Car show question

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
For you more experienced guys and gals out there, would you wait until your car was finished before you started making the car show circuits, or would it really matter to you? What I mean is, as long as the car is safely driveable, registered, and insured, would you take it to a car show no matter the condition? I'm just wondering...

Yes I would and have taken a car that's a work in progress to a car show. People like to see our cars. Just clean it up. I did ask to be excluded from judging so the judges wouldn't spend time looking over my car.

For you more experienced guys and gals out there, would you wait until your car was finished before you started making the car show circuits, or would it really matter to you? What I mean is, as long as the car is safely driveable, registered, and insured, would you take it to a car show no matter the condition? I'm just wondering...

I never take mine untill itsssss done.

yup i took my car to shows right when i registered it, 3 different colors, no front bumper, seat all ripped etc etc. its about fun at the show and meeting friends and making new friends, sounds cheesy i know but thats what it is. enjoy it and fix it as you go.

I would (do ) take in car show even if I have not finished a car. People enjoy a "work in progress" and I do not have to worry about the paint job.

Many shows have an "In Progress" class and there's usually not many entries in it.
At our (Inland Mopars Car Club) annual all-Mopar show last year, when the "Best of Show" winner picked up his trophy he told us he'd won the "In Progress" class at our show a couple of years earlier. It was great to see how his "In Progress" car turned out when complete.

i take my rust bucket to shows. i'll do a show for a good cause. i mostly goto free cruises. they ar more fun that a "show" in my opinion..

I have an old A100 pickup that needs lots of work. I have a sign that says "under construction" that I slap in the window where I have taken it. Most people don't care anyway.

i'd show it before its finished. My people including myself like to work in progress.

when i was pres of the local club our club pic trophy would not usually go to the trump trailer queens, but most interesting, or rare or most original , most engineered, etc, etc

point is (including peoples choice), you never know what people like to see and what takes the trophy

I take my cars and none of em are show cars by any means and sometimes people raz me about it and thats just an opinion as far as I am concerned.I always build my cars the way I want them and if others can appreciate the work that I have done?Well it will probably strike up some conversation,and sometimes that can include the whereabouts of parts that might help in what I am building:thumrigh:.

I have taken all my cars to shows/cruise ins in an under construction state, i don't care about what other folks think i'm just there to have fun and meet folks.My cuda is not a pile but it's not perfect either i still go to shows with it [i'm not into trophys ect.]just to show it off and meet folks [there are not but a hand full of big window cars in my area] my son's do the same thing we're in it for fun.

Took the demon to a car show last weekend unrestored org. Paint is going bad chrome is dull the interior is good, body has some rust it has 84000+ mile many 1/4 mile runs it cleans up well it car was jugded best un restored by the people who were entered in the 200+cars take yours to a show you will have fun a guy at the show had a 59 impala 4 door rust bucket that has been here at the beach for many years look like sh@#$% but we all had to look and make a comment

I have taken my Dart to shows since I bought it and people do like to see a car
"just like my brother used to own". I am proud of my car but I was a bit embarrassed last weekend though. I was parked between the first and second place Mopars, a red 69 1/2 Road Runner 440-6/lift off hood and a Demon with a a Paxton supercharged aluminum block 318. I don't enter every show I go to though. Someday my Dart will have paint and I'll feel better about it. toolman

Attachments

• car show 040.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 162
I never have and don't think I will enter a car of mine, I really could care less if other people like my car or not, I do.

I take mine to shows and it needs paint and body work. People like it.. and I don't have to start screaming if someone leans over it or pokes at it. :)

I go to the show to meet car people. Here is a show from last year. As you see in the pics, I ain't afraid of sitting next to the other cars. I told the vet guys "your welcome". 1 said why? I say, my car had to make yours look better!!!
And mine was the only project car there, but meet a lot of great folks.
As you can see I'm between the Vett's. the "63" is a 96 point car.

Attachments

• 100_5209.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_5210.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 129
My car is far from finished, but I've been driving and taking it to events every chance I get :-D. I'm just soooo happy that it's alive and dependable again!!

I enjoy meeting other car enthusiasts and sharing ideas and stories. There will always be a nicer car than yours, no matter where you go. Take pride in your build and enjoy the hobby :)

Nothing wrong with taking a work in progress to a show. They are great conversation pieces, and you meet a lot of new people. Be proud of what you have and get out there and enjoy your car.:toothy10:

I have to admit when I first got my Dart on the road I didnt want to take it to car shows.. all my friends had 'done' cars.. and I just felt weird.. but they pushed.. told me 'works in progress' were just as awesome as the finished cars.. I have taken the Dart ever since.. I love the fact that people look at it.. they ask questions about what the plans are for the car.. and it sparks stories.. its just a cool experience.. as you can see from the pic its a definite work in progress... lol

Attachments

• HPIM1324.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 80
Wouldnt take one unless I was near finished and then I would at least have it detailed to look the best possible. I wouldnt want to show something that wasnt the cleanest I could get it. I compare it to a date. You want to look your best. This was last months show.

Attachments

• car show 040 (Large).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 95
I appreciate all of the input. Hopefully I should be getting my Barracuda in the next month or so. Considering that I have never seen it, but I do know that it runs, I was just curious if I should start making show circuits as long as it was safe to drive. It's been sitting in a garage for the past 20+ years. I know there's going to have to bee some work done to get it street-ready, but I'm itching to go! I've been going to car shows my whole life, but I've always been on the outside looking in. I can't wait to see them from the inside out.

By all means take it, enjoy the ride, your hard work, and just have fun with it!!!

I remember reading a story one time about a cruise in somewhere in California where an older gentleman had a Volare and would come to the cruise every week. His car was just a daily driver, somewhat rusty and worn looking, but he was very proud of it and would dote over it at the show. The cruise organizers had 50/50 and small participation awards to give out every week, and awarded him with a participation award for his love for his car and his support for the hobby. This kind man was so taken back that they chose him that he cried upon receiving an award for his car. The organizers didn't care about the condition of his car, they saw his love for his car and the hobby and recognized his support and enjoyment of just being there. Every show should take a page from this group... just enjoy what you got, and enjoy making it what you want it to be!!! JMO, Geof

By all means take it, enjoy the ride, your hard work, and just have fun with it!!!

I remember reading a story one time about a cruise in somewhere in California where an older gentleman had a Volare and would come to the cruise every week. His car was just a daily driver, somewhat rusty and worn looking, but he was very proud of it and would dote over it at the show. The cruise organizers had 50/50 and small participation awards to give out every week, and awarded him with a participation award for his love for his car and his support for the hobby. This kind man was so taken back that they chose him that he cried upon receiving an award for his car. The organizers didn't care about the condition of his car, they saw his love for his car and the hobby and recognized his support and enjoyment of just being there. Every show should take a page from this group... just enjoy what you got, and enjoy making it what you want it to be!!! JMO, Geof

Well said...

-
Back