carb choice??

-

dusterboyy440

Reaction score
Alright guys wat do you think on how many cfm's for my carb??
-67 440 hp 40 over
-closed chamber heads
-ross racing pistons
-13.18 to 1 compression
-roller rockers
-crane cam (have to check the specs)
-forged crank
-edelbrock torker 2 intake
supposevly 550-600 h.p.

dusterboy.....I would go with a really well prepared 4150 that would flow in the 1000CFM range......A Holley HP 950 will work well but will not flow more then 900CFM probably on this application....This will limit the top end/MPH.....We make our 950 Stage 5~Plus which is just like a normal 950 HP but we take the venturi open at the top of each bore enough to get 1000CFM pretty easy.....Some might recomend a 1050 Dominator also but a 4150 carb will be a little more user friendly.......Jesse

Alright guys wat do you think on how many cfm's for my carb??
-67 440 hp 40 over
-closed chamber heads
-ross racing pistons
-13.18 to 1 compression
-roller rockers
-crane cam (have to check the specs)
-forged crank
-edelbrock torker 2 intake
supposevly 550-600 h.p.

I'd really need to know your plans for the heads, eg. full port and polish on the cast iron ones or go for the throat with Aluminum cnc ported Edelrocks. That decision will have to be made when considering your cam specs. cuss there's no point in putting a big assed carb on top if you're necked down at the heads. Also I'd be a little worried about going as high as 13 to 1 unless you're planning on mixing your own fuel. my 2 cents anway but you're off to a good start.

Terry

well the motor is already built and thats the compression the shop ended up with...it only be a drag car for now..wat octane would you recomend??

well the motor is already built and thats the compression the shop ended up with...it only be a drag car for now..wat octane would you recomend??

You got me on the octane, last time (20 yrs. ago) I ran an engine with comp. that high I was cutting premium gas with 105/110 aircraft fuel. Maybe one of the other guys will chime in.

Terry

I think you may have ended up with an engine quite well suited to alcohol/E-85. Since you haven't bought a carb yet, I would suggest a 4150HP set up for alcohol then jet down to run E-85. E-85 is 105 octane and is way cheaper than race fuel. You'll make more power and run cooler plus it's easier on parts. Availibility maybe the only problem in your area, wherever that may be.

Just food for thought.

PS:

Some machinists will do exactly what tell them to do with the assumption that the customer knows exactly what they want. Some are very dilligent and will call and say "Are you sure you want to do this because (fill in the blank here)". It's a good idea to let them know what the intended purpose of the engine is and do your homework before bringing the block to them. Also, get a copy of the work order when you drop the block off and read it. Call them right away if something doesn't seem right. Machining involves removing metal and when it's gone, it's gone.

-
Back