Can I cut the torsion bars and put the car down?

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I want to rebuild the cross member for the 545RFE and set it up for the exhaust. can I get rid of the torsion bars and put it back down on the ground later. I know I cant drive it this way but will it hurt anything in the mean time to get rid of them?
Andrew

You mean set the car down on the floor without the bars in?
Of set up the car without the bars?

The car will rest on the floor without the bars. They are the springs on which the car sits on. No bars, car on floor.

Yes, the car will sit on the bumpstops. But they are attached to the K so if you are rebuilding the suspension, you are going to have to keep key parts in there so the hub is attached to something. Sounds like a bad idea, but I really dont know what your doing anyway. Pull the torsion bars and your car will sit pretty low in the front. Lower than a floorjack can get under.

Yes, you can do that, but like said above it will sit pretty low. If you want to be able to get a jack under the car, just put a 2x4 between the frame rails and the LCA bumpers and you'll be fine and still be able to roll the car around.

Maybe you should just start over and ask the REAL question, I.E. what exactly are you trying to do?

I cannot imagine any form of chassis work that would require the torsion bars to be removed, much less "cut" for any length of time.

Yes, you can do that, but like said above it will sit pretty low. If you want to be able to get a jack under the car, just put a 2x4 between the frame rails and the LCA bumpers and you'll be fine and still be able to roll the car around.

^^^^^^^^^
Yep, this is what I did

GEEEEEEE!
I can imagine all sorts of work that need the bars out of the way, if only temporarily. Such as boxing the frame rails, rebuilding the tranny crossmember, getting a tranny under the car that is twice as big as a 727, shall I continue?
As it happens I removed the bars yesterday without cutting anything. Since I will be installing an AlterK they wont be needed for the suspension. My concern was the ability to roll the car around until then.
As it happens it looks like I will not have to eliminate the crossmember attachment points for them in order to have a place to run the exhaust.
Pics to follow and thanks for all the responces
Andrew

-
Back