Car leans passenger side......still. Help?

-

67CudaBob

Reaction score
I picked up a 1967 Dodge Dart GT Ragtop just before winter. The car sagged to the passenger side with some really tired leaf springs and a dead passenger shock. Today, I finished replacing the leafs with new ESPO +1 and I also replaced the shocks.

The car still leans. It is off about 1-1/4" in the rear, and about 3/4" in the front - sagging passenger side in both cases. Checked air pressure on the tires, and everything is equal.

No known accident history on the car, but I am now suspecting something happened at some point. Anyone else have any other ideas why it would sag so much and what I might do to level it out?

Thank you-

Have you checked the torsion bars? Where they attach? Driver side cranked up more than the passenger side or the passenger side not adjusted properly?

Just thinking out loud here.

Torsion bar on the driver side could be turned up too much causing weight transfer to passenger side

Could torsion bars (assuming I have the smallest ones available as it is a 273/904) account for that much variance?

Could they be adjusted for a heavier driver than passenger? Or why else?

My first thought was that the previous owner drove his big ol girlfriend to Sonic too many times.

Could torsion bars (assuming I have the smallest ones available as it is a 273/904) account for that much variance?

Well, I would certainly look at the bars. Also look at the mounting points on the rear of the bar. Is it possible the pocket they rest in rusted out and it's not holding that side? I would think so.

It's possible you have a broken bar.

When you drive the car does it feel like it's riding on the bump stop? Kinda bouncy?

Level the front of the car using the torsion bars....Then bounce the front end & re-measure

If it sits level with you in the drivers seat I would leave it alone

And that's a good point as well. Some shops will align and adjust suspension with weights in the driver seat/floorboard.

I bought a 71 demon a few months ago. Passenger side lower control arm bushings was blown out. Made things ki da weird. I would start with torsion bars too tho...

Makes sence cause I put SS Springs in my Dart and now it sits just like your saying. The pass side is 1.5" higher than the drivers side. This is normal with ss springs , but to level the car on the street, just crank up the driver side tortion bar to counter the weight back to the pass rear which will make the car sit more level

Torsion bars it was indeed. One was cranked way in, and the other cranked way out. Brought one in a bit, and the other out a bit, and whammo, things leveled right out. Now I can adjust from there for drive comfort and stance.

Thanks to all for helping the rookie wrench turner.

Torsion bars it was indeed. One was cranked way in, and the other cranked way out. Brought one in a bit, and the other out a bit, and whammo, things leveled right out. Now I can adjust from there for drive comfort and stance.

Thanks to all for helping the rookie wrench turner.

:cheers:

-
Back