carter fuel pump made in korea?

Does this suck?

• Yes, Korean Carter pisses me off!

Votes: 120 88.9%
  • No, I like my Carter pump made overseas!

Votes: 15 11.1%

• Total voters
-
A part from China has 2.9 strikes against it before I even take a close look at it, because most of what comes from China is garbage. A part from Korea has no strikes against it, because there are lots of good-quality auto parts coming out of Korea these days. Yes, I'm being serious. Mexico is in the "Korea" category. India is in the "China" category.

Agreed. There are a lot of high quality products coming from Korea. Much better than the substandard crap coming out of China.

I know this is a little off topic but it is thought provoking. What must be done to get the parts stamped with "Made in the USA" on them again? I sold auto parts for a short time and I could tell the USA stuff from the overseas stuff most of the time just by looking at it. What's got to happen to get the foundry's back open and the mills spinning again here?

I know this is a little off topic but it is thought provoking. What must be done to get the parts stamped with "Made in the USA" on them again? I sold auto parts for a short time and I could tell the USA stuff from the overseas stuff most of the time just by looking at it. What's got to happen to get the foundry's back open and the mills spinning again here?

Working the equation backwards to get the USA foundry's and mills back open in the usa looks like this::

Taking company profits out of the equation: Meaning lets say that a USA company is making a 30% profit in china, then we work the equation for them to make a 30% profit in USA. You also have to take out the cost of good sold, since the end buyer has already proven they are not willing to pay more for a USA made product. So profit and cost of product sold have to be equal whether made in china or usa. Only thing left to change is cost to produce item.

To achieve this you have to work the equation as follows:

CHINA Profit = 30%
Profit = cost of goods sold less cost to make
Cost of goods sold MUST equal the same for CHINA and USA made good since the public has already proven they will not pay more for a USA made good.

So you are left with the cost to produce the good(COG) = Labor(L) + Material(M) + Overhead(OH) + Taxes(T)

So Either ALL of the some of these items need to cost less in the USA to move the manufacturing back to the USA just to make the same amount of profit. It would happen faster if you can make more profits (why??) companies move faster with incentive, the higher profits is the incentive.

If we assume that in today's world large companies are buying materials at virtually the same price (at volume) on the world market then you are only left with (L) + (OH) + (T) to be able to lower to lure manufactures back to the USA.

So to answer your question what needs to happen:

Labor -- Needs to lower their wages, benefits, and perks (both union and non union combined on this one)

Overhead -- Needs to be lowered by the companies (ie lower management salaries, less luxurious buildings, offices, plants, etc etc )

Taxes -- Government needs to get out of the way, shrink its size, and eliminate the overreaching control on NON-GOVERNMENT agencies (EPA, OSHA) Shrink the government and you lower taxes simply since a smaller government does not need as much money to run.

UNFORTUNATELY for us, there is not way any of this will happen since everyone in this country believes that are entitled to something for nothing.

When the USA had -- cheaper labor and lower taxes this country Thrived!! but since the DOT.com boom of the 80's and 90's and the invention of paper millionaires wages and taxes have soared pushing companies to search for cheaper costs -- first it was Canada (we all have seen cars made there), then it was Mexico (thanks NAFTA), then it was Hong Kong and Taiwan (kids toys), then it was India (Call centers), and now its China (everything we buy)

Granted when asked one on one we all say we support USA made projects, but when faced with cash in our pocket versus something we want to buy we all go for foreign made since it is cheaper... Let's face it who is still watching and USA made RCA TV -- NO ONE.

Its just the way of the world, and until the people of the USA are willing to change and demand our politicians make the tough choices of eliminating government services, adding tariffs, and lowering costs here in the USA it will never change....

I know this is a little off topic but it is thought provoking. What must be done to get the parts stamped with "Made in the USA" on them again?

Make it the priority. It's just that simple. Presently our priority is "Always the low price…always". As long as we continue to insist that the only valid measure of standard of living is how much crap we own, our store shelves will be full of cheap Chinese junk.

What's got to happen to get the foundry's back open and the mills spinning again here?

It'll happen when we're willing to pay the real costs of the American standard of living…or when we're forced to by costly oil making it impossible to turn a profit after shipping raw materials halfway round the world and finished products back.

In the meantime, we have two choices: lower ourselves into the toilet with China by slashing corporate taxes and gutting safety and environmental protection laws, or raise the rest of the world to our high level by barring imports of foreign-made products not made in accord with US standards of safety and environmental protection.

two interesting responses, thank you. Here's my partial take and of course I'm over simplifying for the sake of brevity. I think it was a combo of over taxation, over regulation, greedy union bosses and greedy heads of corporations. The percentages of blame will vary depending on the product produced and the geographic location.

There are some states where manufacturing is still relatively strong and one thing those states seem to have in common is no or low state income taxes and low property taxes. I think the EPA and OSHA is a very big problem when it comes to manufacturing products here. I think a balance between leaning on companies doing dumb **** and companies doing the right thing can be achieved without strangling the products and forcing them out of country.

And there are still a bunch of folks that's looking for the Made in USA logo and I'm one of them. I just bought another new sand blasting cabinet made by ALC out of Cleveland Ohio. Very well built, thicker steel and better fit and finish than it's Chinese counterparts. Now I could have gotten the larger one that was next to it for the same price but I chose quality over quantity. It's not always possible because sometimes the USA one is no where to be found. I'm the same with my tools, if I can buy USA I do (I oughta own stock in Snap On!) There are folks that tell me they by this one and that one (China, India, Pakistan, wherever) and I ask how many times have you replaced it? I get the deer in the headlights look as a response.

Oh and as for TV's get you a Philips/Magnavox that's 56" or larger (I have a 60"), or a Zenith (except for the portables and small screens) and Curtis Mathis and you'll have an American made TV.:thumleft:

Now about the union's, there ain't enough room here for me to lament about them/that!!!!

And there are still a bunch of folks that's looking for the Made in USA logo and I'm one of them.

I have http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/ in my bookmarks toolbar for easy 1-click access.

Oh and as for TV's get you a Philips/Magnavox that's 56" or larger (I have a 60"), or a Zenith (except for the portables and small screens) and Curtis Mathis and you'll have an American made TV.

Or better yet, don't own a TV set at all.

Now about the union's, there ain't enough room here for me to lament about them/that!

Not much to say, really. The concept is sound and necessary; without collective power for labor the abuses are many and severe. But the implementation is rotten; unions in their current form seem to exist mostly to fill the bank accounts of the union leaders and protect the lazy, the stupid, and the incompetent. I don't know that there's a good solution to the problem.

Holy Cow! Just scanning through this whole deal gave me a migraine. :banghead:

I just wanted to point out that the Carter HV Competition mechanical pump that I bought is stamped "Made in the US", not only on the packaging but cast directly onto the pump itself. Part # is M6270, its for a SB. Maybe just the lower end stuff is being sent out?

reminds me of the family which sits in front of the TV watching what China has done to its own people and than the dad says F--- China and than takes his family for a shopping spree at Wal-Mart.

There are many American made products for your vehicle if that's the route you want to take but be aware, good products aren't cheap and horse power costs money. Someone mentioned Corporate greed! This have been going on forever but there are those who love corporate greed as it puts money into their pockets and than there are those who dislike those who are just trying to help but because of their interpretation of who they listen too, they fall short of the truth...

I just recieved a couple of small parts from MOPAR and guess what one was stamped made in Tiawan.
Outsourcing is everywhere but in goverment aviation programs which must have only USA suppliers for raw materials and all parts manufactured.

Don't blame the government, everyone has their own priorities. Several years back I designed and manufactured a work cart for pinstripers called the KillerKart, they transformed from carry form to work station in 30 seconds, I had a choice to make them here in the USA or in Taiwan, I choose USA and sold out of them, selling them myself because retailers wanted a huge profit. To this day I still get calls from those who have seem them and want one or want to carry them. Whether Eastwood or I forgot who else still wants them. I made them to outlive the user. Here's a photo
koncepts6.jpg

no one sold me knock offs.lol....edl valve covers are made overseas, thier intakes and heads are made in the US...i know this for a fact, straight from Vic's mouth. i work for a large..make that..the #1 performance parts powerhouse... lets just say we've met.lol

special ordered,,they still had the molds, old school no fax no e mail still family owned,,,OFFENHAUSER valve covers made right here in america as vic edelbrock says lol

Attachments

• refreshing the cuda july 2008 055.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 117
-
Back