Can you id this manual trans?

-

MOBodyman

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get pics of the front and the other side. My camera was refusing to work right.
Is it a 4 speed or 3 speed w/od? (It's missing the reverse rod.) And what did it come out of?
TIA,
Dallas

Attachments

• IMG_7837 (Small).JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7839 (Small).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7846 (Small).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 120
I would not assume that a gearbox this old is "as built." EASY to tell if OD or 4 speed

One way is if the linkage "fits" right and the front shift lever is pointing down instead of up. Otherwise............

Just put the thing in 3rd gear. You do this by moving the front shift lever CLOCKWISE, which moves the internal shift fork to the rear.

Rotate the TAIL shaft 1 turn and count revoloutions on the input shaft

Actually all you need to find out is if it turns MORE or LESS than 1 turn

If less, it's a 4 speed

If more, it's an OD

If you are unaware, all the Ma did to build these (basic) was to revamp 3rd gear into an OD ratio, then turn the front shift lever upside down. So when a 4 speed is in "high" (4th) the upright shift lever on the box moves the fork FORWARD (CCW)

When an OD is in high (old 3rd, new OD) the upside down shift lever moves the shift shaft to the REAR (CW)

In other words, in either box, the "straight through" gear, high in a 4 speed and 3rd in an OD is the same gear. It's just that the shift lever makes you "think" "straight through" is 3rd in an OD box.

PP833 5291

So, 833 4 speed, date code 5291 translates to January 22, 1976. The short tailshaft configuration only came in A or F bodies, so it cam out of one of those. :D

Casting numbers on the tailshaft show it as an overdrive transmission according to Brewer's rebuild kit info.

Easiest way to decide if its an overdrive transmission is to measure the input bearing retainer, if its 5.125" its an overdrive.

Thanks to all replied. The owner thinks it's a '4 speed', because that is what he was told. I thought it was an o/d because the shift levers were not pointing in the same direction, as noted above. I had intended to get a pic but didn't get one of the front or the other side. I knew the bearing retainer was larger on the o/d but I forgot the measurement.
Thanks again for taking the time to help,
Dallas

-
Back