Cam identification help

-

HotrodColt

Reaction score
I have an unknown cam that I pulled from a heavily modified 440. No part numbers that I have found. It has purple paint on it, measuring the base circle is 1.150 and heel to nose is 1.530. So if I’m doing the math correctly the lift is 1.530-1.150=.38*1.5=.57

I can not find any cams that are .570 lift. Does anyone have any information on a cam like this?

No expert here but they do have a 590 lift purple camshaft. So if your measurement is off or maybe the cam is worn by .01 you are damned near 590

No expert here but they do have a 590 lift purple camshaft. So if your measurement is off or maybe the cam is worn by .01 you are damned near 590
I had considered that, I will look at it more carefully tonight and measure all of the lines and make sure they all match each other as well, but so far the first 4 and last 4 all have the same measurements, only varying by about .001-.002

I'd bet it's a .590 purple shaft.

The 590 I had in my 440, with max wedge rockers (after lash) only moved the valves .525.
I'd also bet your base circle measurement has a little ramp in it.
I can look for numbers, and measure my .590 if it helps.

I'd bet it's a .590 purple shaft.

The 590 I had in my 440, with max wedge rockers (after lash) only moved the valves .525.
I'd also bet your base circle measurement has a little ramp in it.
I can look for numbers, and measure my .590 if it helps.
That would be awesome if you get the chance to measure yours up! I was wondering the same thing if the ramp started sooner affecting the measurement I was taking. I’m going to be running some Crane 64-150 roller rockers on it. Would this cam need any special work done to the heads? The heads that came off the engine were 906s with bigger valves…however this engine was tossed into a field and had moss growing in the intake ports so the valve seats are trashed, trying to salvage whatever I can from this engine and get my other 440 running again. Thanks for everything!!

My .590 shows a very faint small number on the back of the rear cam journal, #911973. It's a 3 bolt cam, has purple paint, a few foundry marks.....and 1.537 over the nose, and a 1.151 base circle.
I was just about to give up looking for it, I thought I knew exactly where it was, and it wasn't. Last time I looked for it, I couldn't find it either, and I bought, and installed a .557.
And of course two weeks later, looking for something else, I found the .590. Oh well.
Found it a little bit easier this time.

You'd just have to make sure your valve springs are up to the job, enough pressure and coil bind clearance, and no retainer to valve guide or valve seal interference.
And some roller rockers have geometry problems. I used stock maxwedge ductile iron paddle rockers on my .590 (and the .557). I did use crane rollers on my roller cam motor.
The only source for new ductile iron rockers I know of.... is 440 source.

Last edited:
Yup. .590 and that's a goodun too.

Remember this, too. You don't know WHERE Chrysler is measuring from. Hell, nobody does. lol They were super proprietary about their camshafts. For instance, they "SAID" they used .850 to figure duration at .050" instead of the .750 industry standard. But when you throw that figure into the formula, it doesn't work. On ANY of their cams. LOL The best way to do it is V block measure it. You'll probably come close to or get the same thing though. It's the .590. I'd bank on it.

My .590 shows a very faint small number on the back of the rear cam journal, #911973. It's a 3 bolt cam, has purple paint, a few foundry marks.....and 1.537 over the nose, and a 1.151 base circle.
I was just about to give up looking for it, I thought I knew exactly where it was, and it wasn't. Last time I looked for it, I couldn't find it either, and I bought, and installed a .557.
And of course two weeks later, looking for something else, I found the .590. Oh well.
Found it a little bit easier this time.
I appreciate this info! Thank you very much! Those are about the same measurements as I was getting, just rounded it figuring that my cheap calipers were not accurate.

I checked the back of the rear cam bearing journal again and found the number 230506, also has an orange paint line across the back

-
Back