can i leave starter on,pulling motor

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
its been 20 years since ive pulled one,does the starter have to come off?tti so its kinda a *****.radiator, fan,alt.ps pump,all off.im ready to pull it but was wondering about the starter

Why not just remover the k frame from under it? It's how the factory installed them.

Depends, lol, on whether you are leaving the transmission in the car. If you are pulling "it all" leave it on there

Let us know how that works ? Leaving the starter bolted to the tranny and pulling the motor only...

The starter is bolted to the belhousing through holes in the block flange, so yea, it's gotta come out! It's only 2 bolts and the wiring, you'll probably encounter much worse as you remove and install your motor!

727 staying in,since its bolted to trans i think it can stay

I have pulled the motor with the stater still bolted to the starter...but had to remove starter to get the engine back in..

The starter is bolted to the belhousing through holes in the block flange, so yea, it's gotta come out! It's only 2 bolts and the wiring, you'll probably encounter much worse as you remove and install your motor!

Sorry, no no connection to the block. But you are right about one thing, it's only two bolts. I cannot imagine trying to shoehorn / align an engine back on a bell with the starter in the road.

I see you spending a hour or two trying to line it back up, instead of spending 10 minutes pulling the starter, then pulling the starter anyways.

Leaving the starter on is how I pull my motors if leaving the tranny in the car. I unbolt the flex plate from the torque converter and out she comes!!!!! Just for what it's worth, I never remove the hood either. In fact, this summer I installed motor and tranny together with the hood on the car.

-
Back