can a bellhousing be welded? (aluminum)

-

discharger1332

Reaction score
i just recieved a bellhousing that i purchased from a member here. apon inspection there is a crack on the engine side that curves about 5 inches or so. i was wanting to know if it can be fixed, before i send it back, i know the aluminum can be welded i guess my question is if it will ever fit properly again?

Attachments

• IMG-20130211-00245.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG-20130211-00246.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG-20130211-00247.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 287
I see no reason why not. But you would have to be careful that nothing moves during the welding process our you could be in for big problems with alligning it with the block and other internal parts. Make sure whoever does it is trained in welding aluminum and that it is tig welded for strength.

It can be repaired. I have a guy that welds broken ears and cases on trannys and transfer cases all the time. He even welded my pontoon boat.

Yes it can but it can be a little difficult being that it's cast. (May want to crack in areas next to where you welded it. Make sure that whoever does it has it bolted in place, bevel at least half the material thickness and weld the outside first. That way if you have to have it unbolted to weld the inside, it's already in its natural place.
Pretty sure you have to put some heat into it before welding as well. A good machine/engine shop should be able to do it.

Bevel the crack like this. You can use a grinder with an 1/8" disc. It doesn't have to be perfect. Not sure how thick the housing is but go half way into the material on each side to maximize the amount of weld penetration for the strongest fix.

Attachments

• 190223.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 239
Looks like it's in a bad spot right where the starter bolts up. It can be tig welded but I think it will crack again. These parts are getting old 40 50 years so might look for another.

-
Back