Can't decide on heads. . opinions??

-

mopow3r

Reaction score
Were currently building a 340 for my dart and a 360 for an 81 stepside but we're relatively new on building small blocks and can't decide what heads to run. A few people told us to look at the edelbrock heads but when I called them they said ported their heads flowed about 270 cfm, and honestly that just not enough for what we're wanting. And someone told me about w2 heads but I've heard you have to run a different style valve train and not really interested in that. Does anyone in here have any experience with any good aftermarket heads that could help me out with some info? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

What is the purpose of your build? Race car? Street? Street/Strip? 270cfm head flow can support at least 500hp. You would have to have quite a bit of compression & camshaft to make that with 340 or 360 cubic inches. If you want some serious flow, but stock valvetrain, intake, headers, etc. Look into the Dr. J's Airwolf heads.

They're both 475-500hp occasional cruisers. I work offshore so they aren't driven that often

I would say aluminum heads if you are wanting that kind of power to run on pump gas

If you don't mind race gas then doesn't matter,

Sure wish I put aluminum heads on mine

Know several people running edelbrock heads with no problems

We have the Edelbrock on a 340 street engine, after fixing some tight guide clearances. a step up from a stock head
due to port volume, not a race head.

Went with a Indy head (360-1), on a 449 stroker
requires custom exhuast due to port design and spacing
Must use Indy intake
NO customer support

011-1.jpg

Airwolf head-very hard to get in touch with
best to contact on facebook
Only cleaned up some CNC marks and smoothed the edges

only 4 passes on the 446 stroker
traction issues

020.jpg

002.jpg

015-1-1.jpg

Moparts review-2013

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7555161&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Airwolf facebook

https://www.facebook.com/airwolfcylinderheads

475-500hp, you don't need airwolf or anything fancy.

Too bad ede support doesn't have a clue about what their heads will do. A decent port job on them will go 280cfm which is plenty. When you really start to work them they get into the 300ish range. BTW, what they flow at 700 is worthless if you're lifting the valve .500ish. :)

I don't know anybody else that got close to the claimed #'s out of the airwolf heads on their benches.

You'll need a pretty raspy cam if you want 475+ out of a stock stroke 340 engine. Not going to make it with a xe268H...

I wouldn't buy anything from Dr. J's after his screw job on a friend of mine.

Pick your parts, pay your money.

475-500hp, you don't need airwolf or anything fancy.

I don't know anybody else that got close to the claimed #'s out of the airwolf heads on their benches.

when info first came out
the flow #'s were using a 4.100 + bore

I can't find the info, must have been removed

500hp takes a good head, or a lot of cam and a decent head. I'm still staying away from Airwolf. When I see more in use and comparables I'll reconsider. the RPMs with some port work, the Indy 360-1s, W2s, will all make that power on the right shortblock. Like wa ssaid - pick your poison and pay and you should be good.

The Edelbrocks should work. We just did a pair of Edelbrocks that went 273 cfm @ .500", 283 cfm @ .550" and 290 cfm @ .600". Haven't had the chance to do the ProComp versions we are doing for a 426ci 360.

I never had a good experience with Indy. I went with eddies for my build...haven't ran them yet though. Just my opinion.

-
Back