

I once was told by a previous supervisor, "If you want to blog, get a Mac. If you want to work, get a PC." And at work, I have a Dell PC. And it does what I want, when I want. But again, it requires a bit more attention.

Now you're probably wondering about the other manufacturers - HP, Gateway, Compaq, Lenovo. All garbage. Well, not in the hardware sense, but still. Since Microsoft and Dell are like two peas in a pod, Microsoft tailors their updates to Dell systems. They make sure it works with Dell drivers and Dell hardware. For other manufacturers, it's a gamble. Recently, a single Windows Update, which I've narrowed down to the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706), caused a customer's entire laptop (Lenovo) to never fully start Windows up. It would go into a blue screen and restart itself, starting the cycle over. For what it's worth, the same update came to one of my Dells that I administrate, and there was no issue.

So in summary, I only trust Apple or Dell. I use both, for entirely different purposes, but they are both really good machines. No matter which way you go, however, my advice is to BUY A GOOD WARRANTY! You'll thank me in two years when you're getting your video card or memory or hard drive replaced for free. Hope this helps.

google the DELL Outlet center and see what you see there. Prices range from <$300.00 to over $500.00 some are refurbished some are new returns I have bought 4 of these unit in the last 5 years all are still going strong.

At that price, it might be worth it. If I'm going to have to throw away a computer every two years, it would be better to lose $500 than $1400.

I'm a little concerned about Dell. I have heard some horror stories about poor service. They are only an hour south of me here in Texas, I guess I could take it to them if I had problems. :boxing:

My sons Tosiba took a crap at 1 1/2 years old. He can hook it up to an external monitor and still use it but the motherboard is toast as far a display is concerned. He looked into fixing it, but for $600 in parts was better for him to buy a new one and sell his old one for parts @ $500. He purchased a Lenovo Think Pad SL500 and so far so good. Tech support is US based so if he needs it maybe it'll be better.???

So in summary, I only trust Apple or Dell... Hope this helps.
Very good and detailed rationale for your choices. You confirmed what I have heard about Dell's support. You also, unfortunately, confirmed what Aaron has learned about Apple. They are very stable, but limited in use for his mechanical engineering degree - he uses AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc.

I appreciate all of the input you guys are providing,
Jerry

I should also mention that AutoCAD can work on an Apple with an intel x86 platform that runs either a dual-boot Windows OS or runs Windows through Parallels or VMWare. The issue is, that adds another $400 to the cost of the Apple. If you are a mech. engineer, get a Windows machine!

Forgot to mention the DELL outlet laptops come with free one year warranty which is renewable.

Earlier my other half mentioned my HP crapped out after only a year in a half. I just wrote a email to the CEO of HP. I don't know what it will matter but I let them know it was wrong that computers can't last longer. I work hard for my money and it hurts to know I have to save for months and months to get another one. I have to get a knew one by September so I can continue my online classes. My work requires me to take classes and without a computer well I don't know what they will say. Good luck computer shopping. I have already been looking and researching for new ones.

Earlier my other half mentioned my HP crapped out after only a year in a half. I just wrote a email to the CEO of HP. I don't know what it will matter but I let them know it was wrong that computers can't last longer. I work hard for my money and it hurts to know I have to save for months and months to get another one. I have to get a knew one by September so I can continue my online classes. My work requires me to take classes and without a computer well I don't know what they will say. Good luck computer shopping. I have already been looking and researching for new ones.

what are your requirements? A Dell Inspiron Mini will probably get you through. They start at $299.

Heat is the killer of most laptops as the won't stand running for long extended periods of time use a cooling mat will save the laptop instead of having to go to a desktop computer! '74 Sport the two processors are pretty compatable but i dont think thats where your problem lies. Plug an external monitor into the laptop to see if you regain graphics and be able to troubleshoot it further. A person at a call center help line running a few scripted tests wont fix this problem, you want on onsite tech. Stay away from dell i have seen many go in a year and when talking to their warrenty people when i dealt with that stuff, that replacement warranty parts were not gauranteed to be new parts. Not the service i would want for my money!

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop and am very pleased with it and their Customer Support. Mine is 3 years old or so and I have talked to them a couple of times with great results.

I was told early on to prop the rear of the laptop up on something to allow better air flow and cooling.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up buying.

This is gonna sound kinda crazy, but sometimes if you have a major issue like this, it's due to poor quality of soldering holding the board together. You can try dismantling it, remove all the cables, then put the motherboard on a cookie sheet and pop it in the oven to try and reflow the solder and MAYBE bring it back to life. Just a thought. I've heard of people doing this with video cards, and even the Xbox 360.

I for one own a Dell. My desktop has worked great since 2002. My new laptop I bought in October had some problems, but I did pay for a 2 year warranty on hardware. They tried multiple times over the phone to fix it, but then decided that sending a tech out to fix it was the best solution. THe guy came out, and 45 minutes later, I had a perfectly running laptop. Yes, they were refurbished parts, but think about it,.....

My motherboard may have had a glitch, but if only a portion is bad they will carefully diagnose it, fix it and package it for another person. Brand new obviously is not better. I look at it that you get a more careful lookover by a tech on a refurbished part, and they may find little things that the mass production didn't do just right.

Either way, the tech support was great and I am happy that I paid for that warranty. It came with a year and I opted for a year beyond that.

Update: Talked to them on phone and they offered to fix our computer for approx $250 + tax & they send the shipping box. I'm voting to buy a new one they only garantee repair for 90 days (probibly load with a self destruct code) that would mean we are renting our old computer for $100.00 a month them BLAM!
NEW COMPUTER! Not HP!
By the way I wanted to mention how condesending the customer service rep was when she told me a dozen time that electronic equipment malfunctions periodically. (me, ex USAF Avionics)
Proceded to explain to her how the hp designers went too small on the cooling fan, intake vents, exhaust vents, and hadn't considered the extra heat from the battery being too close to the motherboard! She asked How I could think I knew more about it than Hp does.
I may not but know enough to tell you to stick it up her laptop!!:bootysha:

UPDATE:
We ended up buying another HP, but this time, we got a four year extended warranty. I hope we don't have to test how well the warranty works out, but we have it just in case.

Aaron got the HP Pavillion 2170 with 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, and 17.3" monitor. Per your suggestions, we also bought a cooling pad for it to sit on.

I spoke to a buddy yesterday that said he has a guy that fixes his laptops "really cheap". Our school district's IT manager said a motherboard for this dead laptop should cost about $100. So, maybe I'll be able to get this old dog up and running again with not much investment and keep it for myself - I really need a faster one than the old Compaq desktop I currently use.

We'll let you know how this new HP holds up. Thanks for all the input.

Jerry

my 700 dollar toshiba is on its 4th year without a hitch except for the occassional trojan

My son and I both have HP laptops - he has the Pav DV6700 series and I have the HDX 16. I've been really happy with both, and I did get the extended warranty on both machines. I also have an older Dell 1100, the laptop known as the leg burner, so I was concerned about heat issues. the DV only seems to run a little hot when he's playing graphic intense games, and my HDX seems well vented and hasn't given me any issues.

As for my old Dell with the bad rep for overheating, when I first got it (used) I cleaned the fan and vents, then flashed the bios with an update that corrected the fan settings, and installed a program that let me set the fan controls manually. It still runs great, and although it does run hotter than our HP's, I've never had any overheating issues with it.

Both of us and my wife use vented stands I bought from Staples and the vented design really seems to help the airflow. I will add that the Acer mini notebook my wife has really impressed me for what it is. Other than the small size and lack of CD/DVD it really performs great, and for what she uses it for, the $249 I paid for it was money well spent.

-
Back