Car acts dead after it gets hot...

-
Dental Dart(all),

Not trying to hi-jack this discussion(lots of good troubleshooting info here), but I think I know EXACTLY what your problem is because I struggled with the EXACT same situation on my 360 duster for about a year before figuring it out. It is your neutral safety switch on the transmission.
For over a year+, I couldn't shut off the car when stopping for gas. If I shut it down, I'd have to sit there for 15 minutes for everything to "cool down" and then car would crank slowly. if I waited another 5-10 minutes, the car started normally. (trying to jump made no difference at all). I am not an expert on how the Safety switch operators on a 727 trans., but mine started to "behave" in this manner after I had my transmission rebuilt. (I expect it is pressure sensitive?)
To by-pass the neutral safety switch out of the starting circuit, you need to run a small jumper wire from the correct lug(I can send a pic tomorrow if you are still working on this) on the starter relay to ground. I haven't replaced the safety switch yet(on my to-do list), but my car starts just fine cold or hot or anywhere in between. Of course, it will also start when still in gear which could cause a problem, but since no-one else drives my car.....
Let me know if this helps.
-Scott

A picture would be great! I really haven't been working on the car much because... well I've been in Missouri and a little busy since I got back!

It didn't start after sitting for 5+ hours yesterday, until I bumped the starter relaynwith a screw driver lol.

I need to go get a test light apparently...

FB_IMG_1621140970498.jpg

FB_IMG_1621139983140.jpg

FB_IMG_1621140962835.jpg

A picture would be great! I really haven't been working on the car much because... well I've been in Missouri and a little busy since I got back!

It didn't start after sitting for 5+ hours yesterday, until I bumped the starter relaynwith a screw driver lol.

View attachment 1715738724

View attachment 1715738725

View attachment 1715738726

What are you calling "bumping"? Lets get our redneck terminology right, ok? Do you mean electrically JUMPING the relay, as in crossing two points on it with the metal screwdriver? OR do you mean PHYSICALLY bumping it as in tapping on it with something?

Depending on exactly WHAT you mean might lead you to get an incorrect answer and it sounds like it has. I'm still unclear on exactly WHAT your damn problem IS because your description is clear as MUD.

Are you saying once the engine is hot the starter will not turn the engine from the key? Be specific instead of bump this, jump that screw this and **** that, ok?

View attachment 1715738724

View attachment 1715738725

View attachment 1715738726

Very nice pictures, btw! What was the occasion? Graduation from "something" I "GUESS", but we'll never know with your GREAT description. LOL

What are you calling "bumping"? Lets get our redneck terminology right, ok? Do you mean electrically JUMPING the relay, as in crossing two points on it with the metal screwdriver? OR do you mean PHYSICALLY bumping it as in tapping on it with something?

Depending on exactly WHAT you mean might lead you to get an incorrect answer and it sounds like it has. I'm still unclear on exactly WHAT your damn problem IS because your description is clear as MUD.

Are you saying once the engine is hot the starter will not turn the engine from the key? Be specific instead of bump this, jump that screw this and **** that, ok?

I physically cross the path on the starter relay, to "bump" the starter into cranking the car over. I posted pictures in this thread previously.

My problem.

Car starts up just fine with the key after it has been sitting for a while (was days/hours at first) drives around just fine until I shut it off. After shutting it off, if I try to start the car back up with the key I get nothing. Like a dead battery, except my battery is full and all the lights work in the car. If I use a screwdriver on the starter relay the car will crank over and start...

20210507_162819.jpg

Very nice pictures, btw! What was the occasion? Graduation from "something" I "GUESS", but we'll never know with your GREAT description. LOL

Graduation from Dental School. I'm officially a Doctor of Dental Medicine... lol I'm a dentist now.

I physically cross the path on the starter relay, to "bump" the starter into cranking the car over. I posted pictures in this thread previously.

My problem.

Car starts up just fine with the key after it has been sitting for a while (was days/hours at first) drives around just fine until I shut it off. After shutting it off, if I try to start the car back up with the key I get nothing. Like a dead battery, except my battery is full and all the lights work in the car. If I use a screwdriver on the starter relay the car will crank over and start...

View attachment 1715738729

Ok, cool. NOW it's clear as a bell. Had you said this the VERY first time, I wouldn't have jumped the gun on the starter relay. Once again, Del was right......no surprises there.

Next time it does it, have another person there. Have them hold the key in the start position while you reach down and wiggle the wires plugged into the firewall connector and see what happens.

Ok, cool. NOW it's clear as a bell. Had you said this the VERY first time, I wouldn't have jumped the gun on the starter relay. Once again, Del was right......no surprises there.

Next time it does it, have another person there. Have them hold the key in the start position while you reach down and wiggle the wires plugged into the firewall connector and see what happens.

Ok I will try it out!

No worries on the starter relay, mine was crap. When the car did start up after installing the new one, it was the easiest the car had ever started. So it was probably time for a new one anyways.

I said this earlier, my new Chinesium realay lasted around 20-25 starts. Hope yours last longer!

I said this earlier, my new Chinesium realay lasted around 20-25 starts. Hope yours last longer!

Well my started just fine first try after relay install, I drove it to the donut store and went to restart it and same problem was present.

I'll grab a test light tomorrow and touch everything under the hood with the little metal pointer pieces.

Here a picture of what it will look like with me touching the electrical tester to everything under the hood.... hopefully nothing starts buzzing or beeping while I'm doing it :popcorn:

Screenshot_20210517-203135_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dental Dart,
Again, lots of good troubleshooting advice here, but I can only pass along how I solved this problem with my car. I did also replace the relay before I discovered my problem, but the original relay was actually working fine. Here is a picture.
As you can probably see, I have pulled off the plug that normally fits onto the electrical lug at the bottom right of the relay(It is zip-tied in the picture). The additional ground wire jumper is what by-passes the neutral safety switch. Good Luck and Congrats on school graduation.
-Scott

IMG_3196.JPG

@scott mattingly I'll give that a try and see if it helps... although I haven't been driving my car. I've been slammed with moving logistics.

@RustyRatRod gotta have a sense of humor when you arent to smart with these old beasts. The car is actually all packed up and almost ready for the move to Missouri!

20210525_161935.jpg

@scott mattingly I'll give that a try and see if it helps... although I haven't been driving my car. I've been slammed with moving logistics.

@RustyRatRod gotta have a sense of humor when you arent to smart with these old beasts. The car is actually all packed up and almost ready for the move to Missouri!

View attachment 1715742836

Oh wow. I had forgotten about the move. Good luck and be safe. I see Harbor Freight jack stands. Have you checked to see if they are the recall stands?

Oh wow. I had forgotten about the move. Good luck and be safe. I see Harbor Freight jack stands. Have you checked to see if they are the recall stands?

I've had these stands for probably close to 9 years, I did check them for the recall once and don't think they were the recall ones. I usually do stands, the jack and when I lift it for long periods of time use my 2x4 cradles.

Yes the move is in less than 30 days! Been packing, getting rid of crap, selling furniture, finding a house, etc etc. It's way to crazy in my house right now!

I've had these stands for probably close to 9 years, I did check them for the recall once and don't think they were the recall ones. I usually do stands, the jack and when I lift it for long periods of time use my 2x4 cradles.

Yes the move is in less than 30 days! Been packing, getting rid of crap, selling furniture, finding a house, etc etc. It's way to crazy in my house right now!

I bet! So what's the plans since yer a dentist? You startin up yer own practice?

I bet! So what's the plans since yer a dentist? You startin up yer own practice?

I'm joining a practice in Springfield Missouri, it will be me and the current owner Dr with plans of me taking over the practice in the next couple of years. Unless I blow all my money on buying a bunch if old mopars I don't know how to fix :lol:

I'm joining a practice in Springfield Missouri, it will be me and the current owner Dr with plans of me taking over the practice in the next couple of years. Unless I blow all my money on buying a bunch if old mopars I don't know how to fix :lol:

LOL. That's funny. Man I wish you the best of luck.

LOL. That's funny. Man I wish you the best of luck.

With learning how to fix the cars? Or the dentisting thing? Lol.

Thanks! We are excited to move and get out of Vegas. Cost of living in Missouri sure is a lot better than Vegas as well.

With learning how to fix the cars? Or the dentisting thing? Lol.

Thanks! We are excited to move and get out of Vegas. Cost of living in Missouri sure is a lot better than Vegas as well.

The dentist thing, dummy. If you are as good at something you went to school for as you are with something you didn't, you got it licked.

Winner winner chicken dinner! @scott mattingly was correct in telling me how to solve my problem... NSS is bad, so bypassing it allowed my car to start and continue starting after warming up.

I know I should fix it properly... but that will wait until after the move. I have a new VB waiting to go in as well, but want to do a new TC at the same time.

20210526_162133.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner! @scott mattingly was correct in telling me how to solve my problem... NSS is bad, so bypassing it allowed my car to start and continue starting after warming up.

I know I should fix it properly... but that will wait until after the move. I have a new VB waiting to go in as well, but want to do a new TC at the same time.

View attachment 1715743207

I haven’t run a NSS switch since about 2 days after I bought my first car. That would have been February 1980. You had to hold the clutch pedal down to make it start. I bypassed that government junk pronto. My car today is bypassed.

If you caint think to get the car in neutral to start it, or push in the clutch, or make sure you are in park you need to Uber your *** to where you want to go. And don’t use a pop up toaster.

EDIT: my last statement was a general one and not directed at the good dentist.

View attachment 1715743207

Yall be careful with that now! It'll start in any position.

-
Back