Can stock rod and stock crankshaft handle the power?

-
Try it and get back to us. There are plenty of guys running 11's and 10'a with 360 cast crank motors but I'm not sure if they are pushing an honest 500hp. Your best bet is to build the engine in the 350hp to 425hp with lower CR, then work on air flow, single plane intake,port heads it will probably run low 12'a when all sorted out in your somewhat heavy R/T, but the engine will be better suited to handle the 200 horse shot. Building a 500hp engine will need a much bigger cam, hi comp, probably race gas, and due to the hi comp when you hit the 200 shot the cyl psi will be off the charts

Dang, You guys and your laughing gas. All it does is destroy engines. If a 125 shot survives lets throw a 200 shot down it's throat. Soon you will be sweeping up your $5000 engine off the pavement. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Disagreement here,TMM .. Personnally watched a stock rod ( shot peened,worked for possible cracks,side ground ) Stock factory 340 crank properly prepped( minimum spec,indexed, shot peened..) & old school Arias pistons,milled down..( thickness on the piston deck, ."135" "?!?!?) ) The craziness,..It was an 11.7 actual comp, 250/260 ish @ .050 solid roller, and well worked X casted Manning Brady heads( old school porter) refreshed & reworked.
11.70's @ 116 at Famoso, sorted out.. Was pretty well sorted out, before first pass ( 4.57 gears, E.T radials, 4500 stall) .. Ended up with a 250 hit , & in the 10.60's @ 127-8 ish.. It depends on the machinist's time & care. Normally, I would agree with you,TMM... Just not here...(Fabo namesake,Hemi Brian: His dad Harry, is a fantastic wrench, Brian, fair..)

Disagreement here,TMM .. Personnally watched a stock rod ( shot peened,worked for possible cracks,side ground ) Stock factory 340 crank properly prepped( minimum spec,indexed, shot peened..) & old school Arias pistons,milled down..( thickness on the piston deck, ."135" "?!?!?) ) The craziness,..It was an 11.7 actual comp, 250/260 ish @ .050 solid roller, and well worked X casted Manning Brady heads( old school porter) refreshed & reworked.
11.70's @ 116 at Famoso, sorted out.. Was pretty well sorted out, before first pass ( 4.57 gears, E.T radials, 4500 stall) .. Ended up with a 250 hit , & in the 10.60's @ 127-8 ish.. It depends on the machinist's time & care. Normally, I would agree with you,TMM... Just not here...(Fabo namesake,Hemi Brian: His dad Harry, is a fantastic wrench, Brian, fair..)

Dang, I'm surprised that car didn't go closer to the 10.60 mark without a 250 shot. If you purposely build a engine for nitrous it should last longer. But.......way too many guys just hang on a system and hang on. It's fun while it lasts which isn't too long usually.

Dang, I'm surprised that car didn't go closer to the 10.60 mark without a 250 shot. If you purposely build a engine for nitrous it should last longer. But.......way too many guys just hang on a system and hang on. It's fun while it lasts which isn't too long usually.

He wasn't the brightest on valve lash & maintence, and it hurt the long run,TMM...

It will hold up until it doesn't, you might get a year or you might get two months. I would worry about the crank and would stay at 125 shot.

Based on specs - I agree 100% ^^^

me too, but 400 may be reasonable. I did see a 360 Stock bottom end with turbo on youtube that dynoed about 600hp, holding up according to owner.

600 hp may hold just fine for short periods, I mean, you dont drive a mile With the N button depressed...:burnout:

to be honest I think your building a bomb. hit it with 100 shot and fix the after effects .
i'm sure a weak link is just beyond the flywheel. thats if ya hook, if not then why 700hp

I have a build tranny rated a 700 hp red eagle clutch and good steels (bigger clutch drum, more clutch and steels) full manual valve body. HD driveshaft and a 9". I plan on running a 410 gear with a 28X10.5 slick. Hopefully it hooks

I gapped the rings for nitrous, and added an extra fuel system and I have good plugs and ignition system. It's should hold a 150 with no problem. Right?

I would hit it with a 100 shot. I think you will have a handful and will be happy with the results. too many guys claim to be run'n 500, 600 hp or so on the street, I don't buy it.

I would hit it with a 100 shot. I think you will have a handful and will be happy with the results. too many guys claim to be run'n 500, 600 hp or so on the street, I don't buy it.

I just feel like with porter heads and ported intake and the bigger cam from Hughes that it will make 500 hp at the flywheel. And 100-150 shot will just be icing on the cake every once in a while. You don't agree?

RPMs "with a little port work" are not going to reach 500hp on a 360 unless you put a VERY large cam in it (read as race roller) and rev the piss out of it. They need to be fully ported to make that level with a flat tappet cam and it's still going to be rpm happy. I'm not sure what your rationale is for wanting to do this, but I wish you luck. I do think it will live for a time - but only because it's not going to make the numbers.

RPMs "with a little port work" are not going to reach 500hp on a 360 unless you put a VERY large cam in it (read as race roller) and rev the piss out of it. They need to be fully ported to make that level with a flat tappet cam and it's still going to be rpm happy.

This ^

MRL just finished my engine, std stroke 360, fully ported alum heads, 10.6:1 and flat tappet, 550 lift cam. And yes, it likes rpms. Makes well over 500 (thread coming soon). With the OP's combo I can see about 400-425.

This ^

MRL just finished my engine, std stroke 360, fully ported alum heads, 10.6:1 and flat tappet, 550 lift cam. And yes, it likes rpms. Makes well over 500 (thread coming soon). With the OP's combo I can see about 400-425.

Ok then... Let's see what they say about this.
Not much different from my setup, just bigger cam and maybe more head work.
Post as much as you can about your build I would love to see it.

This ^

Can you post the cam specs

I just feel like with porter heads and ported intake and the bigger cam from Hughes that it will make 500 hp at the flywheel. And 100-150 shot will just be icing on the cake every once in a while. You don't agree?

Hughes will steer you in the right direction. they are my go to shop ever since Herb MCcandless retired/sold. Hensley racing is no sloutch, they know MOPAR.

I've had muscle cars most my life and my 410 stroker is the first true 425 horsepower car I've had. There's a large jump from 400 to 500hp . My duster with street tires only holds traction til 1/3 throttle in all 4 gears. I also have 410 gears, 28/10.50's Hoosier's for the track. I get full traction by third on a very - very well prepared track.
What my point is and not to be presumptuous, have you driven a 500 or 700 horsepower car on the street or on the track? I would highly recommend going with motor only for a few test hits if you're not completely use so that kind of power, because it will be quite surprising to say the least especially when you put slicks on it.
I have a friend who has a 74 duster with a true dyno'ed 506 horsepower to the wheels ( probably 625 at the flywheel) and he does 10.2 @ 135. 700 horsepower would be well in to the nines and possibly into the 8 second quarter mile and at that point I hope you have a lot of stuff certified..

Build what you have, put it in the car and dial the combo in NA.
Forget the NOS until the car is sorted out.
Sneak up on the NOS like 50 shot for a couple of weeks, then 75, 100 etc, you better know damn well how to tune it or you will be rewarded with broken garage jewelry.

I think I will 'feel' my stock /6 has 1000 HP today; the sun is shining so that ought to add that missing 855 HP, right?....LOL. It is what it is.... not sure why you are fighting realistic assessments of what you have planned. It is not a matter of 'feeling' or social concensus... it is a matter of the laws of physics. The guys here telling you that you will get 400-425 HP, or whatever, are on the money.

There is a member here with a username Spareparts. He has run nitrous very successfully and I know exactly what his E.T. is, though he has asked me not to share, I can tell you it is very, very impressive with a 318 in a well over 3k lbs duster street car. He races for money, that is why he doesn't share the E.T. I can tell you, he has taken out well set up Fox bodies on boost. No, the 318 wasn't a stroker, Jpar :D

-
Back