Chase or be chased to the line???

-
@T67power...Every time I have ever lifted on a 6 or7 second digger with my 10:70 car, I gave up the finish line.....I will never, I mean never, lift on a dragester (unless he broke, or is way out of range).
Last year at the E.T. finals in Seattle, I had three 7 second Top Dragesters in a row,at the bracket bash, before they called it because of curfew...cha ching $550.00 split 10 ways,because no time to finish. 1 broke out catching me, because I ran dead on with a 1, the other 2 got treed, 1 broke out trying to make up for her tree, the other couldn't run his number by 2.
Also last year durning 2 different summit series,at our track, I took out the same Top dragester (running in S/Pro) 2 times, both time by a thou, both times because I took the strip by that thou.
With that said, I am glad your package works for you, sounds like you are one really good racer.

@70aarcuda....Disagree....I've won many many races looking over my shoulder with cars in my E.T range and won because of it. Because I played the finish line correctly to my advantage.......I am still with flyfish...Come to Spokane, I would love to race anyone that doesn't look over their shoulder. I could use a round win....I would think your theroy would work good on a pratice tree ......LOL
P.S Nice car, like the way it leaves.

Never said I dont look over my shoulder....can drive the finish line with the best of them.....was not born yesterday....went down the drag strip went i was 17...years old..now 60...do the math..LOL

I just dont worry who I am racing....but..once i get in high gear..i am looking for the other car....

"does not matter who is in the other lane.....went you start looking over at who is in the other lane.."

I does not matter WHO is in the other lane....WHO....like Bret Kepner..or anyone else....LOL..except Bret is .000 everytime...dam..

my point is they....WHO is in the other lane must cut a light and run their dial ln...just like you who is in the other lane....

If you are not a consistent same track player,you can use it to your advantage. Watch the locals run the burnout/pre-stages in warm ups. This can teach you ,their patterns. Do what you can ,to disrupt those patterns. The solid ones,won't respond. Essentially, you are racing,against your own expectations.

bret runs at one track only,and knows every driver,even though his home track is gateway,and a few miles away,he drives 135 miles to another track

@aarcuda...Glad you cleared that all up.I went down my 1st drag strip, Orange county @ 16, I'am 65 (66 in Nov.) I wasn't born yesterday either LOL

It's funny how we evolve as racers(bracket racers). When we start, WOW Cutting a light is Tuff and trying to lift at the finish line......well it's just imposable.

Then you start to learn how to read your car and win a few rounds.

Then you start to play the finish line game........LIFT.......and they drive around you. Push that gas peddle thru the floor board and AND YOU BRAKE OUT!:violent1:

Then one day you start to see much deeper in to things. Like that amber light has 4 stages not just on/off 2(off, starting to come on, on and going off)

And that finish line start to slow down in you mind. allowing you to make the right decision more often.

The fast car has the advantage that the slower car will red light first. The slower car has the advantage of a clean tree and a much shorter time to maintain concentration. If you have to sit there and stare at the tree for 5 seconds it is easy to loose concentration. Deep staging seems to confuse people as well.

Brett Kepner aka "Mr Dirt" has had a lot of success racing "slow" cars at big money races. What I appreciate the most is that he gives back to the sport by holding free Drag Schools where he passes on secrets that would take new comers years to figure out. If you want Drag Racing to continue into the future you have to pass it on to the next generation and teach them to pass it on.

Please come to my race track...I love racing against people that never look over and blindly take too much stripe.

Always watch the other car after you get into high gear. You don't want to take more stripe than you need. Knowing your car is key...and knowing your competition will help you go rounds as well. Yes, cutting a light is very important, but driving the stripe is also VERY important.

Yes, being the faster car is an advantage in that it gives your opponent the first chance to red light...also, the race is in front of you the whole time...but besides the red light thing, to chase or be chased is really a personal preference. You need to be able to do both well to be a good bracket racer.

Agreed!

I leave first 70% of the time(7.60's 1/8th mile 67 belvedere), and I love to be chased. however, as stated earlier, you get no "gimme" rounds( opponent redlights in front of you) when you leave first. you have to work and earn every round you win. even if your opponent redlights behind you, you still had to get away green before hand.

when I decided to build another race car, I put a lot of thought into how I could build my dart around some of the advantages that are out there to be had. I wanted to leave last at least 85% of the time to take advantage of slower cars who redlight. That in itsself, is a major factor to me. to leave last 85% of the time, I had to go faster, but I didn't want to be too fast. I feel that a 6.70's or 6.80's car would be about right. I don't want the closing rate to be to fast for me catching a slow car, or for a faster car catching me on occasion. if I can keep these closing rates more gradual, then I have more time to make better decisions at the finish line, in most cases. Thats just my theory on it, but to each his own, I guess.

@71dart
Actually you do get rounds handed to you leaving 1st, because it is hard to wait. I do get alot of crappy 0.200 or red lights from my opponent.

There is advantages on both side. but i do fell that the faster car wins, for the most advantage.

With that being said, I'm being chased more often then not .

One time that i was able to chase or leave 2nt, was with a 20 sec bug, and I run 14s. Told my self i could count to 4 before i even revved the eng up. The bug left and i when, One Thousand.........Race Brain took over.........rrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Push the front tires thru the beans before my tree even can down.:burnout::angry7:

Being Chased all year in Super Pro with lots of dragsters, only 2 cars are slower, and they both run close to my dial. Not using cross talk on them either:

With a wing and a prayer, along with a few lucky rounds, here is what happened for the year during the Summit series races and the final race. And notice the 3-6 top spots were seperated by 1 round of racing.
In all honesty, a better prepped track brought the car around to a 5 hun window, better then the 2 thou swing it had all year during which I had four 1st round losses! By the way, none were lost on any red lights (brag brag) they were lost because the car wouldn't run the number (can you say in-cosistant Cow Track spinning?) Only 1 breakout and it was a double, I was on a 1000's wrong side!
We'll see what the Summit Series Race Of Champions bring, and King of the Track....More @ the eleven o'clock news!
CLICK HERE, look at Chris White:
http://www.spokanecountyraceway.com/ds-points.html

bump

hemi's always chase down there prey.

here is how i was taught to race, WTF are you doing looking at the other car? your dial in, not heads up! learn to cut a good light, hit consistent shifts, and dont let off (if you do you need to change your dial)

again your racing your self
LOL I'd love to race these guys.

-
Back