Cam plug leaking. Removal and replacement?

-
Something's off on the head gasket sealing area above (interior of engine) the bore. You were blowing on, and close to the other 3 unless the picture just makes things look funny. So either the bolts weren't torqued right or they bottom out, or the heads or block are not as flat as they should be. I would have the heads and block decks checked with a machinist's level, and make sure the holes are tapped clean, and the bolts don't bottom out.

Something's off on the head gasket sealing area above (interior of engine) the bore. You were blowing on, and close to the other 3 unless the picture just makes things look funny. So either the bolts weren't torqued right or they bottom out, or the heads or block are not as flat as they should be. I would have the heads and block decks checked with a machinist's level, and make sure the holes are tapped clean, and the bolts don't bottom out.

I'll try to get better pics of the heads, decks and gaskets today or tomorrow.
I had oil and coolant dribbling everywhere. Hopefully that's some of what you are seeing.
I don't think the bolts were torqued evenly to spec.

Now I gotta find a good local machine shop...joy! Supposed to send the heads out today for porting...

The gaskets look to have signs of combustion pressure discoloration. Like the fire ring wasn't doing it's job. Kinda makes sense because the head gaskets used are wrong too. You need to use the Felpro Performance 1008s. they have a pre-flattened fire ring that will seal properly on the aluminum head, and won't brinnel the head over time. The block and heads will show signs of movement at the fire ring. Never mind oil or coolant.

Edit - going back - that might be the 1008s... Hard for me to tell but the gasket wil have it stamped into it on one side.

Measure the diameter of the head gasket fire ring, especially on cylinder #2 and you'll see what I think I see, the "fire ring" is distorted and "pushed" out of shape. "Egg" shaped some what.

Last edited:
They are Felpro 1008.
I was gonna switch to mr gasket 1121g's...now I'm not so sure.

Tried to get some better pics of both sides of head gaskets and the bores.

20180209_170730.jpg

20180209_170943.jpg

20180209_170743.jpg

20180209_170756.jpg

20180209_170806.jpg

#2 cylinder...does look a little egged out at the top of the bore ( bottom in pic). I never re-torqued the heads. Could be my own damn fault. I'll get some calipers on it tomorrow, I gotta get up at 2am.

Assuming the heads and deck check out, I wanted to use the 1121g's to bump compression up from 10.1:1....
Think it's worth doing? or should I just go with another set of 1008's?

20180209_174010.jpg

Last edited:
A sealer, Usually Silicone, that sets properly, in the absence of room, or any air, induced....
I did t suggest but asked what anerobic is or what anerobic sealer (brand) should be used. What’s the shelf name.

I did not suggest it.

I did t suggest but asked what anerobic is or what anerobic sealer (brand) should be used. What’s the shelf name.

I did not suggest it.

Permetex makes it. Can buy it most anywhere. Parts stores, etc.
If people had experience with it, they would find out how well it works

Have you got that cam plug out yet? Partly it leaked is because the hole drilled thru the rear cam journal was rubbing right on that installed backwards plug and the pressured oil had to find a way out. Once it's removed, do test the "end play" of the cam, because the "thrust plate", at the front, has been likely subject to an abnormal load.
100_1489.JPG

Have you got that cam plug out yet? Partly it leaked is because the hole drilled thru the rear cam journal was rubbing right on that installed backwards plug and the pressured oil had to find a way out. Once it's removed, do test the "end play" of the cam, because the "thrust plate", at the front, has been likely subject to an abnormal load.View attachment 1715140465

I'll give it a shot when I get home from work. Thanks for the info!

Got it out easily enough. Lifters are all out. Grabbing a lobe, I cant feel any movement in the cam at all, or see any evidence on the cam of the plug rubbing against it. No damage to the block, either.

20180210_142341.jpg

Shipping the heads and Airgap out to Larry Smith tomorrow for porting.

Pics and info from another set he did. Been looking to do this for several years. Getting excited!

Eldebrock sb rpm
In lift. Ex lift
2 156. 114
3 213. 152
4 258. 185
5 285. 209
6 316. 216

FB_IMG_1518385207533.jpg

FB_IMG_1518385215694.jpg

FB_IMG_1518385222758.jpg

FB_IMG_1518385231095.jpg

FB_IMG_1518385237395.jpg

FB_IMG_1518385249244.jpg

I put some more thought into your cam plug business. Not only is it in backwards But it's still wrong. Your block is a '72 so it takes the concave cup style plug like what Toolmanmike posted earlier. The "step" where this plug goes on the earlier engine is .225 inch, the later engine the step is .385 inch. Concave cup size is 1.875 inch.

I put some more thought into your cam plug business. Not only is it in backwards But it's still wrong. Your block is a '72 so it takes the concave cup style plug like what Toolmanmike posted earlier. The "step" where this plug goes on the earlier engine is .225 inch, the later engine the step is .385 inch. Concave cup size is 1.875 inch.

Thanks for the heads up Max1196!
SGBARRACUDA was so kind to send me one, I got it today, but left it in the car and will have to see which one it is in a little bit.
Roy, pm me your email so I can reimburse you.
So if it's the new style I still need to find the correct one, no biggie. What a nice gesture, though.

Got the heads and intake shipped out today. $120 for shipping Fedex, TX to NC, insured for $1800. Local UPS store wanted $160 for a single 85lb box and over $200 for three separate boxes...WTF?

So....does anyone have a pert number for the 72 style that would be available from JEGS?

I hope some one can give you a JEGS # , in post #43 I gave the size. Tomorrow I'll check the part # that comes in the "bulk pack kit".

Thanks for the heads up Max1196!
SGBARRACUDA was so kind to send me one, I got it today, but left it in the car and will have to see which one it is in a little bit.
Roy, pm me your email so I can reimburse you.
So if it's the new style I still need to find the correct one, no biggie. What a nice gesture, though.

Got the heads and intake shipped out today. $120 for shipping Fedex, TX to NC, insured for $1800. Local UPS store wanted $160 for a single 85lb box and over $200 for three separate boxes...WTF?
No worries, you don't owe me a thing. Enjoy

Shipping the heads and Airgap out to Larry Smith tomorrow for porting.

Pics and info from another set he did. Been looking to do this for several years. Getting excited!

Eldebrock sb rpm
In lift. Ex lift
2 156. 114
3 213. 152
4 258. 185
5 285. 209
6 316. 216

View attachment 1715140941

View attachment 1715140942

View attachment 1715140943

View attachment 1715140944

View attachment 1715140945

View attachment 1715140946

That 316@ .600 number seems extremely “optimistic” to me. I have heard of Larry Smith, but never that kind of number.... or even close. Is he tubing the pushrod holes?

-
Back