Carb for 340

-
A lot depends on how the engine is built and what intake you have on it.

A general purpose carb would be of 600 cfm. Holley or Edelbrock.
For a street strip carb, stepping up in performance, a Holley 750 cfm carb or Edelbrock will do.
The OE TQ is an excellent street strip carb. Tuning parts are a little hard to come by.

The Edelbrock carbs are known very well as a set it and for get it carb. Very reliable and steady. They give up a few HP against the Holley at worst. Just use the thick Edelbrock gasket under it to keep it cool.

Same as above for the TQ.
Also, use the large primary TQ, earlier the better. Just not the first year of them.

I'm with Rob. Hard to beat a good TQ on a 340. They take a little more learning curve to understand how they work, but once you've figured it out, it's one of the best carbs out there.
Eddie Performer and Thunder series are (as was mentioned ) "set 'n forget". Very street-friendly.
Holley (or any of it's knock-off derivatives) are the easiest to understand and tune, and very respectable performance.
It's a cornucopia of goodness any way you go.......

What's a good carb for my 340 for street use?

A few more details would help >

> Engine {Year} .........
> Compression Ratio ...
> Transmission ...........
> Gear Ratio ..............
> Exhaust System ......
> Intake Manifold .......
> Camshaft ...............

> Car Make ...............
> Hood Scoop {Yes or No}
> Car Weight {Approximate Shipping Weight}

UOTE=69 Cuda 440;1970817966]A few more details would help >

> Compression Ratio ...
> Exhaust System ......

> Hood Scoop {Yes or No}
> Car Weight {Approximate Shipping Weight}[/QUOTE]

It makes it so much easier when posts like this , post the actual information. Posts like yours, cut the "60 post argument threads" , into something understandable and useable.

A few more details would help >

> Compression Ratio ...
> Exhaust System ......

> Hood Scoop {Yes or No}
> Car Weight {Approximate Shipping Weight}

Exactly why "I" will not waste my time on junk threads like this. People want help, yet it's like pullin teeth to get information. Not to mention the OP is MIA. Typical.

It makes it so much easier when posts like this , post the actual information. Posts like yours, cut the "60 post argument threads" , into something understandable and useable.

Exactly why you don't see me post up more like I used to. I am all for it with our regulars. But these new guys that post these drive by threads with little to no info can go jump.

If you end up wanting a holley 750 i have a dp with hp center for sale

Exactly why you don't see me post up more like I used to. I am all for it with our regulars. But these new guys that post these drive by threads with little to no info can go jump.

RRR, I completely understand. As a carburetor builder (you),you need some basic specifics ,to do a baseline start. I wouldn't touch it,with a ten foot pole without the correct information. (this is an analogy comparison,not to this thread...).

Posted Question

What is a good Carburetor for my '340' for street-use.

Kind of like asking,,,,,, How long does it take for paint to dry ?

My friend and I are running 770 street avengers with real good luck with them.

Normally a general question gets a general answer. Stroked340's answer nailed it! LOL!
I try to be helpful.......

Oh heck! I might as well ask my question... I'm setting up a W5 stroked engine with the MP race single, what carb should I use?

LMAO

Hi Guy's, I would like to thank everyone for posting pro or con on my question of what carb to use on my 340's, (I have built two 71's) The first one is sitting in my "New" engine stand, and If it starts and runs properly, it will sit in my 70 Dart Swinger. It will have a 4-speed trans and a 8-3/4 rear with 4.30 gear. This 340 is 40 over bore, Cam is a Crane Energizer P/N CRN-150052, Intake: Edie Torker ll. Now, what do you all think of the new "DeMon" 750 carb that looks a lot like the old TQ?

For my combination in my 1966 Barracuda, I'm using the stock 6319s Thermoquad from a 73 340.

It's a 73 340 bored over .040 with the factory style 10.5 to 1 pistons
Comp Cam XE262 cam
273 forged crankshaft to fit to the early 904 TC
Dougs 450 headers
LD340 intake manifold

Seems to be a perfect match for the car and it's not too much for a day to day runner.

I use a Demon carb on my 340. It works pretty well.

Hi Guy's, I would like to thank everyone for posting pro or con on my question of what carb to use on my 340's, (I have built two 71's) The first one is sitting in my "New" engine stand, and If it starts and runs properly, it will sit in my 70 Dart Swinger. It will have a 4-speed trans and a 8-3/4 rear with 4.30 gear. This 340 is 40 over bore, Cam is a Crane Energizer P/N CRN-150052, Intake: Edie Torker ll. Now, what do you all think of the new "DeMon" 750 carb that looks a lot like the old TQ?

Now we're getting somewhere

* 1970 Dart Swinger
> Shipping Weight ..... #3150 lbs.
> Curb Weight ........... #3329 lbs.

* 4-Speed Transmission
* 4.30 Gears

* 340 ........................... {Bored +.040 over}
* Compression Ratio ....... 10.0-1 {?}

* Crane Energizer #150052 {Summit Performance}
* Hydraulic Camshaft
* Lift ..................... .452"/.452"
* Duration ............... 272*/272*
* Duration @ .050" ... 216*/216"
* LSA ...................... 110*

Camshaft designed for Performance Range .... {2000 to 5000 RPM's}

* Edelbrock Torker II
* Square Bore Opening
* Carburetor Height ........ 5.72"
* Port Size Opening ........ 1.00" x 2.17"
* Performance Range ...... {2500 to 6500 RPM's}

For 'Street-Use', a 'square-bore' Carburetor would be most beneficial with
the 'Edelbrock Torker II'.

And 'vacuum secondaries' will make life easier.

A 'No No' Below,

Though the 'Speed Demon' is a fantastic fuel unit, those Carburetors are
designed for Camshafts with a profile of 220* to 240* Duration @ .050" Lift.

-
Back