Cannot align A833 into bell housing!!!!

-
Instead of cutting the shaft, you can get in there with a die grinder and hog out enough for shaft end clearance and use the jeep bearing.

Yes it used to be mounted all together and I took it apart for some new gaskets and stuff. What is a pilot bearing dummy?

It seems someone broke into your garage and stole your stick shift crank and replaced it with an automatic one.

I'm a little confused as to what I need because I swear this sucker was hooked up 100% when I bought the car. I took it apart myself.

Which pilot bushing do I buy? The 68 dart one or the jeep one? I don't intend on shaving the crank down because as stated it was all together before it got dismantled.

Use the newer bushing. Much easier, especially to remove in the future. Think mine's from a 90's van or dakota. As mentioned, clean the bearing retainer on the trans & make sure the bell slides over. Then install the bell on the motor (no clutch or throwout bearing) & install the trans to make sure it's not bottoming out on the crank. This is very, very common. Most of us have been there.

Here's a link with part numbers. Either will work.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/clutch/1.html

Yup hooked up perfectly when I removed everything but the bell housing! So either bearing will work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 302
You just tap them in gently with a block of wood. Do you have a dodge dealer nearby? They'll likely have them on the shelf & know what you need. Take a copy of the link I posted.

Edit: Since it goes in smooth without the clutch then it'll just need just a snug with the bolts when you reassemble everything. As mentioned sometimes the plastic shafts are a little sloppy or the throwout bearing is hanging up a little. Check to make sure the disk slides all the way on the input shaft and there's no burr.

Cool yea I have the guy the part number and I got it! Thanks! I have determined that since there was no pilot bearing the alignment was off, therefore why I couldn't get the transmission in good

Okay so here's my other problem. I bought the pilot bushing, the newer one. I have the parts store the oem # I installed the bearing and I set everything up and I could not get the tranny to go in, I unbolted everything and tried to install the transmission with nothing but the flex plate on, the shaft on the transmission does not go in all the way, it stops at that lifting point. I'm pointing to it in the photo. So in conclusion I believe the pilot bearing hole is too small. Did I buy the wrong bearing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 259
Your not using both a bushing and a bearing are you ?? It's either one or the other .. Looks like you have a bushing on the input shaft .. Get that bushing off of the input shaft and use just the bearing and it will slide right in

Right. The pilot bushing and pilot bearing are two different animals that do the same job. Just like dustya_383 said. You use one or the other not both. Since you have the pilot bearing installed in the back of the crank, slip the bushing off the input shaft and throw it as far as possible. Then assemble it with just the pilot bearing. It should go together then.

I don't know if this is a good guess but, is that part of an old bearing stuck on the input shaft?

Okay so here's my other problem. I bought the pilot bushing, the newer one. I have the parts store the oem # I installed the bearing and I set everything up and I could not get the tranny to go in, I unbolted everything and tried to install the transmission with nothing but the flex plate on, the shaft on the transmission does not go in all the way, it stops at that lifting point. I'm pointing to it in the photo. So in conclusion I believe the pilot bearing hole is too small. Did I buy the wrong bearing?

Not sure why you called that a lifting point? But that is your old pilot bushing
on the input shaft thus the reason it's not in the crank

You can take a hammer and a sharp chisel and cut it off. It's bronze/tin whatever it is. It's very soft metal and will cut easily. If you're afraid to hit the input shaft, then you can also cut it off with a wiz wheel.

That's funny ! I don't think I've ever removed a trans with the pilot bushing stuck to the input shaft. I've had trouble separating the 2 before but the bushing always stays in the crank !

Bushing was likely OD ground to fit the crank rather than pressed in the crank and reamed. Maybe try a three jaw puller to remove?

If foggy memory serves me right, the mounting bolts for the tranny to the bell housing are 7/16-14 UNC, get 2 or 3 long bolts, cut the heads off and use them as alignment dowels, plus they will carry some of the weight of the tranny. QUOTE]

Great idea!

-
Back