Check out these nuts. (Problem solved)

-
Okay guys, problem has been solved. The forward set that was on the donor car was pretty badly rusted together. The stud came out of the cylinder head when I tried removing the nut, as the steel nut was rusted to the steel stud. It took a lot of Evapo-Rust, anti-seize spray and heat from the torch but I finally got it apart. I then reconditioned the two brass washers and two castellated nuts by soaking everything in Evapo-Rust overnight, which got rid of every bit of rust on the nuts. When the nuts were clean, I hit them with the brass brush to finish the job and then treated them to Rust Prevention Magic to keep the corrosion from coming back. The brass washers cleaned up nicely too. See before photos above and after photos below, which also show the incorrect fasteners before removal. I then removed the incorrect nuts and washers on the front and rear of the exhaust manifold, installed the reconditioned nuts and washers, and torqued them to 10 ftlbs. according to the FSM. So for the first time in many years, I have the correct fasteners on my manifolds and I'm a happy camper!

View attachment 1715997245

View attachment 1715997246

View attachment 1715997247

View attachment 1715997248

View attachment 1715997249

View attachment 1715997250
Wow Man, that Looks Killer Dude! and Done Right! Yeah Man!

If you guys want some good advice...skip all that crap from the factory and go buy an ARP oil pan stud kit for a Pontiac...and use those for your intake exhaust studs/nuts. They have bulb ends so that never strip when the manifolds go on n off and WAY STRONGER and fine thread for excellent clamping. Unless you're doing a restoration for conquerors judging you're wasting your time trying to find this old crap.

For years at the place where I worked we used the word "squozen". As in "George was squozen to do this job". It was always something that was difficult to do so the term was a combination of squeezed and chosen - they picked you to do the job because of a skill that you had and you should be honored to have been picked, but it wasn't like you had any choice in the matter either...

For years at the place where I worked we used the word "squozen". As in "George was squozen to do this job". It was always something that was difficult to do so the term was a combination of squeezed and chosen - they picked you to do the job because of a skill that you had and you should be honored to have been picked, but it wasn't like you had any choice in the matter either...
Yeah, I was just funnin around with Dan, but it got turned into something completely different.

I'm done with helping Slant six people here because I'll have some jackwad come in and say only so and so is right.

Every single one of us gets answers wrong sometimes. Me, you…everyone. Look here; I got an answer wrong just the other day. Y'really gonna go take your marbles and flounce off just because someone else got it right this time? What are you, nine?

Just give everybody Dan's phone number and skip the site ...because he's "God of slant sixes".

Come off it, dude. I never claimed to be god of slant sixes, 'cuz I'm not.

Don't worry slantys... I'll go back to lowsom v8's where nothing could possibly apply to slant 6's.

You're seriously this butthurt that you didn't get this one particular answer right?

I built Chryslers early on and crossed drilled Slant six cranks and made my own windage trays n ported my own heads

I don't see anyone doubting that, or giving you flak for it, so…what's your point?

I guess my grandfather working at Kokomo Chrysler and casting all those aluminum Slant six blocks doesn't mean **** either

It has as little to do with your ability to answer questions about Slant-6 manifold hardware as my one grandfather being a renowned expert in public-utilities ratesetting from the 1950s to the 1980s, and my other grandfather having engineered many Seattle-area buildings' HVAC systems in the same timeframe, has to do with anything about me: not a dаmn bit. Quit tryna steal grandpa's valour; get your own.

Last edited:
Wow Man, that Looks Killer Dude! and Done Right! Yeah Man!
Thanks, Ironracer. The funny thing is that this is my fourth slant six engine that I've owned, going all the way back to 1977. In all those years, I never once noticed the fasteners that I just finished replacing. My current engine, for example, was rebuilt by a professional engine building company in Tacoma WA in 1988. When the shop in Portland OR that installed the replacement engine re-attached the manifold set, they just used a bunch of hardware store nuts and lock washers instead of the correct fasteners that I've mentioned in my article. And the engine has ran great since then. No cracked exhaust manifold. But I'm still glad that I got the right stuff in the right places. Those brass washers, triangular washers, domed washers and castellated nuts are getting really hard to find. I was lucky to score a virgin complete set off the donor car that I mentioned, which had just come into the salvage yard when I found it. Had I waited a month, all those nice goodies on that motor would have been gone.

-
Back