Can I hit the 11's? low 12's

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Went out to T&T for the first time, I am a total newbie to racing, so figured I would test out the 71 Dart I have been working on. Here is the information on the car. 71 Dart Factory weight, bench front and rear, belts, 440 with 2800 convertor. Motor was dynoed at 425, with all shops hi end HP stuff. I put on a V/S 750, smaller schumacher headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, P/S, water pump, 7 blade fan, has 5/16 factory /6 fuel system, mechanical factory fuel pump, no frame supports, battery in trunk AND track is at 4,000 feet (some say true DA alt is 6,000). Rear end is 8 3/4 with spool and 4:30's, tires are 295/65/15 (big) coming through the traps at 5,200: Tire pressure 30 lbs, Here are results, last run, only change I made was adding a bit of timing.

R/T0.5760.6260.4960.4340.595601.8831.8781.8871.9042.1033305.5595.5265.5535.5325.7391/8'8.6358.6028.638.5748.743MHP79.7279.4479.7480.3482.03100011.29711.27311.29511.21911.3311/4'13.55213.54213.55713.45113.518MPH100.0499.2199.7100.98102.88

So - now I am itching to get back out: What I have done since this is a 1/2 fuel line with 3/8 return, Walbor pump (Had to fix for tech, had too much rubber hose, and issue on top end, was falling down a bit to starvation) Full US CarTool frame connectors, a sump (guy welded it on backwards, but have to use it, no cash to fix at this time) A battery disconnect and Holley 750 Ultra HP DP. Goal is for the high 11's, Low 12's. Any thoughts, suggestions, insider tips, speculations on next times?

This may be better than the binary

Attachments

• 25 Times.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 200
60fts are soft. guessing street tires? Lots of gearing and little stall? sounds like you got your fuel system up to snuff though.

The elevation is killer. Are you wanting to run an high 11/low 12 at 6000 DA?

The changes you made should result in a roughly two tenth reduction and 1.5-2.0 additional MPH. A 104 MPH trap speed is enough HP to run a mid 12 if you have the optimal torque converter, rear gear, and traction. You need to be shooting for mid to high 1.6x 60 foots.

Yes, would like to hit at the DA. Tires are M/T's Drag radials, 30 Lbs is way to high. Suspension is stock /6 front and rear.

You need to lop off about .5 and should be able to find .3 in the first 60 " I bet.
Sub frame connectors will be a huge help there.
S/S leafs and adjustable front shocks ?
Or Caltracs.
The tires will want around 18 psi +- a couple psi I think.
A 295-55 gives you a shorter tire and would help some.
I need to ask.......what kind of man welds a sump on backwards ?
What else did he do .......cut one big opening and cover it with the sump ?
I used a hole saw and made 4 one inch holes so the tank bottom acts a a baffle and should ensure that if there is fuel in that tank , there will be at the pick up.
It will still work.......hell , I am thinking of a catsup bottle ( squeeze type ) , where if the sump is far enough back , you may see some push from the fuel in the tank as you launch due to a surge.
A well thought out fuel supply would be next for me.
Build a solid foundation and don't be afraid of overkill because you will likely be upgrading and looking for more once you start rattling off low 12's.
I don't mean BG 400's ...... but a 140 or so GPH pump with regulator and return will be good well into the tens if you dot the i's and cross the t's.
Once you reach your goal ( you will ) , it will be roll bar / cage time.
Again , keep one eye on the future if it is to be a serious drag car.
If it is too nice to cut up , then mid-high 11's it is.

Tubtar - Well I agree on the backwards part. When I took it to the shop, I laid it all out for the guy, he did drill the holes, etc... When I picked it up, did not even think twice on the location, just made sure he leaked tested, etc. Got it home and WOW - backwards - really! Money was spent, no other venue other than buy a new tank or cell and start over? He did a nice job other than that. Car is not a beauty, but it is solid. Was trying to keep it street driven, wanted the large fuel capacity, back seat and fuel gauge. Went out on the road an put it on a hill and staged with low fuel, no surging was a bit curious on that, but only a small test, track will be provide better results.

As for the fuel system, I did do a 1/2 primary with a 3/8 return, Aeormotive regulator and a Walburo (sp) pump. Was going use it on my 451 fuel injection project, but as with projects they get sold.

So, with that said: CalTracs and race shocks was the next projected thought. I was curious to see what other focused on. And I agree with the tires and the size. I figured for the cost, I need to get the use out these. With the mini-tub and leaf relocation, figured wheels with correct back space, gears, and better tire type and size will come once I get a foundation.

Again was looking for more feedback from people, I am a total newbie, I can do the academic portion, put the work in, but wanted constructive thoughts and insight.

Thanks for the time - Charles

Looking at the incrementals, I think the car is running just fine for what it is. 60' matches up well with ET/mph. I don't see any big gains from what you just added (fuel pump, lines, frame connectors), but they will pay off in the long run with other upgrades. It will probably run very close to the same. You will still be in the mid to low 13's at best.

The last run with the 2.1 60' time (spun off the line I assume) also has a better mph on the top end. This is typical when you spin, you normally get a better mph on the top end.

I'm not a big block guy, so I'm not much help on the specifics to make one go faster....but if you are serious about racing it, I would switch to a double pumper carb with no choke (no air horn like a Proform main body).

It should be a pretty good bracket car, all you need is consistency and it looks relativity consistent as is. Good luck, and have fun.

Sorry, didn't see the CalTrac note....just FYI, if you can hook the car now there is no reason to dump your money into the Caltracs unless you are looking WAY down the road at some future high powered upgrade. Here is my real life example:

My car before had worn out stock springs, CE shocks on all 4 corners set 90/10 in the front and 50/50 in the rear and a pinion snubber. I ran 1.49 60' times with the wheels in the air (driver side wheel about a foot off the ground, passenger side a few inches off the ground)....

I added $1000 worth of Caltracs (the entire set up with mono's, their rear shocks, their front shocks)......and after tuning the car for a year it runs 1.49 60' times :wack:....no change. The only benefit I found was that it is a little more consistent and the car launches more level (both tires off the ground the same a few inches).

Again, this is just my experience with them in a small block car.

My stock rotating assembly 3rd Gen 5.7 Hemi made 426 RWHP 460RWTQ & it put 4300# down the 1320" at 12.06 on a 2800 stal convertor.

You should be able to run a full second faster in an "A" bidy W/similar HP.

EDIT: At +6000 DA you will be lucky to get into the 12s, but you should be hitting 13.0s.

Flyfish: Thanks for the input, what I was looking for, especially on the CalTacks. I did put a DP on (Holley Ultra HP).

Power - Yep, DA is a killer, I would speculate to the rear is no where near the HP you are putting back there. I would speculate at best 325 HP for RWHP for me.

Flyfish: Thanks for the input, what I was looking for, especially on the CalTacks. I did put a DP on (Holley Ultra HP).

Power - Yep, DA is a killer, I would speculate to the rear is no where near the HP you are putting back there. I would speculate at best 325 HP for RWHP for me.

Oh you are talking about crank HP!

The stock 6.1s that are rated @ 425 will put about 360 to the ground.

If you are running those times W/425 crank HP @ +6000' DA you are doing great.

My 12.0 was @ about -1600' DA.

Gotta love those East coast tracks in April!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Sbz2Etl_A"]PowerWagon 12.06 N/A Track Day @ Atco Rental 04-13-09 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhG0KlXEOnU"]Atco track rental 2009 04 13 Powerwagon 11.3 nitrous run - YouTube[/ame]

Power thanks, yep crank horse power, maybe 360 at best. I have a 2008 SRT Charger, definitely a beast, but that is what the wife drives. Going to Sacramento this weekend, so we will see. This track is 100 ft Alt - any thoughts on ET's?

Everyone has said its about a .4/.5 gain, I guess we will see.

Bring jets. You should be able to go two sizes at least and see a nice gain.

Tubtar - Thanks, I will do that.

Thank you all for chatting, nice to have little insight. Read the CalTracs thread, he seems to dialed that in very nicely, sure make me think

my 71 Demon ran 11.30s at topgun raceway in August 2012...da was 6600....went to Sacto the first weekend in Sept...DA at worst was 1200..... 1st pass was 10.72...picked up 6 tenth...

Top Gun I use 4 jets under stock ...and at Sacto. I was jetted stock with a Holley 950....

-
Back