Casting number

-

cuda67

Reaction score
I do not know anything about casting numbers, my bad. I am looking at a 360 with the following cast #, 4006830-360-2. I know it tells me it is a 360 but what else does it indicate? I assume it tells the year. But I don't know? Any help would be appreciated. They want 500 for it complete. Just found it on, CL in Florida. Waiting for a reply on the miles. It says it is a 78 with about 400 hp.

Well, 400 HP aint stock! LOL!
thats a good ave. price. Running right?

I do not know anything about casting numbers, my bad. I am looking at a 360 with the following cast #, 4006830-360-2. I know it tells me it is a 360 but what else does it indicate? I assume it tells the year. But I don't know? Any help would be appreciated. They want 500 for it complete. Just found it on, CL in Florida. Waiting for a reply on the miles. It says it is a 78 with about 400 hp.

A quick google search of the first part of the casting number pulls up a few links that indicate that this block casting was a 5.9 360 V8 4.00" bore block produced from 1971-1989. I don't believe the date is in the casting number, but there should be a date code stamp on the block.

As to whether it is worth $500 is dependent on it's condition and compliment - what does it come with? heads? intake? what vehicle did it come out of?

the first numbers are the casting numbers the 360 is the ci.in. and the 2 is the number of times the mold has been taken apart and resized

Thanks for the information. I sent the seller a e-mail but he has not responded, yet. I don't have any information about mileage, or if it is running. The picture shows a complete engine intake to oil pan. it has the water pump and brackets, distributor, spark plugs and wires.

The seller contacted me this afternoon. He said it is a 1978 360 from a donor car. He doesn't know the milage but said it ran good after setting timing and some other adjustments. He sent me a couple of pictures and said the engine was clean inside the valve covers without any sludge or old oil??? It doesn't look clean to me... Attached are a couple of pics. He is asking 550. I think 250 maybe 300 tops. What do you think? My plan is to build a 408.

Thanks
360.jpg
DSC00478.jpg

Sounds a little high to me... If your going to build it anyway all you want is a good core... I would go $200 tops.... But may be a little more available around my neck of the woods...

Waaay to high. I get them from motor homes and useally get the whole motor home for $250 to $300. I have bought over 20 of them in the last 6 or 7 years.

I know I'm reviving an old thread I found a 360 with 4006830-360-2 code. When I went looking to decipher this code it brought this thread up. Add says it's been rebuilt but they seem to want too much money for it. It is on Facebook market place. Here is the add . What are the chances this is not the same engine.

I know I'm reviving an old thread I found a 360 with 4006830-360-2 code. When I went looking to decipher this code it brought this thread up. Add says it's been rebuilt but they seem to want too much money for it. It is on Facebook market place. Here is the add . What are the chances this is not the same engine.

Here's how to decode an engine...

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

-
Back