Cam Phasing

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the off-set woodruff key for the camshaft itself an acceptable way to adjust the phasing? I have a good older chain and gears. I have read the typical horror stories of the new stuff. The damned keys start a $30. Another $100 plus gets me an adjustable crank sprocket and new chain and gears. I'd like to stick with my old stuff. I need to advance 4 degrees and ebay has the key to do it.
Edit: ebay

Last edited:
Is the off-set woodruff key for the camshaft itself an acceptable way to adjust the phasing? I have a good older chain and gears. I have read the typical horror stories of the new stuff. The damned keys start a $30. Another $100 plus gets me an adjustable crank sprocket and new chain and gears. I'd like to stick with my old stuff. I need to advance 4 degrees and Summit has the key to do it.
They have the key to do it IF the set you have now is machined correctly. Here's how it works. If a timing set is machined DEAD ON when you install the timing set dot to dot, it would be in correctly. Modern cams are ground with the advance already in the cam. The whole reason for degreeing is to make up the difference in tolerance stacking. No one machines exactly the same. We're talking minute measurements here......degrees. Half a degree off with the camshaft......another half with the cam sprocket and another half with the crank sprocket.....and yet another with where the crankshaft keyway is. And here's the kicker. All those "half degree" amounts I mentioned.......you would be DANG LUCKY if that's all it was out. I've seen one I built years ago that wheeled in at 12 degrees retarded set dot to dot. We never wouldda known had we not put the wheel on it. So put the wheel on it.

Is the off-set woodruff key for the camshaft itself an acceptable way to adjust the phasing? I have a good older chain and gears. I have read the typical horror stories of the new stuff. The damned keys start a $30. Another $100 plus gets me an adjustable crank sprocket and new chain and gears. I'd like to stick with my old stuff. I need to advance 4 degrees and ebay has the key to do it.
Edit: ebay
That's how the old MP manuals said to do it, if memory serves. And as RRR mentioned, degree first, then order your key.

Reground cam. 112-degree separation is spot on at straight up but card says install @ 108. so I need to advance it 4-degrees... right?

Just called Bullet Racing cams. They say either way will work. Think ill just buy the key. And ya I need to advance it. Thanks for the replies folks.

Just called Bullet Racing cams. They say either way will work. Think ill just buy the key. And ya I need to advance it. Thanks for the replies folks.
Without a degree wheel, you have no clue where it's installed.

Bodyman never said he didn’t degree it . Just asking if offset keyway would work . That’s the way most people did it back in the day . Actually less confusing than the fancy chain sets .

Bodyman never said he didn’t degree it . Just asking if offset keyway would work . That’s the way most people did it back in the day . Actually less confusing than the fancy chain sets .
Ya, I was and still am a little worried about the dependability of doing it that way but I guess that's what the bolt is for.

I have a wheel and dial indicator. How is it that I knew the lobe separation was spot on dot to dot. Bullet was awesome.
The lobe separation is ground into the cam and cannot be changed. You clearly have no idea about how to degree a camshaft. We're trying really hard to tell you. You need to listen.

I understand, but neither has he said he did degree it. We're just trying to help make sure he gets it right.

Ive never trusted the offset keyways. The section width right at the corner where they offset the key gets fairly thin and shear strength has to suffer. Not to mention stress risers from the corners themselves. But, I do know it’s been done that way for years and years. Ive used the double roller billet set from summit and been very happy with them, lots of adjustment and they’re only $100.

Summit Racing SUM-G6603R-B Summit Racing™ Billet Steel Timing Sets | Summit Racing

Reground cam. 112-degree separation is spot on at straight up but card says install @ 108. so I need to advance it 4-degrees... right?
The LSA will read the same on every one of the 360 degrees on the wheel since it is a ground in angle and cannot be changed without re-grinding the camshaft. Good luck with it.

You are not checking lobe separation when you degree the cam. You are verifying the position of the cam relative to the crank by using intake centerline.

Ive never trusted the offset keyways. The section width right at the corner where they offset the key gets fairly thin and shear strength has to suffer. Not to mention stress risers from the corners themselves. But, I do know it’s been done that way for years and years. Ive used the double roller billet set from summit and been very happy with them, lots of adjustment and they’re only $100.

Summit Racing SUM-G6603R-B Summit Racing™ Billet Steel Timing Sets | Summit Racing
Have you sheared one off ? Or known someone that has?
He has a mild motor. It will work fine .
And I don’t think someone has to be an expert on cam technology to degree a cam . Sounds like he has got it handled. This is in reference to his use of (lobe separation).

You are not checking lobe separation when you degree the cam. You are verifying the position of the cam relative to the crank by using intake centerline.
Okay. The cam is centered with the crank according to the 12 degree lobe separation at dot to dot and needs to be advance 4 degrees. Does that wording work better for ya?

Have you sheared one off ? Or known someone that has?
He has a mild motor. It will work fine .
And I don’t think someone has to be an expert on cam technology to degree a cam . Sounds like he has got it handled. This is in reference to his use of (lobe separation).
I have not. Like I said I just don’t trust them after looking at them. The size of the cross section of an offset key is very small and even stock valve springs, distributors, and standard volume oil pumps put a good amount of force on that key. I was trying to be helpful.
His terminology using lobe sep was wrong that’s all I was saying.

-
Back