Cancelling PayPal Account tips.

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just spent too much time on the phone this morning cancelling my PayPal account. Here are some things I learned:

I logged on to PP using my laptop. Clicked on Settings, then Account, then clicked the link to cancel. It gave my a phone number.
I called the phone number. Had to say "Account Limitations" when prompted. Got a live person on the phone (Phillipina).
I stated I wanted to close the account. She asked if it was to do with the $2500 thing. I said yes. You should say NO and just say the matter is of no concern to them. I got the big runaround and apologies. She sounded like she was going to cry. She proceeded to make it seem as though I could never send or recieve money again in my life, anywhere. I told her I already have alternatives.
I would suggest just saying you want to shut your account and that you are not going to discuss it or disclose why.
She tried to pose problems in shutting my account. There was a few open accounts tied to one of my cards, none I owed money to. One example was @Joeychgo was listed on an account because that is how I paid for my Gold Membership. She reluctantly closed that account at my request. Got it all done and closed up.

This leaves some things to resolve or figure out. Can the FABO Gold Membership be paid with anything other than Pay Pal. If not, buh bye to the Gold.

If you are interested in closing your account it is a simple process with the phone call but you can cut time way down by just telling them that you do not want to disclose why and expedite the process even more.

I must admit, I've never had the first issue with Paypal. In fact, they've gotten my money back on a few occasions where things didn't go as planned.

Can the FABO Gold Membership be paid with anything other than Pay Pal. If not, buh bye to the Gold.

You can pay with cc or debit card. Paypal is just our payment processor.

She asked if it was to do with the $2500 thing. I said yes.

Just an FYI - Paypal said a few days ago that the $2500 thing was a mistake and is not being added to their policy.

Just an FYI - Paypal said a few days ago that the $2500 thing was a mistake and is not being added to their policy.

Yep, that’s what she said on the phone but my reply was it’s no matter to me because they thought of it first. They floated it and only retracted after people questioned it. It shows motive and direction on their part.
If your elected official said , “We’re going to jail anyone who says boo about about the government.” but 12 hours later said, “ We’re not actually going to do that.” would you not want to look at different candidates?
I believe that is an apples to apples comparison. I think I am justified in in my dissent.
It matters to me that PayPal even had the thought of doing social credit score type tactics.

Yep, that’s what she said on the phone but my reply was it’s no matter to me because they thought of it first. They floated it and only retracted after people questioned it. It shows motive and direction on their part.

I understand. And I don't disagree. I myself was concerned. However, the other side of the coin is that ideas get tossed around all the time and don't get enacted. Reality is, even if they had decided to actually try and do this, it would have been impossible for them to enforce and I strongly suspect they would have lost in the courts had they tried.

I understand. And I don't disagree. I myself was concerned. However, the other side of the coin is that ideas get tossed around all the time and don't get enacted. Reality is, even if they had decided to actually try and do this, it would have been impossible for them to enforce and I strongly suspect they would have lost in the courts had they tried.
I agree in part, however if it had gone though, who wants to be embroiled in that mess?

I agree in part, however if it had gone though, who wants to be embroiled in that mess?

Oh I agree. I was not happy about it.. But reality is, ideas get tossed around and most don't get enacted. think about how many times you had to think of how to do something and considered doing something crazy to do it. Considering is not doing. As things stand now there is a little bit of no harm no foul IMO.

Oh I agree. I was not happy about it.. But reality is, ideas get tossed around and most don't get enacted. think about how many times you had to think of how to do something and considered doing something crazy to do it. Considering is not doing. As things stand now there is a little bit of no harm no foul IMO.
Bean Counters and Think Tanks Oh My! :poke:

If your elected official said , “We’re going to jail anyone who says boo about about the government.” but 12 hours later said, “ We’re not actually going to do that.” would you not want to look at different candidates?
I believe that is an apples to apples comparison. I think I am justified in in my dissent.
It matters to me that PayPal even had the thought of doing social credit score type tactics.
I agree, but I wonder how big the class action lawsuit will be...

Same here, thanks for heads up. I'm wondering what the "$2500 thing" is also?
Just spent too much time on the phone this morning cancelling my PayPal account. Here are some things I learned:

I logged on to PP using my laptop. Clicked on Settings, then Account, then clicked the link to cancel. It gave my a phone number.
I called the phone number. Had to say "Account Limitations" when prompted. Got a live person on the phone (Phillipina).
I stated I wanted to close the account. She asked if it was to do with the $2500 thing. I said yes. You should say NO and just say the matter is of no concern to them. I got the big runaround and apologies. She sounded like she was going to cry. She proceeded to make it seem as though I could never send or recieve money again in my life, anywhere. I told her I already have alternatives.
I would suggest just saying you want to shut your account and that you are not going to discuss it or disclose why.
She tried to pose problems in shutting my account. There was a few open accounts tied to one of my cards, none I owed money to. One example was @Joeychgo was listed on an account because that is how I paid for my Gold Membership. She reluctantly closed that account at my request. Got it all done and closed up.

This leaves some things to resolve or figure out. Can the FABO Gold Membership be paid with anything other than Pay Pal. If not, buh bye to the Gold.

If you are interested in closing your account it is a simple process with the phone call but you can cut time way down by just telling them that you do not want to disclose why and expedite the process even more.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I live under a rock. What's the $2,500 thing?

The issue gained traction over the weekend after the company published policy updates prohibiting users from using the PayPal service for activities identified by the company as “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” promoting misinformation, in an Acceptable Use Policy due to kick in on Nov. 3. A penalty of $2,500 could be imposed for each violation, according to the update. ……
The original notice attracted the ire of former leaders at the company, including David Marcus, the president of PayPal from 2012 to 2014, who called such a move “insanity” on Twitter. Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, who co-founded the platform, said he agreed with Marcus in a tweet.

You can pay with cc or debit card. Paypal is just our payment processor.

That's what they say when they get caught.

That's what they say when they get caught.
Exactly, they had it written in the policy update that was going to hit Nov. 3rd. You know the ones that they send and you skip through all the words and accept without reading.

Exactly, they had it written in the policy update that was going to hit Nov. 3rd. You know the ones that they send and you skip through all the words and accept without reading.
Many people read through these policies before they are released (lawyers).

Guaranteed they were moving forward until the backlash. Thieves.
They didnt go to the extent they went with policy updates blah blah blah and NOT plan to go ahead with it.
Thanks for the link
The issue gained traction over the weekend after the company published policy updates prohibiting users from using the PayPal service for activities identified by the company as “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” promoting misinformation, in an Acceptable Use Policy due to kick in on Nov. 3. A penalty of $2,500 could be imposed for each violation, according to the update. ……
The original notice attracted the ire of former leaders at the company, including David Marcus, the president of PayPal from 2012 to 2014, who called such a move “insanity” on Twitter. Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, who co-founded the platform, said he agreed with Marcus in a tweet.

The court of public opinion has far more sway and they messed in that bed already

580AA972-464A-4FB6-BEB5-1C55F20C20B4.jpeg

Get Your Money Out Right Now’—Elon Musk And PayPal Mafia Lead ‘Insanity’ Backlash Against Shock Blunder That’s The ‘Best Thing’ To Ever Happen To Bitcoin And Crypto​

"An AUP (acceptable use policy) notice recently went out in error that included incorrect information," a PayPal spokesperson told reporters. "PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy. Our teams are working to correct our policy pages. We’re sorry for the confusion this has caused."
However, the company’s change of direction only happened after members of the so-called PayPal mafia, former PayPal president David Marcus, founding chief operations officer David Sacks and cofounder Elon Musk, publically criticized the policy while the bitcoin and crypto community pointed to it as evidence of the need for decentralized, digital payment alternatives.

"It’s hard for me to openly criticize a company I used to love and gave so much to," Marcus, who now runs "bitcoin-focused" company Lightspark after failing to get Facebook's digital currency off the ground, posted to Twitter. "But PayPal's new AUP goes against everything I believe in. A private company now gets to decide to take your money if you say something they disagree with. Insanity."

"Agreed," Musk responded to Marcus, while Sacks, now a venture capitalist and cohost of the All In podcast, told PayPal users to "get your money out of PayPal right now."

‘Get Your Money Out Right Now’—Elon Musk And PayPal Mafia Lead ‘Insanity’ Backlash Against Shock Blunder That’s The ‘Best Thing’ To Ever Happen To Bitcoin And Crypto

-
Back